Camp Half Blood
Oops! You're not logged in to Camp Half Blood! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you better register before the monsters come get you!
Camp Half Blood
Oops! You're not logged in to Camp Half Blood! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you better register before the monsters come get you!
Camp Half Blood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to CHB!
Camp Half Blood is the sister site of Camp Jupiter.

Think Before You Ask [Guide]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sniggle
Mega Asshole Duo
Sniggle

Think Before You Ask [Guide] Empty
PostSubject: Think Before You Ask [Guide]   Think Before You Ask [Guide] I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 8:07 pm

Alright, a lot of people roll into chat asking the admins and mods what this or that is, or when events are going down. There is this general assumption that the admins know all of these dates. And a lot of the times, they might. But it's better to check for yourself before you ask and a.) make yourself look like a fool because some answers are literally written down for you and b.) make the admin go searching for the post that contains the desired information. So I'm just gonna throw some directions in here for what you should do in the event that you have a question.

1. Search for yourself. Not every question will be answered, of course, but a lot of the rules/guidelines posts, tutorials, etc. can answer things for you. And be sure to read all the forum categories. I've been asked before where specific shops are, and we do have a category labeled Shops & Services, so there's a pretty high chance that you can narrow your search by looking in there.

2. Read the news and updates, especially if you're pondering about specific...well...news and updates. Admins and mods sometimes make changes before they write an update. At that point, it's acceptable to ask. But try to search for the topic in the News and Updates category beforehand--that's what it's there for.

3. Something that ties into number 2, is don't skip while you read updates. Sometimes updates are a little long, but if they are, that's because they contain a lot of important information. So if you have a question pertaining to that topic, read the whole update before asking staff. Members can become broken records asking the same questions which are very clearly stated in their relevant topics. The staff doesn't write that just for you to skip over. They write that so you can be in the loop and get the information you want. So it's silly to ask them for the same information in chat or pm. I personally disagree with whoever said there is no such thing as a stupid question. Because asking something where the answer is just a few clicks and some reading away is really stupid. Again, not all staff will have memorized every date, rule, topic, etc. Then they need to go search and re-read things because you were too lazy to do it yourself. It becomes a hastle for others. If it's right there, and you choose not to look for it, then you don't deserve to know.

Now, that being said, there are also cases when it's extremely acceptable to ask questions. For instance:
- When you've searched the whole forum and can't find what you're looking for [applies mostly to newblets]
- When you've found an answer but it sounds obscure to you and you don't understand it
- When the information is actually missing

etc.

Basically, if you choose not to look and read, then you choose not to know, so why should other people go do that for you? Spare yourself the humiliation and hunt around for yourself first. Then, if you still aren't satisfied, ask.
Back to top Go down
Myst
Lovesick Crackhead
Myst

Think Before You Ask [Guide] Empty
PostSubject: Re: Think Before You Ask [Guide]   Think Before You Ask [Guide] I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 8:05 am

Ooooh... Maybe I should have read this topic earlier because some days ago I asked Zelly almost 15 questions in the Chatbox... It will not happen again...
Back to top Go down

Think Before You Ask [Guide]
Page 1 of 1