Camp Half Blood
Oops! You're not logged in to Camp Half Blood! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you better register before the monsters come get you!
Camp Half Blood
Oops! You're not logged in to Camp Half Blood! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you better register before the monsters come get you!
Camp Half Blood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to CHB!
Camp Half Blood is the sister site of Camp Jupiter.

AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY

Go down 
+2
PearyPants44
Sniggle
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Sniggle
Mega Asshole Duo
Sniggle

AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY Empty
PostSubject: AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY   AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 3:54 pm

AND YOU MUST KNOW IT IS A TERRIFYING SIGHT
BECAUSE YOU AND I ARE LIVING THE SAME WAY

HERE GUYS HAVE MORE AMANADA PALMER LYRICS. /THROWS THEM AT YOU

Anyway, the point of this thread:

So most of us have read enough of the Percy Jackson series to realize that most of the things Percy and his friends go up against on a day-to-day basis are monsters. And the titans utilize monsters in the war against the demi-gods. There's the Chimera, the Minotaur, Echidna, Empousai, the Furies, Hyperboreans, Kampe, Manticores, etc.

In the Titan war, there are a lot of demi-gods fighting under the titans, but I'd say at least half of the army is made of monsters. And with these monsters missing, the titan army is going to be easily defeated.

As it stands, people can create monsters during their rps and then kill them off in the same rp or have the monster kill their own character. Yeah, it works, but I kind of feel like it's wasted potential. Like the Furies showed up a few times during the books, I'm sure they have a history and could have some nasty personalities that would be fun to play as, so couldn't someone take one of the Furies in as a full time character? Even if it counts as a canon and needs to be applied for, since there are 3 Furies and not an limitless amount.

For hyperboreans, they're massive frost giants that fight in the war. I think they're humanoid enough to be adapted into characters with actual substance. An identity, a way to communicate, etc, and they could be rped on their own(not as a third-wheel character) with some of the evil demi-gods, other monster, titans, etc. And of course there is the obvious point where you can use them and fight the opposing side and beat the crap out of them(with author's consent, mind you).

Of course, with characters comes the need for space and development. I think the requirements for having a monster should be the same as that of having a big-three character. It DOES take a character slot, you NEED to use the profile template, you should have a decent amount of posts proving your capability as a rper, and you should only be able to have one at a time, unless you buy more from the drachma rewards shop. Plus, seeing as they're monsters, I think they should automatically have to be against camp half-blood/demi-gods in general.

Regarding the monsters that there are only one of at any given time, like the Minotaur, or the 3 Furies, or Echidna, I think they should still be usable as rp characters, but put under the list of canons in a subcategory of monster canons. Then people can apply, should they want one, and get one if they've proven themselves capable of writing with the monsters.

I talked to an admin about this already, and she said that we couldn't rp monsters because we just couldn't, because the rule has been around forever. I'm still not entirely sure why it was put in place in the first place, or why it can't be changed now, and it's somewhat bothersome that we would have rules with no point behind them. So if someone could tell me why this rule was put into place, maybe it could clear things up for me, because as it stands I don't see a downside to doing this. It provides more playable characters, more support for the titan's side, more drama and plot possibility during battle(because now one person can't just plan out the whole thing, it becomes more complex and interesting) provides a reward(a need to earn drachmas to get more than one monster) and, in my opinion, just seems fun to get to throw yourself into the mind of something that isn't quite human. And not just for a minute for the sake of a rp, but full time.

I don't know how many people would be interested in this. From what I've seen nobody has wanted to be a minotaur/Chimera/etc. except to maybe have them as a third-wheeling pet, but I still think that making this chb illegal for the few who might want to try it is pointless. Yeah only maybe 10 will go for it, but just because there aren't many doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed. D: So I guess just think it over or something. Or if there is a legitimate reason we don't rp monsters here then tell me lol. Cheers!

-Sniggle

Last edited by Chrome Lion on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
PearyPants44

PearyPants44

AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY Empty
PostSubject: Re: AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY   AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 4:02 pm

I really like this idea and I agree. I don't see why people shouldn't be able to RP a monster. I just don't see a purpose for that rule. If this were allowed, I can tell you I'd sign up to have a monster!
Back to top Go down
Sniggle
Mega Asshole Duo
Sniggle

PostSubject: Re: AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY   AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 4:07 pm

Another thing, and this part is completely experimental and could be disregarded completely because I can totally see this part having some downsides, the ability to respawn. Not immediately, mind you. Definitely not in the same rp and, if you're going to avoid being over-powered, not for a few weeks, but monsters, after turning to dust, do eventually respawn. This part I'm shaky on because I can completely see it being abused. So, maybe respawn, maybe not. Monsters will likely fight a lot and die a lot so I can see how respawning in later rps could be useful so the writer doesn't have to make up a new monster every time/buy new monster slots, but at the same time it would definitely have to be monitored to make sure people don't decide to immediately revive their monster in the same rp. That would be ridiculous. :C So this part I'm shaky on but I wanted to throw it out here anyway.

This is unstable. I'm not sure about it. My first post, however, as I've said like a dozen times lol I don't see as something that could be bad.

Also, that song in the title was Astronaut: A History of Nearly Nothing by Amanda Palmer hhnnggghh ♥
Back to top Go down
Zan
Mega Asshole Duo
Zan

PostSubject: Re: AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY   AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 4:38 pm

I don't particularly like this idea of playing the monsters. I just don't think its a good idea. Monsters are mosters they aren't really human or mortal or.. I just don't even know. I just don't think it would be easy or very fun to roleplay a monster. Espescially because you would just keep getting killed over and over again.

Wouldn't that get boring?

I just.. I don't like the idea.
Back to top Go down
Sniggle
Mega Asshole Duo
Sniggle

PostSubject: Re: AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY   AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 4:47 pm

But are you against other people doing it if they like it? The cool part about rping them is you'd be able to do more than just get them killed over and over. Give 'em history and have them adventure and do things with other monsters like campers would with each other. Granted, they probably would't go skipping through meadows but they can still communicate with others, still hunt together, idk...even have relationships. Monsters have to repopulate somehow so I'm assuming they reproduce lol. MANTICORE ROMANCE, YO. /shot

Like the one time where Percy was in that volcano and all the baby monsters were taking classes and learning stuff.. They're more than just mindless killing machines--or they could be, anyway, if we stopped third wheeling them.
Back to top Go down
Zan
Mega Asshole Duo
Zan

PostSubject: Re: AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY   AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 5:42 pm

I don't think it would be a problem if you want to roleplay a monsters... I personally think it'd be incredibly boring but I mean.. you can if you want.
Back to top Go down
Crispy Bacon
THE YODELMEISTER'S APPRENTICE
Crispy Bacon

PostSubject: Re: AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY   AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 6:52 pm

Personally, I don't agree with it because monsters are powerful but they're flat. There's no real story to them that is roleplayed out. All they do is kill things or be killed. Okay, they interact with other characters but there's never any growing, no character development. Do monsters ever really change? They can't love, not really, and what kind of friends do they have? When they have families, are there any feelings involved? And I mean, feelings other than anger and hate and whatever other negative emotions that monsters are only capable of.

They're flat because being able to be three-dimensional is a trait of humans. Monsters don't think like humans, they don't feel like humans, and they often can't do most of the things that humans are capable of doing. What's the point in having a character that is only capable of experiencing only the same two or three things? Isn't one of the the main joys of role playing interacting with characters and seeing the feelings that are brought out? Is it still fun if there are no feelings other than the same few over and over again?

Also, if only several people think that the idea is a good one, how many of those people will actually have a monster as a character? I've known plenty of times where the majority of people have agreed that it's a cool idea but then failed to participate once the effort was put in to introduce it to the site. They agree that it's a cool idea but once it comes to life, they say that it isn't necessarily for them. What's the point in introducing a new idea that only several people will go with?

Of course, if several members feel strongly about wanting monsters as characters, then I won't argue. I'm not trying to disagree at all costs, I'm just explaining my view on this and why I have this point of view. I'm sure there are faults in my arguments, but again, if you really want this, I'm alright with it.

I think that we already offer a lot of options for characters, much more than some other sites may. Some other sites offer maybe two types of characters and that's about it. We try to offer a bit more variety to keep it a little interesting, although the majority of the members opt for demigods over anything else.
You can have camp demigods, enemy demigods, hunters of Artemis, children of the big three are allowed as long as you have 500 posts whereas in another site they might be cut off completely after a certain point. We allow demi-titans, all kinds of nature spirits, satyrs, cyclopes, and centaurs. The two things we don't allow are the children of monsters, because that's really awkward (A human and a monster attracted to each other? Whaaat?), and monsters themselves.

It should also be taken into account that if monsters were allowed, regular monster characters would be restricted to the monsters that are common. Others that are more unique such as the Minotaur and the Chimera would have to be canons and you would have to apply for them, so that does provide some boundaries.
Back to top Go down
Sniggle
Mega Asshole Duo
Sniggle

PostSubject: Re: AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY   AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 7:07 pm

In the books there is no real story, yes, but...couldn't we make the story? That's sort of my point here. I think it might be fun to play out a story, and have a monster that actually does more than just kill. Animals feel more than just hatred, and I'd imagine monsters would, too. Towards demigods? They'd probably hate them. In fact I think they should hate the CHB demigods to go along with the Titan War plot. But I imagine that with a little effort, they could be deeper than just kill kill kill. Just my two cents though.

And that does better help me understand your stance, so gracias for that. owo/ And I would absolutely agree that we do have a lot of wonderful options that, even then they aren't used all that much. But there is still a choice to have them, which is what I'm hoping for. /rolls
Back to top Go down
Crispy Bacon
THE YODELMEISTER'S APPRENTICE
Crispy Bacon

PostSubject: Re: AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY   AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 7:30 pm

Alright, I understand your view on it a little better now too. I agree that it would be pretty interesting to see some roleplayed monsters running around and possibly given some more interesting aspects than killkillkillkillkill. I always thought that monsters were sort of spawned from darkness and misery and impure thoughts, so that they were just capable of negative emotions. However, they probably can feel more than just, well, angry things.

So, I guess I'm alright with trying it out then. I'd prefer to get a few more opinions before anything else though.
Back to top Go down
Sniggle
Mega Asshole Duo
Sniggle

PostSubject: Re: AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY   AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 7:53 pm

A shot at it is all I ask.

AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY Tumblr_m0dxiqZFuJ1qjnvmp

AND YES, MORE OPINIONS, PEOPLE. AMANDA PALMER LYRICS COMPEL YOUUUU.

Also, Canada:
I always thought that monsters were sort of spawned from darkness and misery and impure thoughts,

You were clearly thinking of me, not monsters, pffft.
Back to top Go down
Charlie
Skye's Minion
Charlie

PostSubject: Re: AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY   AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 1:51 am

I thought about this when I first joined the site, but obviously Twin got all the boldness because I didn't bring it up.

I think it would definitely be a good idea to have them and I'm totally with Sniggle on this. I can see a lot of potential for RPing monsters, and monsters would also give Battles more depth. Really, we need to develop the entire Titans side more. At the moment the Titan army is just a nebulous mass of evil that isn't really roleplayed at all. With the addition of monsters, that might change.

Maybe if the Admins are still having doubts about this you could let, say, Snig and I do a test roleplay to find out if character development is viable.

Idk. Just putting ideas out there.
Back to top Go down
Prince Hawk

Prince Hawk

PostSubject: Re: AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY   AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 2:32 am

well most of what I was hoping to say was already said by Crispy and I agree with her. The common monster/creatures, like Nymphs (Dryad, Naiad, Oread etc) Satyrs, Centaur, Cyclops, Hyperborean, Huntresses. But what about adding Pegasus, Oceanides, Nereids, Vampires, Werewolves, to the list of allowable creatures, and also adding prominent monsters, such as the Minotaur, The Furies, Echidna, The Chimera, The Hydra, Polyphemus ETC to the Cannon play list, because most of these monsters really do have there own thoughts, just like any real creature would.
Back to top Go down
http://jyhswrites.blogspot.ca/
Sniggle
Mega Asshole Duo
Sniggle

PostSubject: Re: AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY   AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 1:55 pm

Reviving this thread for justice. I'd love to rp this with Charlie to see what would happen. o:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY   AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AND YOU MAY BE ACQUAINTED WITH THE NIGHT, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE DARKNESS IN THE DAY
Page 1 of 1