Camp Half Blood
Oops! You're not logged in to Camp Half Blood! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you better register before the monsters come get you!
Camp Half Blood
Oops! You're not logged in to Camp Half Blood! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you better register before the monsters come get you!
Camp Half Blood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to CHB!
Camp Half Blood is the sister site of Camp Jupiter.

Roleplaying Tips

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

Roleplaying Tips Empty
PostSubject: Roleplaying Tips   Roleplaying Tips I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 3:57 am

These are just a bunch of tips to hopefully improve our writing/roleplaying in chb. Anyone can add to these. Just post below and I'll add it to the list. I'm aiming for this to be some sort of collaboration, so ideas are welcome :D

» Try to write more than four sentences. Aim to improve your writing skills!

» Don't repeatedly ask your rp partner/s to post. Their lives do not revolve around roleplaying. Real life bites back, folks.

» In addition to the previous tip, try not to constantly ask people when they will post and if they can post, and don't bug people to rp. -Vina

» Check your spelling and grammar. Microsoft Word works wonders.

» After posting, review your post and see if you've given your partner something to reply to. A good way to check this is to ask yourself, "Can I easily reply to this?"

» Every few seconds, try to use select all (Ctrl+A) and copy (Ctrl+C) when you're typing a post. So many roleplayers have lost great posts to events like browser crashing or accidentally clicking on a link while writing. Now, if you suddenly experience something like that, you can just click Paste (Ctrl+V) to resume writing from where you've left off.

» When roleplaying with a group of people, follow the agreed posting order. It's considered rude to skip someone's turn. Who likes being ignored, right?

» When creating a character, list down a few of their positive traits and negative traits (think pros and cons). This makes it easier to see if they're balanced in terms of their personality.

» Write. And then write more. Imagine what your character is thinking. What do they want to say, but don't? Is there a particular person on their mind? Is the other person bringing back bad memories? Add little bits of your character's memories into the story. Writing more, although it is not always the best option, is sure to refine your writing skills. It's okay if you babble on for a little, as long as it's not pages and pages of random things having to do with your character. -Bean

» Do not bug the staff, especially character mods and admins, to approve your character. Their lives do not revolve around character-approving and, speaking from experience, I found it rude when someone badgered me to accept their character back when I was also a CM. Just wait patiently. The staff will get to you as soon as they can.

» Why is your character here? Explain the events that lead up to them being here, through memories or actions. People like detail, and they want to get to know your character more. Try not to use run on sentences either, use commas and periods as needed. Read your reply in your head and ask yourself "Am I really satisfied? Is there something I can add or take away to make it better?" -Wicked

» Add quotation marks when your character speaks. Also, when he/she says something new, press enter once or twice to make a new paragraph. We have those buttons so it makes for easier reading. -Wicked

» If you want to roleplay, but haven't set up a plot with anybody, make one and when you type in your title, add {Open} or [Open]. That way anybody can reply. If you don't do that, some people might think it's private, so you won't get any replies whatsoever. You can even add how many people you would like, 1, 5, or 2.-Wicked

» Try and improve. Its never easy, but its possible. Try write more everytime; use tips from here; study other peoples styles, learn from them and try improve yours. -Vina

Last edited by sapphire on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:45 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://phoenixsapphire.deviantart.com
Beanie
If you can't have Scott McCall, why bother?
Beanie

Roleplaying Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Tips   Roleplaying Tips I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 7:03 am

»Write. And then write more. Imagine what your character is thinking. What do they want to say, but don't? Is there a particular person on their mind? Is the other person bringing back bad memories? Add little bits of your character's memories into the story. Writing more, although it is not always the best option, is sure to refine your writing skills. It's okay if you babble on for a little, as long as it's not pages and pages of random things having to do with your character.
Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

Roleplaying Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Tips   Roleplaying Tips I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 9:58 pm

added, bean! :D
Back to top Go down
a. hams
King of Hell
a. hams

Roleplaying Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Tips   Roleplaying Tips I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 1:23 pm

Okay let's see here I have a ton... If you want you can add all three with connecting sentences. Oh look at Wicked utilizing big english words her teacher taught her.

Why is your character here? Explain the events that lead up to them being here, through memories or actions. People like detail, and they want to get to know your character more. Try not to use run on sentences either, use commas and periods as needed. Read your reply in your head and ask yourself "Am I really satisfied? Is there something I can add or take away to make it better?"

Add quotation marks when your character speaks. Also, when he/she says something new, press enter once or twice to make a new paragraph. We have those buttons so it makes for easier reading. 

If you want to roleplay, but haven't set up a plot with anybody, make one and when you type in your title, add {Open} or [Open]. That way anybody can reply. If you don't do that, some people might think it's private, so you won't get any replies whatsoever. You can even add how many people you would like, 1, 5, or 2.
Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

Roleplaying Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Tips   Roleplaying Tips I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 11:22 pm

all have been added! :D
Back to top Go down
lara croft
Vampire Slayer
lara croft

Roleplaying Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Tips   Roleplaying Tips I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 5:22 am

Try and improve. Its never easy, but its possible. Try write more everytime; use tips from here; study other peoples styles, learn from them and try improve yours.
Back to top Go down
http://tombraiders.tumblr.com
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

Roleplaying Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Tips   Roleplaying Tips I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 5:46 am

added! :D
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Roleplaying Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying Tips   Roleplaying Tips I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Roleplaying Tips
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Camp Half Blood :: Community :: Guides & Tutorials-
Jump to: