Camp Half Blood
Oops! You're not logged in to Camp Half Blood! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you better register before the monsters come get you!
Camp Half Blood
Oops! You're not logged in to Camp Half Blood! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you better register before the monsters come get you!
Camp Half Blood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to CHB!
Camp Half Blood is the sister site of Camp Jupiter.

run, don't walk [open]

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

run, don't walk [open] Empty
PostSubject: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 11:32 pm

If there was one place in camp where Charles felt at home, it would be the stables. He loved the horses - he fed them, brushed their manes, cleaned their stable, and of course rode them. He even gave riding lessons to those who asked. More than once he'd been mistaken for as an extra help instead of your average camper. Not that Charles can fault them for it - he spent more time here than anyone else.

He had taken the horses out to graze so he can clean their quarters - shoveling out manure and replacing the hay, mostly. He'd been going at it since 1 o'clock and now, two hours later, sweat ran down the sides of his head and glued his large shirt to his back, and his hands were as dirty as they could get. Heaving the last sack of hay, Charles surveyed his handiwork and smiled. Almost done.

He went out to where the horses grazed to grab the hose. He would wash his hands up and fill the troughs with fresh water, and then he could take a well-earned shower and perhaps have a round or two with Bucker. Sounded like a plan.

But, just before he finished washing the dirt off his arms, he heard an anxious neigh. Shutting off the hose, he quickly turned to the horses. There were a few campers roaming about, some content with watching from the fence, while some approached the horses. The horses were mostly well-trained, except for one. Unfortunately, someone had gotten close to that one.

"Hey! Get out of there!" came Charles' warning as he dropped the hose and sprinted across the pasture.

Bucker got up on its hind legs in an effort to scare off the camper. The whites of his eyes already showed. If the camper didn't take the hint, Bucker would not think twice to kick...

Maybe, Charles' warning had been too late.
Back to top Go down
http://phoenixsapphire.deviantart.com
pinkgirl
Experienced Poster
pinkgirl

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2016 8:19 pm

Sutton was one of those people that loved adventure or couldn't back down from a dare. She wasn't exactly an adrenaline junkie like other people due to her past, but she still enjoyed it. So when a son of Hermes dared to to ride a horse in the stables, she agreed to it. It seemed easy enough. He said he had a specific horse picked out for her to ride, but she didn't care. She'd win thirty bucks, and for once she'd been included in something. When the son of Hermes gathered up a group of campers to watch her, that should've been her first clue that they were just using her. Sutton had been too busy focusing on the task at hand to notice.

They led her to the stables and showed her which horse. She'd been horseback riding a few times in her life. In California mostly was where she went because the grass was always green and the sun was always shining. Sutton always went by herself or with her little brother, not with her step-mother and her father. They never cared where she went with her brother as long as she took care of him. She always made sure he came first before her. She cared for him more than his own mom. She missed him a lot and didn't even know where he was half the time because they were in a different place every week.

The group of demigods told her they were going to watch near the fence incase anything happened, another clue that she'd missed. Sutton nodded her head as she opened the stable door and slipped inside. The horse gave an anxious neigh as it realized someone was in the stable with him. Thanks to training, she jumped onto the horse easily and quickly. Sutton was still sitting on top of the horse when she opened the stable door to showcase that she completed it. "See? It wasn't that har-" She'd spoken too soon, and she didn't hear the warning that was shouted at her. The horse threw her off with a force she didn't know horses had. She landed on her back with a sickening crack. She was pretty sure she had hit her head on something. She couldn't hear the sound of the horses hooves as it ran off, but she did hear the snickers and the laughs of the other campers that were watching her. Sutton didn't even want to get up out of embarrassment and shame.

Back to top Go down
http://btvsrole-play.forumshome.com/
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2016 8:10 am

The warning had been too late. Charles watched in horror as the girl sailed through the air like a rag doll. She landed flatly on her back with an audible crack. Laughter followed, but Charles hardly heard. Dread coursed through his veins, the icy chill fighting to stop him in his tracks, trying to force him to turn back and run from the scene of the crime, but it was compassion that steeled him forward. His steps were quick and heavy as he jogged over to the girl's side.

Under normal circumstances, Charles would have thought twice about coming near another camper. He surely smelled of sweat and dirt, having worked for hours. However, this was an emergency. He wasn't even sure if the girl was conscious - she might have gotten a concussion or something, and merely considering it made him nauseous. When he was eight, he fell off a horse and hit his head on the picket fence, knocking him out.

Charles crouched beside her, suddenly unsure. He was ready to help her to her feet but question was - can she get up?

"Are you alright, Ma'am?" he asked tentatively. "Can you move?"

He could hear the distant padding of hooves. Bucker had gotten far now, and Charles could imagine the horse throwing his head back haughtily, proud of his feat. Of all the horses this girl could've chosen...
Back to top Go down
pinkgirl
Experienced Poster
pinkgirl

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2016 8:11 pm

All Sutton could feel was a stinging pain that ran through her body. She didn't want to get up, but she knew she'd have to get up eventually. What happened?, was the first thougt that seemed to run into her mind. Then the sudden realization of what had happened hit her with a, Oh. She heard someone say something to her but it sounded messed up as if they were talking underwater. There were only a few things people could ask or say in this situation. "Porca puttana che fanno male! Io sto bene... speriamo." She said automatically in Italian, her native language. She sat up slowly, her head aching. "Sorry. I'm fine... hopefully." She translated for him as she touched the side of her head. She could see blood on the palm of her hand. She must've hit her head on a rock or something when the horse threw her off. She was still recovering from her wounds from Kronos' Camp. She didn't know how much more pain her body could take before giving up. No particular place hurt more than the other, but she was pretty sure a cut on her side opened up or she broke a bone somewhere. She was still feeling relatively dizzy, and she felt like if she stood up, she'd just fall right over again.

Sutton could still hear the laughs and snickers of the other campers; she could practically feel them pointing at her. She was tempted to throw a throwing knife at one of them to possibly scare them or even hurt them. But she knew Chiron wouldn't allow that so she refrained from doing it. She looked at the person who talked to her for the first time, and he looked familiar. She dismissed the thought because he was most likely in the Hera cabin with her and had seen him pass through once or twice. "I'm Sutton, daughter of..." She said sluggishly. Oddly, she couldn't remember who her god parent was. "someone." Sutton finished finally before blinking a few time obviously confused. She stood up slowly, and she already felt like she was going to tip over. She could see the horse that had thrown her off a few yards away. She wanted to go after it but decided it wasn't the best idea. The horse would probably kick her or something and she'd end up getting a concussion. Today was not a good day for her.

Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2016 12:33 pm

Whatever she said, Charles was convinced that she wasn't fine. He wasn't blind, he could see the red stains on her head and hand, and he was almost certain that it wasn't the only thing that hurt. His lips set in a thin line, Charles took note of the slight wobble in her step as she rose to her feet and he couldn't help but hold her arm gently yet firmly to steady her. The sluggish way she introduced herself only added more to his suspicions.

"Well Sutton Ma'am, you picked one hell of a horse. Bucker ain't called Bucker for nothing," he told her with a shrewd smile. "I'm Charles, Hemera. I've seen you around the cabin, I think."

The laughter by the fence only got louder, fueled perhaps by the sight of a musty old ranch boy coming to Sutton's aid, but Charles paid them no heed. His smile turned into a grimace as he surveyed Sutton's state, the cogs in his mind turning for a logical solution.

"You can walk, right? I'll get you to the infirmary. That's a bad head wound you got there."
Back to top Go down
pinkgirl
Experienced Poster
pinkgirl

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2016 3:09 pm

Sutton nodded her head at what he said, partly because it was like he was still talking underwater. Eventually it started to clear up, and she started clearly listening when he said his name. She was sure if it was her imagination or not, but it sounded like the laughing was getting louder. How that was possible, she didn't know. She gripped Charles' arm as she leaned down to get the throwing knife out of her boot. With quickness, she threw at the laughing group of campers. Usually, she was great at hitting her target, but right now her aim wasn't the best and she didn't have a particular target to hit. Her intention was just to scare them off, but she wouldn't mind if she hit someone by accident. At this point, she wasn't thinking straight and didn't know right from left. If this was what being drunk felt like, she'd never drink.

At the mention of the infirmary, she couldn't help but sigh. Sutton had just gotten out of that place less than a week ago. They surely wouldn't be happy to see her. When she had been there, no one had come to visit her except Daniel only because he felt bad and Cressida was in the bed next to her. She turned to him and stared at Charles for a moment as if she was searching for something to say. After a moment of looking at him, she lied, "I can make it to the infirmary on my own. I don't want to bother you anymore than I already have." Her real plan was to go to her cabin and just take some ambrosia. She'd heal eventually, but it was better than staying at the infirmary all by herself. "Thanks for your help." She added before taking a wobbly step back.

Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 8:50 am

Before he knew it, Sutton retrieved something from her boot and soon a flash of bronze made its way towards the gathered campers. Cries of shock replaced the amused laughter, and for a moment silence reigned. No one got hit, much to Charles' relief, but the shift in atmosphere was more than palpable - the air grew heavy with tension as what once were harmless stares turned into icy glares. Charles turned to Sutton, his face unreadable.

He saw through her lie the moment the words came out. Charles shook his head, not letting go. "It's fine. Ain't nothing left to do anyways." He didn't add that if he left her, those angry onlookers wouldn't think twice to seek revenge.

"Oi!" someone shouted. "You owe me thirty bucks!"

It wasn't directed at him but Charles almost groaned. He couldn't help shifting his gaze skyward as if in silent prayer. Must this get any worse?
Back to top Go down
pinkgirl
Experienced Poster
pinkgirl

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2016 5:45 pm

Sutton was about to argue that she had just been there less than a week ago and didn't want to go back but decided against it. She couldn't help but let out a long, draw out sigh before saying, "Okay." She heard someone call out to her, and she was tempted to say something sarcastic back, but she was too busy trying to stay upright to say anything.

Sutton absolutely hated the infirmary. There was nothing to do except sleep and heal, and she was the type of person to always be doing something. She was sure the Apollo kids were glad to see her leave because of her constant moving around the building. "Is my head supposed to hurt this much?"She asked lowly so only he could hear. The rest of her body was starting to return to its previous state before she had gotten thrown. Some places were starting to feel better than others. She had been right and the stitches on her cut had opened up a bit. "Do you work at the stables?" Sutton asked as the entrance to the infirmary neared. When the pair arrived, a son of Apollo already recognized her immediately. "Back again Sutton?" Even though her head still hurt, it didn't hurt enough for her to not think of a quick reply. "Last time wasn't my fault." She responded through gritted teeth.

Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2016 7:19 am

Thankfully, Sutton ignored this one, though a little part of Charles wondered if it was because she had run out of throwing knives. As he stepped out of the fence he threw a short rueful glance at the horses he should have steered back to their quarters. Already he was thinking of making his way back as soon as possible to make sure no one got in trouble with the horses. The stunt Sutton pulled should have discouraged anyone getting ideas. Charles tried to ignore his growing worries and focused on helping the injured girl walk all the way to the infirmary.

At her question he looked up at the side of her head where the drying blood stained it. He winced. "No, it shouldn't. But you're awake so that's a good sign." He paused as she asked him another question, and this time a small smile graced his lips. "I guess you can say that. I lived in a ranch before so the stables are the closest thing to home."

Charles heaved a sigh of relief when they reached the infirmary. The healer did not seem too thrilled. Sutton also seemed to return the resentment, judging from the way she spat the words through her teeth.

Charles cleared his throat, catching the son of Apollo's attention. He noticed the way he looked him up and down in disgust, as if he was something that crept out of a garbage can. He chose not to comment on this. "She fell off a horse. Landed on her back but she hit her head somewhere. There was bleeding but I think it already stopped on the way here."
Back to top Go down
pinkgirl
Experienced Poster
pinkgirl

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2016 7:38 am

Sutton nodded her head when Charles said he used to live in a ranch. She wasn't used to actually living in a home. Her father made them travel all the time, and if she wasn't traveling she was at boarding school. She was used to the big hotel rooms and the penthouses on the top floor. She couldn't truly call anything her home other than camp. Her family did have a home, but it was vacant most of the time except for Christmas and Easter when they knew she came to visit. She rarely visited them because of her father, but she did for Max. She wouldn't have done it if it weren't for him. His face always lit up when she came to visit and that was the only thing that drove her to come back.

The infirmary wasn't as packed as it was last time she had been there. She couldn't help but note that Cressida's bed was empty so Sutton would be alone. Sutton practically consider the daughter of Zeus as a sister, and once she found out what she did this time, she would not be happy. She'd assume that whatever Cress said, Daniel would agree with. She was planning on attacking the Apollo healer with the celestial bronze dagger in her back pocket so she could go back to her own cabin to fix herself there. Even is this unstable state of mind, she noticed the look the Apollo healer gave Charles. She would've attacked him right then and there if Charles would've left already. Right now, she was doing a lot of things she would've never done in her regular state. "Is there a problem?" She asked venomously with narrowed eyes.

Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2016 7:56 am

Sutton had noticed the disgust in the son of Apollo's face too, from the looks of it, and unlike Charles she did not seem to brush it off. Charles wished she did. If she annoyed the healer any more she might be refused the help she needed.

The son of Apollo wrinkled his nose. "He's not exactly... sanitary. He could get someone infected."

Charles nodded. Even he could admit that he badly needed a shower. Handling dirt and hay for most of the afternoon certainly meant that he packed boatloads of bacteria that wouldn't be welcome in an infirmary. "That's fine, I understand," he said before Sutton can respond. He gave the girl a stern look, willing her to drop it. Then he turned back to the healer. "So, you got all that you need to get her treated?"
Back to top Go down
pinkgirl
Experienced Poster
pinkgirl

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2016 5:41 pm

Sutton didn't understand. Why didn't Charles say anything? And most importantly how did he make it seem like it didn't bother him? She was used to that feeling from everyone else, but she couldn't just stand there and take it. She wouldn't usually give it back to the person, but right now her brain hurt so much she didn't particularly care. She learned that you had to care for your friends and family. She considered him her friend already, even though he might think she was irritating for Gods' sake, but it didn't matter. He was the only person who had helped her out of that entire laughing group of camper.

Sutton was about to respond to the healer, but shut her mouth when Charles gave her a look. All she could do was tap her foot impatiently, desperately trying not to say anything. The healer gave him a curt not to answer his question before leading Sutton to one of the beds to examine her. Before she followed him, she said to Charles, "Thanks for your help. Maybe I'll see you around the cabin." She finally followed the healer to one of the empty beds. About an hour later, she was laying in one of the beds. They had fixed her up rather quickly, and her head didn't hurt anymore, but they said they wanted to keep her there for the rest of the day incase of internal bleeding. There she was, doing absolutely nothing except look at the ceiling and think. She didn't even have a book to read. She sighed as she looked around the empty room. She was all by herself.

Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2016 9:38 pm

Charles smiled. "Don't mention it."

He watched her retreating back until she sat on one of the beds, then left before someone else could shoo him out.

~*~*~

Squeaky clean, Charles recalled with disdain how Delia kept saying that after he cleaned up. He had scrubbed himself red so there wouldn't be any trace of mud left. He changed quickly afterwards, putting on a camp shirt a size too big that it hung loosely off his frame and a pair of equally big cargo shorts that used to belong to his dad. He was in a hurry after all, and was out of the cabin with his short hair damp and dripping.

Roughly an hour had passed since the accident. Nothing much happened within that hour. The crowd jeering at Sutton had already dispersed and moved on, and without the distraction Charles easily tidied up. Bucker was twice as stubborn as usual but he managed, only slightly regretting the fact that he wouldn't get to work on training him today. He wanted to check on Sutton instead. Though he didn't say it at the time, he felt that the whole thing was partly his fault for not training Bucker well.

Slightly panting, Charles entered the infirmary and found Sutton in the same place he'd left her, looking bored. He smiled as he stepped in front of her bed. "So, how're you doing?"
Back to top Go down
pinkgirl
Experienced Poster
pinkgirl

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2016 9:57 pm

All Sutton did for an hour was hum songs to herself and oaky with the sheets on the bed she was laying on. One of the nicer healers left a book on the bed, but Sutton had read it a few times already. She could practically recite the whole book out loud. The infirmary was still mostly empty as the day went on. No one came to visit her, but the healer that had given her the book had talked to her for a few minutes. She had to leave to attend to someone else and help them with their injuries. The son of Apollo she had met when they arrived past by her occasionally, and she simply gave him dirty looks as he walked by. Other than that, she didn't do much and for a girl with ADHD, it was very unnerving. She just wanted to get up and leave.

Sutton was actually surprised when Charles came back. She didn't actually expect him to, most people said things that they didn't mean. She was glad though, and a bright smile lit up her face. "A bit better actually. Thanks for bringing me here again." She said. She was sure that her thank you's were starting to get annoying, but she couldn't help it. "Now that my head doesn't hurt anymore I can remember who my god parent is." She added as a joke. "Did you find the horse?" She asked concerned. The horse might have thrown her off, but she didn't care. If it got lost, it would be all her fault.

Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2016 10:20 pm

She did seem better, though Charles wondered why she was still here if that was the case. He gave a slight nod to acknowledge her thanks and started to chuckle. "Well let's see then. Who's your parent?"

He took one of the free chairs beside the bed, obviously meant for visitors. "Bucker's fine. Took a while to get him back inside - I found him snacking at the strawberry fields but after he's had his fill of strawberries he's good to go back." He paused and looked down, then turned back to Sutton with an apologetic look on his face. "Sorry you had to go through that. Bucker's not as friendly as the other horses ever since that... thing happened with his owner. I've been trying to get him to warm up to other people but he ain't budging. Stubborn as a mule."
Back to top Go down
pinkgirl
Experienced Poster
pinkgirl

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2016 3:48 pm

Sutton sat up more before crossing her arms over her chest. "Selene, Titan goddess of the moon." She responded triumphantly. Her smile only got brighter as Charles pulled. A hair out next to her bed. It was definitely better staying at the infirmary when people came to visit you, otherwise it was just drab. She was used to the business of the Hera cabin. People were always leaving, people were always coming. She enjoyed reading in the Hera cabin. Sure it wasn't quiet, but it seemed like home. Or the closest thing as possible to home. The quietness of the library always unnerved her. The Athena kids were always there studying, studying for what exactly she didn't know. There was occasionally a person or two there who just happened to love reading, but they usually just grabbed their books and left.

"Oh that's good. I was hoping he didn't get lost." Sutton could tell that it looked like he wanted to say something, and she was going to ask what was wrong before he started talking again. She listened to him and shrugged it off. "Don't worry about it. It's not your fault. It would've just been nice if someone told me that before." She added with a lighthearted laugh. She cast her eyes downward as she asked quietly, "How come you didn't do anything when that healer gave you that look? Didn't it bother you?" She finally looked back up at him. "You don't have to answer if you don't want to."

Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2016 9:10 pm

"The moon huh? That's nice. My mom is the goddess of day. Opposites," Charles added with a slight chuckle, amused with the coincidence. He hadn't even known there was a titan goddess of the moon.

Charles nodded at her, even though he still felt partly to blame. He made a mental note to work twice as hard on Bucker from now on. Perhaps sometime, once he was trained well, he could bring Sutton back for a ride. Charles toyed with that idea for a bit but didn't say anything. For all he knew Sutton might have written off riding for the rest of her life considering what just happened.

At what she said next, his brows furrowed, more in confusion than anything else. "What look? Oh, you mean when he told me I might infect someone?" He smiled. "Well I'd been walking around in hay and horse crap. I can see why he won't want me around patients. Thanks for the concern though."
Back to top Go down
pinkgirl
Experienced Poster
pinkgirl

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2016 9:47 pm

Sutton couldn't help but give him another smile. "Do you have any half-siblings?" She asked curiously. She looked like the only daughter of Selene so far. She would've preferred to have a few half-siblings. Someone related to her and have the same mother. She would've loved to have someone help her with her powers, she didn't know a single thing about using them. Controlling them was the hardest part, but for now she had just given up on them. They weren't that useful in a fight anyway.

Sutton simply nodded her head at what he said. She was going to say something else but decided to leave it. A healer walked over to them then. "You can leave now Sutton. There doesn't seem to be any more problems." The healer walked off as Sutton got out from under the sheets. She was more than glad that she didn't have to stay there anymore. "Do you want to go back to the stables?" She asked with a small smile. She rarely went to the stables, and she wouldn't mind spending more time there now.

Last edited by pinkgirl on Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2016 10:35 am

"Yeah, two in my dad's side. But in mom's..."Charles shrugged. "Not sure. It's hard to tell since everyone in the cabin has different parents, not like in the others. How 'bout you? Must be rarer for you being a Titan kid and all that."

He rose to his feet when Sutton was halfway up, glad that she was cleared to go. He wondered if he should offer to accompany her back to the cabin but that was soon cut short by her question. Well that took him aback.

Charles honestly expected her not to set foot in the stables again, especially just after the accident. She might have recovered quickly, but wasn't she afraid of it happening again so soon? Granted, he wouldn't let anything bad happen but still.

"Do you?" he shot back. "You just got treated and all."
Back to top Go down
pinkgirl
Experienced Poster
pinkgirl

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2016 12:41 pm

"One on my dad's side. None on my mom's side so far." Sutton said shrugging it off. She felt practically by herself. Her dad hated her, her mother was a Titan, and she had no siblings. Her half brother hardly counted because she saw him once every few years. She loved him as if he were her real brother though. Whenever she did visit him, she tried to spend as much time as she could with him. She wished she could call him, but it'd practically be asking for a monster to come and get her. Even when they could talk on the phone, the reception was bad and she could barely even understand what he was trying to say. "I wish I had a half sibling in camp though." She added sadly.

"Sure, why not? Worse things have happened to me before." She responded. Her mind drifted towards Kronos' Camp. That was definitely worse than falling off the horse. Kronos' Camp was definitely worse than anything else. She had the scars on her arms and back to prove it. The nightmares she got every night only reminded her of the terrors she went through. She'd never be able to forget it even if she tried. She'd probably never set foot off campus ever again unless she absolutely had to. She'd have to eventually if she wanted to visit her brother. Just already thinking about it made her nervous. Sutton looked through the window to see that the sun was already starting to set. "Besides, we have time before we have to go back to the cabin."

Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2016 8:08 am

"Yeah, I guess a sibling in camp would be nice to have," Charles agreed.

He followed her gaze to the once blue sky now turning a tint of vermillion. If it were any normal day, he would be leading Bucker back to the stables after an hour of training by now. It still amazed him that Sutton had no problem going back after her head injury but then she had a point. Demigods had worse problems than raging horses. The way Sutton spoke didn't even make him want to think of what she had been through. He detected a faint note of fear on her features that convinced him not to press on.

"Okay then, if you're sure," Charles said, starting to walk out of the infirmary and expecting the girl to follow. Digging his hands in his pockets, he began the familiar trek to the stables. A stray thought drifted to him of a conversation that didn't seem resolved.

"Hey, Sutton, before the healer came, I thought you wanted to say something?" he asked her, curiosity getting the better of him.
Back to top Go down
pinkgirl
Experienced Poster
pinkgirl

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2016 10:34 am

Sutton wanted to go the stables. She was definitely still scared about the horse doing the same thing again but she was definitely prepared. She knew which horse to not go near this time. She'd never properly been to the stables before. Maybe once or twice to go see someone, but she'd never ridden a horse here at camp. She supposed she'd never found the point in it when the camp had a library she could enjoy much more. Sutton followed Charles outside. She had to walk a bit faster to catch up, but she didn't mind. It was still somewhat warm outside as the sun kept sinking towards the horizon.

Sutton looked at him with confusion before she remembered. "Oh yeah, right, um..." She said with a slight hesitation. "When I fell, and you came to help me, the campers laughed louder. Doesn't it bother you when people do that?" She asked curiously. She didn't know how or why he didn't do anything about. She could only take so much until she exploded or got upset. She was used to it by now, but it still hurt.

Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2016 11:42 am

Charles mulled the question over. Did it bother him? To tell the truth, it slightly did. Mostly because the crowd chose to laugh at the injured girl rather than help her out. Somehow it was a behavior most would come to expect - stay back and don't be a good Samaritan lest you do more harm. He had heard of ridiculous stories where the good Samaritan even got sued for trying to help. But it hadn't occurred to him that the campers started laughing at him too when he came to Sutton's aid, which she now brought up.

A few moments passed with Charles biting the inside of his cheek, until he finally spoke.

"When I was a kid and my dad was teaching me to ride, I got into this temper tantrum. I don't even remember what it was about but I was so mad, and I was trying to ride this horse. A few seconds in, the horse sped off like a bullet. I fell and broke my arm." He chuckled at the memory. "My dad told me that it's because I was angry. That horses mirror their riders' feelings. So if you're scared, the horse felt just as unsure. If you're mad, the horse might get more aggressive.

"After they patched up my arm, I knew what to do. I practiced being calm before riding. You're angry? Count to ten and wait until you calm down. Sad? Catch your breath, pull it together, keep your cool. It got hard sometimes but after a while, it became a habit."
Smiling, Charles turned to Sutton. "I guess that's why it didn't bother me much."
Back to top Go down
pinkgirl
Experienced Poster
pinkgirl

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Sutton watched him carefully, and she could tell he didn't want to answer. "Actually, just don't worry about it." She said before he started talking. She listened to him carefully and nodded her head along. "I'll have to remember that next time." She said with a warm smile. It was definitely hard to calm herself down at times. Most of the time she could keep her cool, but when she got mad there wasn't much she could do about it. "Since I asked you a question, it'd only be fair if you asked me one. You have any for me?" She asked with the smile still on her face.

They arrived at the stables soon just as the last bit of the sun was going down Half Blood Hill. She looked at all the horses before looking back at him. "Which one's your favorite?" She inquired as she walked past by some of the horses. She finally stood in front of Bucker, the horse that had thrown her off. She immediately felt bad. "What do you usually feed the horses?"

Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2016 1:39 pm

Charles considered it. "Actually, I have one. But don't feel like you need to answer just because I answered yours. I ain't gonna hold it against you if you choose not to," he clarified, not wanting her to feel pressured. "Earlier you said you've been through worse. What happened?"

Charles looked up at the darkening sky. By this time all the horses would be safely inside their stalls, and he had already made sure of that before paying Sutton a visit in the infirmary. As they entered the stables, he flicked a switch and cast light all over the horses. A series of nickers echoed in the wooden building, coming from various stalls. Smiling, he lagged a bit behind Sutton as she observed each horse. Before he could answer her questions, Sutton stopped in front of Bucker and, with widened eyes, Charles stepped in between them.

Only Bucker's large head peeked out from the stall, and at the sight of Sutton he threw his head back with a loud snort. "Whoa Buck," Charles said in the calmest voice he could muster, reaching out to distract him from Sutton. The horse lowered his head and Charles petted his neck, working his way towards the spot between his eyes. "It's okay, Buck. She won't hurt you."

Once Bucker relaxed Charles glanced at Sutton, looking more serious than he had ever been. "Stay back, alright? A few steps more..." He sighed. "Sorry, he really doesn't do well with people, but maybe soon. I won't take chances right now. It's actually pretty lucky that he didn't kick you back then."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: run, don't walk [open]   run, don't walk [open] I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

run, don't walk [open]
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next