Camp Half Blood
Oops! You're not logged in to Camp Half Blood! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you better register before the monsters come get you!
Camp Half Blood
Oops! You're not logged in to Camp Half Blood! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you better register before the monsters come get you!
Camp Half Blood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to CHB!
Camp Half Blood is the sister site of Camp Jupiter.

Expect the Unexpected [Essie]

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Essie Bear

Essie Bear

Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 7:54 pm

"I knew you would be good. And I'm bad at combat anyways." she went for a direct strike, making sure, that she was protected. She managed to get a good hold on her knife. She needed a bow. That was her real weapon. She was horrible at thinking in the moment, unless it involved a bow and arrow.
Back to top Go down
Bre Bre

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 8:05 pm

Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road.
Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go.
So make the best of this test, and don't ask why.
Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 1293479855_5948_full

It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time.
It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.
I hope you had the time of your life.
| M E L I N A | J O H N S O N |
| D A U G H T E R | O F | A T H E N A |

"How about you try something like this," she said, releasing her sword from Essie's grasp. As an example, Melina flicked her sword with her wrist at Essie's neck, but didn't follow through with the assult, as she didn't want to harm her friend. To keep herself protected, the daughter of Athena placed her shield in the most vulnerable of spots--mostly her shoulders and chest--while proceeding with the strike. Her body was kept evenly balanced and protected with this manuever, while her enemy would either stagger back a little, or recieve damage from the sword's edge.

"Get it?" Melina returned to her usual stance, watching her friend intentively. "Fighting is all about balance, speed, agility, and y'know, the usual. You have to keep your body even with itself, that way when you're attacking, you don't leave yourself wide open, but you're still delivering a solid attack."
Back to top Go down
Essie Bear

Essie Bear

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 8:15 pm

Essie nodded, "Okay," she took a breath and performed the move the Lina had shown her, "Like that?" she asked. She backed off, she went to quickly retreive a bow as well and came back. "Arrows, those I can fight with." she said, as she held up a an arrow.
Back to top Go down
Bre Bre

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 8:35 pm

"Yes, exactly. Just remember to stay on guard. Don't hesitate; follow through with whatever comes to mind. In battle, as you know, you don't have time to think anyway. Just maintain balance and you should be fine."

Melina felt an odd closeness to Essie; a closeness that hasn't been felt since Victoria, the teenager's old best friend that died only a few months ago. She couldn't replace Victoria with anyone, she just couldn't. Wouldn't that be betrayal? Then again, the daughter of Athena had a feeling that Victoria didn't mind, even underneath that stubborn personality. With the time spent with Essie, Melina got the feeling that Victoria was already replaced.

So be it.

She gave her friend a warm, comofrting smile, and said,
"Can I see what you can do with those arrows?"
Back to top Go down
Essie Bear

Essie Bear

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 8:43 pm

Essie sighed, "Come at me." she held the arrows at a weird way, with no bow attached, this was a way she could fight. She knew it. She had become closer with Melina, like she was a friend. The word was foreign to Essie, she never had real friends, just her brothers and sisters that used to watch over her when she was little, when the ares kids picked on her. She shook the memory out of her head as she awaited Lina's move.
Back to top Go down
Bre Bre

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 8:51 pm

Everything-- it seemed so familier. Melina knew that wasn't how to hold a bow and arrow, and the way it was held was completely out of the ordinary.

She's almost exactly like her, she thought.

The way Essie bent the rules-- it was oddly familier to the things Victoria had done. Essie seemed to have a little restraint, though, to Melina's knowledge. She didn't know everything about the daughter of Apollo just yet. The memories of her old friend flashed in her mind, and it all happened because of a simple arrow.

Shaking away her thoughts, Melina went ahead and charged. She crouched to the ground, keeping her shield above her head and feet, so that it sort of looked like she was completely hidden by a giant disk. The teenager swung her sword and Essie's legs, and then returned to her original stance on the other side of the Apollo child.
Back to top Go down
Essie Bear

Essie Bear

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 9:02 pm

Essie jumped and aimed her arrow right under the shield taking hold of the strap and pinning Lina to the ground. She held on arrow's pierced end towards Lina's throat while the other was still firmly holding her down, she hoped that she had done it correctly.
Back to top Go down
Bre Bre

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 9:09 pm

Melina smiled weakly. "Interesting return," she concluded. "However, you're going to have to do much better than that."

Melina quickly sprung to her feet, removing Essie's hands from her shield. She wasn't going to loose. Her six years of training was on her side.

"Your move this time."
Back to top Go down
Essie Bear

Essie Bear

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Essie kept her face blank from expression, a skill that she had perfected when she was 13. She thought for a second. she threw her arrow straight into Melina's shield and grabbed it, jerking the shield against Lin's arm. she grabbed her dagger and quickly put it to the back of Lina's neck. She wasn't so close that it could do any damage, but it was just enough.
Back to top Go down
Bre Bre

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 7:35 am

"Just for future reference," she said in a soft tone of voice, "the position you're in can leave your body completely off balance."

As if to prove a point, Melina sweeped at Essie's legs, hopefully cauing her to fall on her rear. "Balance," she reminded her.
Back to top Go down
Essie Bear

Essie Bear

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 11:24 am

Essie jumped as Melina tried to trip her and flipped just for a show. "Yes, balance. As in, I wasn't tripped." she smirked and winked at Lina. She was used to fighting like this, it was a way of life for her. Fighting with an arrow instead of her dagger, using the arrow to her complete advantage. She understood that. "I was a bit off balance, but it can work." she said, looking at Lina, smiling.
Back to top Go down
Bre Bre

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 9:07 pm

"Good," she complimented. "Remember to keep your body guarded, though."

Melina swung her sword at Essie's stomach, keeping her body protected with her shield. Her footwork was fast and even, quickly shifting her legs back and forth when necessary.

"You're not as bad as you think, you know."
Back to top Go down
Essie Bear

Essie Bear

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 12:26 am

Essie didn't move fast enough as the blade barely touched her skin. She hardly felt it, but the blood streaming out wanted to make itself known. "You spoke too soon." she said quietly, going over to her things. "Before, I was fighting with arrows, not a sword or dagger." she looked at Melina, like her cut was nothing to her, which it wasn't. "I'm horrible when it comes to those." she admitted, dabbing her wound with a cloth.
Back to top Go down
Bre Bre

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 8:49 am

Melina hastily put her sword and shield on the ground and ran towards her friend.

"Essie, forgive me. That was my fault entirely."

She couldn't bare to see her friend like this. She couldn't watch anyone in pain for that matter. Luckily, she always kept a pack of ambrosia in her pockets just in case of emergencies. At the moment, she was determined to help Essie.

"Here. Have some."
Back to top Go down
Essie Bear

Essie Bear

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 9:00 am

Essie shrugged, she had been hurt much worse than the petty cut on her stomach. "Okay." she obliged and took a bite of the ambrosia. "It's fine, by the way." she looked at Melina, "It doesn't hurt." she said. After the words came out of her mouth, a searing pain with through her. She grimaced in pain , clenching her jaw.
Back to top Go down
Bre Bre

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 9:08 am

Melina took a banage from her pocket and wrapped it around Essie's waist. If only she had been more careful, this wouldn't have happened.

"That should help a little.

She reached for her own waist, the part where her abdomen was located. She remembered how she obtained that huge scar, and quickly shook away the memories from her head. She didn't like talking about it, especially since a close friend of her's died in that battle.

"Well, your not the only one with a scar on your waist," she said, lifting her shirt only far enough for Essie to see the scar on her abdomen.
Back to top Go down
Essie Bear

Essie Bear

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 10:49 am

Essie weakly smiled. "If you don't mind..." she looked at Melina, "How'd you get it?" she asked, fixing the bandage to be tight enough on the wound. It wasn't hurting so horribly at that moment. She just couldn't do any really sudden movements.
Back to top Go down
Bre Bre

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 10:56 am

Melina hesitated, not knowing what to say. If she mentioned how she got the wound, she herself might just break down into tears. She never had it easy, ever.

"I was on a quest," she explained carefully, slowly. "My friends and I were trapped in the underworld, and Hades wanted to kill me for interfering with his, uh, son."

That son was Kai Crosshawk. He wasn't just a child of Hades, but Melina's boyfriend as well. Hades was protective of his kids, but the god really did handle situations rationally.

"His scythe pierced my abdomen. My mother, Athena, came to save me shortly afterwards."

Melina looked down at the ground, her hands in her pockets. If she could, and she was alone, she would've cried. She couldn't now; she had to be strong for Essie.

"That's how I got that scar."
Back to top Go down
Essie Bear

Essie Bear

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 11:00 am

Essie looked at her sadly, she saw the pain in Melina's eyes. She got up, ignoring the pain and gave her a hug. Melina had become a friend to her, she was determined to make sure Melina knew that too. "I'm sorry." she said quietly to Lina. She would've shown Melina her arms, but she wasn't going to dwell on that past anymore. It was behind her now.
Back to top Go down
Bre Bre

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 9:17 pm

Melina returned the hug, forcing a small smile. She could only manage a half-hearted laugh to hide her emotions.

"It's okay. That kind of stuff usually happens to me all the time now."

The teenager emphasized the word 'now.' It never used to be this difficult before when she traveled the world with her dad, switching from school to school in each continent and state. Now that she knew she was a demigoddess, situations became a lot harder for her. Pain and death.

"I'll be fine." She tried to make her voice sound reassuring, but even the tiniest bit of sadness seeped through.
Back to top Go down
Essie Bear

Essie Bear

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 9:21 pm

Essie looked at her sadly. "Everybody wished that they could go back to life before Camp. It's hard, but i guess everyone has a purpose." she said, trying to reassure Lina. 'Not me' she thought to herself, she didn't want to go back to life in the streets after her mom died in Brooklyn. "I'm here for 'ya." she said, giving her a side hug.
Back to top Go down
Bre Bre

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 9:26 pm

"Don't worry about me. I'm fine."

Melina tried to shake away her thoughts, but it was as if the memories wanted to remain in her head. She thought too much, which always reminded her of a memory she didn't want to remember, but also did.

"Enough about me. Is there anything you would like to share?"
Back to top Go down
Essie Bear

Essie Bear

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 9:29 pm

"Except that I came from the worst parts of Brooklyn and Harlem?" she shrugged, "Nah." she thought of everything else she was hiding from her friend, but she had to. It just was simply Essie's personality. "Okay. You wanna go get something to eat?" she asked, motioning towards the mess hall.
Back to top Go down
Bre Bre

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 4:19 pm

Melina listened intentively to her friend, nodding her head as Essie spoke. Even after all her years of traveling with her father, she never did visit Brooklyn. Though, judging from Essie's perspective, the part of the city where she dwelled from wasn't exactly safe. Melina was from Manhatten, and moved back there after years of traveling. That was the year she realized her true identity and came to camp.

"Yeah, I could eat. It's almost lunch, isn't it?"
Back to top Go down
Essie Bear

Essie Bear

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 8:14 pm

Essie's stomach growled as if on cue. She smiled. "One other thing." she smiled, "This isn't my real accent." she said, smirking. She hadn't spoken in her true Brooklynite accent since she was 14. "No on'es understands it." she said, revealing the accent she kept hidden so well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Expect the Unexpected [Essie]   Expect the Unexpected [Essie] - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Expect the Unexpected [Essie]
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next