Camp Half Blood
Oops! You're not logged in to Camp Half Blood! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you better register before the monsters come get you!
Camp Half Blood
Oops! You're not logged in to Camp Half Blood! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you better register before the monsters come get you!
Camp Half Blood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to CHB!
Camp Half Blood is the sister site of Camp Jupiter.

Characters abilities

Go down 
+3
#Megz
Bre Bre
Makani
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Makani

Characters abilities Empty
PostSubject: Characters abilities   Characters abilities I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 2:49 pm

I'm pretty new here, but I've noticed a bit of a discrepancy- on the character template there's no where to write your character's demi-god abilities. While that's fine for kids of the big three, people who rp minor god's kids have a chance to get away with murder. For example, if I rp, say a child of Nyx (Cthonic greek god of night) whose to say I can't make this kid's power the ability to 'create, lyk, masive whips o' darknez and, lyk awsum skilz to kil ever1'.

To stop power playing (and the obnoxious mary/gary-stu plague) I have a few suggestions

1. Assign several people (I don't mind volunteering for this job) to make a massive list of the Greek gods and their children's powers. We can start with the obvious and list down the big three and the other more talked about gods from the book. Some god's powers though, we'll have to make up without relying on the great Riordin. For example, all children of, say the minor god Thanatos (god of death, not Hades) could have the ability to sense death or when someone was going to die instead of 'awsum death tuch and, lyk can kill any1 with a look'.

2. Create a power chart- much like those seen in video games, a power chart would show things like speed, attack power, etc. For every good aspect of their power they have to balance it out with something bad.

3. Assign people their powers after they pick their god parent instead of letting them decide what those powers are in a battle field. If someone chooses a lesser known goddess like Hemera (godess of daytime) they get assigned to have the power of casting light instead of 'bein all pwerful durin the day'.

Or anything else, I don't know I'm no genius.

Also, there should be a way of monitoring people's martial skills- maybe they have to rp one to three training rounds before they have basic defense and offense and get in at least one battle before they can be in the journeyman sword-skill range. This will stop people from joining camp and, three days later, triple somersaulting onto the battlefield and using their 'asum skilz' to defeat non-powerplaying opponents.

Again, not meaning anything derogatory by this, just hoping to help put systems in place.
Back to top Go down
Bre Bre

PostSubject: Re: Characters abilities   Characters abilities I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 3:24 pm

I believe that the admins take care of all that just by looking at the character template. They've given suggestions on the characters, and most of all, have helped new users with the "Mary/Gary Stu" problem. I wouldn't say that we need a power chart, mainly because the admins take care of it like I stated above. Even so, it was a good thought.
Back to top Go down
#Megz
Experienced Poster
#Megz

Location : None of yo damn buisness....probably at a party though...

PostSubject: Re: Characters abilities   Characters abilities I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 9:08 pm

What if a demigod has a child with a god does that make them more powerful or just regular demigod powerful? I ask because my charachter is a daughter of hecate but her dad is a son of hades.
Back to top Go down
Bre Bre

PostSubject: Re: Characters abilities   Characters abilities I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 9:27 pm

I would believe that only the god/goddess' abilities would apply instead of the demigod's. After all, the blood of a god/goddess is more powerful than that of a demigods, mainly because it's them that brought demigods into the world. I can see where you're coming from though, Megan, but both Hecate and Hades have something to do with necromancy. Either way, your demigod ends up with powers of necromancy, magic, and witchcraft.
Back to top Go down
#Megz
Experienced Poster
#Megz

PostSubject: Re: Characters abilities   Characters abilities I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 9:40 pm

so that would make her a bit more powerful in magic and stuff but not total overlord of the world powerful. oh another question (sorry) how come there are no minor gods, or gods going to the camp just to visit or whatever? Question
Back to top Go down
Zan
Mega Asshole Duo
Zan

PostSubject: Re: Characters abilities   Characters abilities I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 9:43 pm

Uh...we just really haven't planned on much.
Back to top Go down
#Megz
Experienced Poster
#Megz

PostSubject: Re: Characters abilities   Characters abilities I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 9:45 pm

oh okay im just really cureios(sp) about stuff. sometimes my mom calls me curiose gorge and offers me a bannana. monkey I usually stomp out of the room.......after eating the bannana lol.
Back to top Go down
Makani

PostSubject: Re: Characters abilities   Characters abilities I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 10:03 pm

meganpurple65 wrote:
What if a demigod has a child with a god does that make them more powerful or just regular demigod powerful? I ask because my charachter is a daughter of hecate but her dad is a son of hades.

You don't think that's a bit... I don't know, impossible? Why would a son of Hades sleep with Hecate (they are related) and secondly R.R has never shown us a demigod with more than one god in their ancestry. It also feels a bit like one of those "Well, she's half elf, a quarter fair a quarter dragon...ect"
Back to top Go down
#Megz
Experienced Poster
#Megz

PostSubject: Re: Characters abilities   Characters abilities I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 10:19 pm

REALLY?!!? I had no idea! now i feel like an idiot. oh well. Theres always time for new things.
Back to top Go down
Katie Firebird
Experienced Poster
Katie Firebird

PostSubject: Re: Characters abilities   Characters abilities I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 10:31 pm

It's quite plausible -_- everyone at camp is related, were not strictly. 'NO THAT LEAF WAS NOT HERE IN THE BOOK IF YOU THINK ABOUT THAT LEAF WE KILL YOU!' type of forum, were more of a 'oh that leaf always causing mischeif, alright it's there if you need it or have some plan for it'
Back to top Go down
http://thehungergamesrp.forumotion.com
Zan
Mega Asshole Duo
Zan

PostSubject: Re: Characters abilities   Characters abilities I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 5:19 am

Hahaah! Katie you just made me laugh and it's five thirty in the morning.
Back to top Go down
Makani

PostSubject: Re: Characters abilities   Characters abilities I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 6:17 pm

Ah. I'm sorry, I won't speak up politely the next time I see a sign of Mary Sue. God, this reminds me of trying to give art critique to my twelve year old cousin. "That's lovely, Sarah, and I really like the the colors but don't you think the legs are too short?"

"No! No, omigod, Julie you are sooo stupid. This is my style!"

Seriously. Polite critique of a possible character flaw. I didn't call you an Australopithecus with bandy legs. I just said it seemed a bit much.
Back to top Go down
Katie Firebird
Experienced Poster
Katie Firebird

PostSubject: Re: Characters abilities   Characters abilities I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 6:51 pm

Yea okay, It's just that your opening statement came across with hostility. I'm pretty sure you didn't mean it that way and neither did I. In any case this forum isn't strictly Canon as you seem to have suggested in your second post. Please forgive me for any rudeness there as well.

~Katie
Back to top Go down
http://thehungergamesrp.forumotion.com
Inaniloquist
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Characters abilities   Characters abilities I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 9:57 am

Well, on the character template, there's a section called "Talents," which I've always taken to be the spot where your character's demi-god abilities are written.

I agree that there needs to be some system for character abilities, but at the same time, I'm a bit hesitant to remove that area of freedom from the members of the forum. Do you know what I mean?
At the moment, mostly it's just admins review the characters before members start roleplaying and we try and make sure characters aren't too OP.

On the whole Demigod x God topic, I'm a little hesitant. You'd then have a character who has the full abilities of a child of X god, as well as minor abilities of a child of Y god, which is really over powered.
I don't really have a problem with demigods of mixed lineage, so long as they're balanced. I myself have a character who is a decendant of both Athena and Demeter, as his parents are both demigods. Since this is the case, he not only has morelet's say, godly genetics than the average camper, but he also has more mortal genetics. I'm pretty sure godly abilities are recessive... or I dunno, get watered down through the generations.

After reviewing Megan's character, it doesn't seem as though Minerva has inherited any Hades child abilities. So I think we're good there. It really just seems like the fact that her father is a demigod is just a device to say that she knew she was a demigod since she was young. Effectively, her father could have been the son of anyone.
Back to top Go down
http://wonderlandacademy.forumotions.net/forum.htm
Nico
Chatbox Ruler
Chatbox Ruler
Nico

PostSubject: Re: Characters abilities   Characters abilities I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 6:10 pm

--I personally think it is completely fine to have characters dating, half demigod half god kids, or even half demigod half demigod. Think about it this way. All of the gods are related, but they sleep with each other, and they have children, and their married. So you see? It's perfectly fine, as long as they don't go overboard with powers, and I don't know any of them that do.

You mentioned power playing, and yes, some people don't follow that rule, but believe me, the others make sure that was NOT okay. I don't see it as too much of a problem, it really isn't a very big problem right now.

I don't think we should have a chart, just because that doesn't sound like CHB, and I don't think one is needed. If you are wondering what to do for your god, look one one of the following sites:

1) The Percy Jackson wiki. It has a section titled powers.

2) If your god isn't on the Percy Jackson Wiki, check out wikipedia. I know it isn't always right, but I'm telling you, the gods pages are almost always right.

That's all I have to say. Sorry if I offended you Makani. I understand your concern.

~Allison (Nico)--
Back to top Go down
Makani

PostSubject: Re: Characters abilities   Characters abilities I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 7:11 pm

Nope, no offense taken. I was just a little concerned when I saw people starting to blend different gods children together as it reminded me very much of "the Vampire whose half werewolf and has the powers of a demon!' type thing. You know, the Mary-Sue whose related to everyone and has all the abilities. But now that I know it's not the case, que sera sera.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Characters abilities   Characters abilities I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Characters abilities
Page 1 of 1