Camp Half Blood
Oops! You're not logged in to Camp Half Blood! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you better register before the monsters come get you!
Camp Half Blood
Oops! You're not logged in to Camp Half Blood! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you better register before the monsters come get you!
Camp Half Blood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to CHB!
Camp Half Blood is the sister site of Camp Jupiter.

The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Nico
Chatbox Ruler
Chatbox Ruler
Nico

The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] Empty
PostSubject: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 3:32 am

The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] Tumblr_m4ec8lgRXT1rw6dyio2_r2_500

June walked along the shore barefoot, kicking rocks out of the way. It had hurt at first, but as June made her way along the path, she began to feel only numbness. Numbness was something June could handle. Pain was a whole different story. That didn't apply to just rocks, as you might have guessed by now. All her life, June had lived in a world of no feeling. Just yesterday her enter existence had seemed to change. She . . . met up with an old friend. Caleb. Like a lot of people at camp, June had been reunited with a schoolmate through fate. June was almost positive her and Caleb's story was the most unique, but since June really had no other friends, she wasn't sure about the other kids.

Before June could turn an immediate corner, the water lapping at her feet picked up quickly and tripped the demigod. It was strange, because typically June was good at keeping her balance. She did have excellent fighting technique, which she earned from her father, after all. The slider coming from June's feet startled her, as it didn't sound like water, and shrieked when she noticed water snakes, at least three other them, coiling themselves around June's ankles. Try as she might, June couldn't get the serpents off of her legs. Determined not to shriek for help, the girl attempted to pry the snakes from her feet herself. She didn't have much luck, and one managed to bite her. Everything in June's mind went blurry as the bite caused her to lose her grip on consciousness.

•••

Minutes later, June was completely underwater and still not awake. She thing to wake her was a memory that brought her back to reality. She still needed to talk to Caleb. It took June everything she had to open her eyes, and though she hardly had much energy to begin with, June used all of it up holding her breath for a few seconds longer and swimming to the surface of the lake. June's strong suit was need swimming, and after the little predicament she had just been put in, June didn't want to ever get near the water again. Her swimming was very hesitant, until she made it to the sand. Then she took off running towards the path she had grown so accustomed to.

Her feet couldn't get her to her meeting spot fast enough. She had someone managed to arrive first, which made her wonder if something bad had happened to Knives. She was supposed to go looking for him, out of concern. That's what friends did, but she felt like standing up against the tree, sopping wet, did just as much for Caleb as attempting to help. June didnMt have a clue where her friend even was, or if he even encountered something like she had. All she knew was there was an odd sort of venom being pumped through her blood system and it may have already been effecting her brain. That's why the teenage girl crumpled to the ground, holding he head, and forgot about drying off. She would airdry eventually.

"Come on, Wright. I have things I need to say to that face of your's . . ." June mumbled, still dealing with the severe headache.
Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 7:48 am

The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] Caleb-150x150
Caleb Austin Wright
Son of Momus

Something told Caleb that this had been a very bad idea from the start. Perhaps it was the thick long snake glaring at him through the window nearest his bunk when he woke up. Or perhaps it was how dogs just seemed to snarl and growl at him as he walked past. It may also be because of the sudden flock of vultures suddenly flying overhead, a rare and troubling sight for the young demigod. What were vultures doing in Long Island? Did they break out of a nearby zoo somewhere? Caleb tried his best to ignore these signs, trying not to consider the idea that he was missing out on something here. As to why his presence would suddenly cause a bit of a ruckus in front of certain animals, he didn't want to think about.

"This is getting out of hand," he muttered darkly to himself, his words almost lost amidst the loud angry barks from some of the campers' dogs. "Control your dogs, will you?" he hollered to the boys, who scowled in response as they restrained the labradors they were walking. Sneering as he turned his back on them, he vaguely heard the sound of something snapping in the air before two forces suddenly knocked him off his feet. A scream ripped his throat as he felt sharp teeth pulling on his legs, grazing the skin underneath his denim jeans. Caleb crumpled, trying to pull his legs free of the pointed fangs and slobbery tongues. It was another few seconds before the two campers finally got their dogs off, but the damage was done. Through half-closed eyes Caleb can see the ripped ends of his pants darkening with stains of red.

"What the hell?" His voice came out as nothing more than a whisper as the sudden stinging pain started to overwhelm him. Trying not to gag at the sight of his own blood, he suddenly felt himself being pulled up to his feet. Some nectar and ambrosia later he found that he can stand on his own feet again. Some of the pain still lingered however, when he started to walk. He brushed off the others' attempts to get him to the infirmary, telling them that he was alright, but not leaving without throwing some harsh accusations at the dog owners. Trying to help, huh? You're just trying to keep me alive so you won't have to get punished for what your stupid dogs have done, he thought scathingly, limping in the direction of the lake.

Each step brought him misery, but Caleb had to do this. He just badly wanted to see his only friend again. Even if he was now bleeding to death.

...okay, that might have been an exaggeration, but it felt that way to the son of Momus.

His eyes still moist with tears from the previous encounter, Caleb finally reached the path they took the day before. A couple of minutes of wandering later, he found himself standing in the familiar clearing and looked around for June. The sight that met his eyes troubled him more than anything. Ignoring the pain from his heels, he limped closer to June's soaking wet form crumpled on the ground. "Didn't think you'd go for a swim before this," he managed, stopping right in front of her that his bloody shoes and pants were right in her view. "Mind telling me what you're doing on the ground, Prenston?"

Back to top Go down
http://phoenixsapphire.deviantart.com
Nico
Chatbox Ruler
Chatbox Ruler
Nico

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 2:40 am

((I changed June's play-by, *thumbs up*))
The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] Tumblr_lk8cg5tLwe1qcqfmno1_400

June had to rub her eyes several times to make sure she was actually seeing Caleb, and it wasn't just the weird venom trying to erase her memory. It wasn't working. June knew Caleb now. If she could survive forgetting him for three years, she could withstand a nearly harmless snake bite. It still gave the daughter of Ares a nasty headache, and she could barely move her limbs without inflicting pain, but she still had what mattered. June had her memory of Caleb.

The decision June then made was a last minute, impulsive choice. She wrapped her arms around Caleb's neck and hugged him tightly. Somehow, she had managed to make her way over to him. It was partially her attempt to hide the tears that bulged at her eyelids, but partially her need to comfort both of them. As he stood in front of June, the girl had noticed his leg. She didn't want to bring it up, but it bothered her. There was something odd about the way both demigods were beaten up. June was usually good at staying strong in front of others, but the worry on her unface was unmistakeable once she pulled away. So was the blush. The pink tone on June's cheeks was a new touch to her typically pale face, and The smug smirk on her face seemed to add a little cheer. June didn't usually hug others, and though some of Caleb's blood had gotten on her during thenhg, she wasn't going to let it ruin her day.

"And I didn't know you were going to practice bleeding buckets before coming to see me either, so I guess we're even." June tried to cross her arms but felt a sharp pain in her muscles and cringed. She settled for raising an inquisitive eyebrow at the son of Momus. "I fell," June responded dryly before remembering who she was talking to and warming up a little bit. "The lake has a snake problem. Someone should probably tell Chiron or Mr. D. It couldn't be either of us, though. No one would believe my story."

June sunk back into her small frame and looked up at Caleb, disappointment in her eyes. "I'm not lying. There really were snakes. That's why I have cuts on my face. I think my face ended up in the . . . Rocks." June gently touched one of the small gashes on her forehead, removing her fingers to see the blood. It wasn't a pleasant sight. Thankfully, June wasn't afraid of blood like a lot of the so called ""fighters" at camp. "Crap," June cursed, rubbing her fingers together and smearing the blood across her hand. Before she could get too worked up over the blood, June looked back at her friend and rolled her eyes. "We're bloody messes. But Icdan't go to the infirmary. You know I can't."

June shook her head and slouched against a nearby tree. She picked at her "dangerous bracelet" absentmindedly. She had forgotten about her label ever since she started really talking to Caleb. "If they see me . . . They'll make me go back." June's voice cracked as she spoke about getting caught. "But we can't just stay here and talk while you bleed to death and snake venom runs through my bloodstream." June shut her eyes tightly at managed to keep from crying once again. To do so she had to scrunch up her face, but hopefully Knives was busy with other things.

"What I'm really trying to say is . . . nothing is keeping you from getting help with your leg, but . . . this sounds selfish, I know . . . I want to stay with you. But according to my healer, I'm stable. The people in charge around here have a way of combining two things and getting three. With you beat up, and my face scratched up, well, you can figure it out from there. 'June's acting up again.' 'How are we supposed to keeping putting up with this?' 'She belongs in a mental hospital, not at a paradise like camp.'" June chuckled as she imitated the catty healers. Looking over at Caleb she instantly dropped her smile and shook her head as hard as the poison permitted.

"No, no. Go get that looked at. It looks pretty bad. I don't really want to know what happened. I just want you to get okay." June locked eyes with Caleb and raised both of her eyebrows, trying to force a response out of the boy. Her strong mask faded briefly as June reached for her cheek and saw more blood, but she caught a gasp just before it slipped out, rubbed the blood on the same spot Caleb's blood had stained, and went back to staring into Caleb's glasses.
Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 10:09 am

Caleb Austin Wright
Son of Momus

The hug disarmed Caleb so much that he had to think for a few moments to process June's words. Even so, that sudden gesture still managed to invade his mind, distracting him more than ever. The noticeable flush on her cheeks bothered him too, mostly due to the fact that he could feel his own face heating up. Caleb reached a hand up to his glasses and fumbled to adjust it even if it didn't need any more adjusting. He cleared his throat as well--more out of embarrassment than anything.

"Let me get this straight. You fell into a lake, got bitten by a snake or more, then hit your face on some rocks." It apparently sounded that funny to Caleb, proven by how the corner of his lips twitched up in a slight grin. He quickly erased all signs of humor on his face, knowing that it wasn't appropriate for a time like this. For gods' sake, he should be helping June, not laughing at her. Well, maybe he could laugh at her first, then help? He snorted, wondering why his thoughts sounded ridiculous.

"I'm fine," he said stubbornly, kicking the ground to prove his point. He stopped just after one try as the pain seeped back. Okay, maybe he wasn't totally fine, but Caleb was too proud to admit that. He eyed the gashes on her face, his forehead creasing in worry. She looked worse off than him, he thought. "This is nothing. Just a couple of angry dogs that got a little too carried away. Worry about yourself. How are you supposed to get that snake bite treated if you don't go to the infirmary? For all we know you could die in mere seconds."

Caleb hadn't meant that to come out that blunt. His gaze softened a little, though no one can really see because of his shades. "Point is... go get help," he sighed, shaking his head. "Since you obviously made it clear that you don't want us to go together, just... just move along. Get to the infirmary while you still can." He crossed his arms over his chest, staring at her intensely through the comfort of his dark shades. "Don't you dare die on me, Prenston. Not now."

His attempt at an indifferent tone failed as his voice carried a tinge of something else. Anxiety, probably. The son of Momus watched June warily, as if expecting her to fall at any second. Worst case scenario? June would faint and he would need to carry her there on his bloody injured legs. Haha, very funny, Caleb, he thought. Now stop being so ridiculous.

((lol, that pic suits her, but my brain still ends up imagining Isabelle Fuhrman whenever it thinks of June. I see you've magically aged her up as well xD))
Back to top Go down
Nico
Chatbox Ruler
Chatbox Ruler
Nico

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 3:02 am

The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] Tumblr_lk8cg5tLwe1qcqfmno1_400

June smirked at Caleb deciphering her short story and nodded. Her eyelids felt heavy, almost as if the snakes were putting her to sleep, but the girl refused to fall asleep during her time with Knives. This was the day she actually got to test out her friendship. She had to be awake for that, but June's brain was going slightly fuzzy.

Caleb's suggestion -- near demand -- made June cringe. She didn't mean that she didn't want to go with Caleb. In fact, if she was being forced to go to the infirmary, she would only go if Caleb went as well. "Oh . . . Caleb, I didn't mean it that way. It's not you. I mean . . . I don't want us to go separately. I couldn't go sperately. I just . . . don't want to go." June stumbled over her words and gave up the awkward conversation, holding up her wrist to show off the accessory. "I'm supposed to be under their care until this thing comes off. If I go back there, I won't leave." June pulled helplessly at her label, gasping when it seemed to tighten.

The daughter of Ares slowly looked back at Caleb and held back a smile. "Cool your knives, Caleb. I don't plan on dying." June chuckled to herself and she reached up and wiped a splotch of blood off her cheek. "But don't act like this mess--" June motioned to Caleb's leg and the blood on her own shirt, "is okay, either. You don't know how bad these things can get." June wanted to tend to their cuts and gashes herself, but she was terrible with healing. She was just an expert on getting and causing the wounds. Someone else was always there to pick up after her.

Fully convinced that she would have to simply power through, June sat on the ground and pat the dirt beside her. "Either sit by me or let me take you to the infirmary," June proposed, raising an eyebrow and waiting for Caleb's response. Her head was throbbing with each impending heartbeat. The sleepy haze hadn't let her, but June did know she had to see Caleb. She had to talk to him. She had to be with him. She was already fighting for him, so why not actually keep up a healthy conversation.

"Well?" June snapped, dropping her polite tone and allowing her voice to become sharp. "Gods, this is crazy. Are we crazy? Why can't we just be normal friends?" June shook her head and rubbed her temples, trying to fight everything. Everything except Caleb.

Last edited by Nico on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 11:55 am

Caleb Austin Wright
Son of Momus

Caleb sighed. June did have a valid point. Who knows, maybe the dogs that bit him had rabies. He froze at that thought. Rabies. He might have rabies coursing through his veins at this very moment. The thought was, frankly put, horrifying.

But as he glanced over June's condition, he knew he wasn't in the place to complain right now. The dogs having rabies was only a possibility. What about June? Caleb was already certain that what bit her was poisonous. As much as she tried to hide it, he could see her weakening by the second and actually expected her to black out at any time now. It was a horrible possibility, but that was just reality. Caleb mumbled something about snakes under his breath, digging his hands in his pockets while trying to look at anything besides June.

What am I supposed to do?

"Cut the crap about you taking me to the infirmary," he muttered, quiet enough that he was sure June couldn't hear. "We're not crazy. Just... abnormal," he almost smiled at that, but all his lips did was curl up in a half-smirk. "Nothing about us is normal. Our past, our immortal lineage, the way the gods meddled in to keep us away from each other... those are anything but normal."

Sighing, Caleb rocked on his heels for a few moments, having some kind of inner debate with himself. He was really getting worried about June's condition, no sense denying that now. The possibility of her dying just scared him, to be honest. He didn't want the only person he actually had ties with leave him now, no matter how much he didn't want to admit it. If June died... Caleb wouldn't know what to do with himself anymore. That was why he was going to do anything to keep that from happening.

June gave him a little bit of purpose. It wasn't much, but at least it was something.

Finally, he held out his arm for her, despite how he seemed rather unsteady on his feet himself. "Grab it. We're both going."

Back to top Go down
Nico
Chatbox Ruler
Chatbox Ruler
Nico

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 1:47 pm

The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] Cady3

June sat in silence and stared up at Caleb. His hand was extended, and while she was trusting of Caleb, she wasn't trusting of the Apollo healers. They didn't exactly like June, which could easily effect how much venom curing actually went on. And there was still the fact that June being left to herself wasn't techniqually allowed yet. She was supposed to be under constant observation of her very own Apollo boy, but that boy had given up on her. Everyone had, except for Caleb.

That thought propelled June to reach out and lock her grip with Caleb's. She didn't want to pull him over, but she did need almost every ounce of the boy's strength. June's muscles were weaker than she had thought they were. As she let go of Caleb'shand, June mumbled a thank you, finding it difficult to swallow her pride. She looked over Caleb, her eyes pausing at his bloody clothes. Hesitantly, June stepped closed to Caleb and sighed, putting his arm around her shoulder and squishing herself into Caleb's side. She wasn't used to acting as a crutch, but she had seen it done plenty of times in the arena. "You're not allowed to complain about this if I don't complain about going in the first place."

June remained perfectly still, inhaling deeply and smiling to herself. The human brain could remember scents better than it could remember most things, and now, June could smell Caleb. It sounded weird, but June was comforted by the familiar smell. She fought the sudden urge to rest her head on Caleb's chest and looked back up at her friend, the small smile gone. "Are you ready?" June whispered, knowing that they were about to go back on their decision to pretend not to be friends. The worry on June's face was getting harder and harder to hide. "Maybe they're above messing with bloody kids," June offered, trying to calm both of their nerves. She knew it probably wasn't true, but she wanted it to be.

"If there's a problem, try and ignore it for me. I don't want you to hurt yourself . . . more." June gently touched Caleb's jeans and pulled away quickly. She didn't want to hurt him, but she wanted him to know she was there. She cared. Obviously whoever had seen the dogs attack him didn't care, and June wanted Knives to know she was different. "We're allowed to be friends. Everyone else is. And you're all I got." June squeezed the hand of Caleb's that she had put on her shoulder and smiled up at Caleb. She didn't flash any teeth, but June hoped it made Caleb feel more comfortable. The scrapes on her face were still bleeding, but it was slowing down and drying.
Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 10:00 am

Caleb Austin Wright
Son of Momus

Caleb bit back the retort that rose to his lips as June partly supported his weight. Time to swallow his pride and actually admit to himself that this made him feel a little more comfortable than before. He didn't know whether it was because of June's support or not, but he suddenly felt at ease just with the feeling of June right there. It felt rather... familiar. As if they had done this before sometime or the other, and his brain was just remembering how nice it felt to have a friend to lean on... literally.

Caleb nodded, shifting a little in an effort not to make her bear any more than half of his weight. Gods, she was the one bitten by a snake. Snakes were much more lethal than petty dogs. It was costing him his pride to prevent from pulling away from her and he would've if she didn't impose that no-complaining rule. Like it or not, he still owed her a favor and this was just one small way of repaying it. "It's their job to patch up bloody kids like us," he muttered under his breath. "They should set aside personal differences else it would be rather... unprofessional of them. Though I guess it'd be fitting, seeing as they are far from professionals just by the immature ways they act."

Leave it to Caleb to start talking in big words again. He vaguely wondered if June was bothered by this little habit of his. He also wondered if he would stop doing it if she said she was. "And fine, I'll shut up about their imperfections," he conceded, frowning. He started to move using the arm around June's shoulder to steer her to the right path. Hey, just because he was bitten by two dogs didn't mean that he completely lost the ability to walk. He had still managed to come here in one piece, hadn't he?

"The feeling's mutual..." he said quietly, his voice wavering a bit. June really was the only one he had who was close to his age. The thought saddened him only slightly. Glancing at the girl beside him, Caleb breathed a sigh and tightened his hold on her. He wasn't going to let her go that easily. "I don't think the infirmary is going to happy to see us, of all people. Just imagine, two of their least favorite persons suddenly walking in with fatal injuries. Must be a dream come true."

Caleb paused, thinking. He didn't know when his thoughts turned into spoken words, but they did. "Us being friends... it's still a little hard to get used to. For them, too. Just imagine their faces. They'd think we tried to fight to death." A dry chuckle. "They judge a lot, don't they? For instance, one look at your bracelet and they automatically assume the worst. No wonder they see the worst of it too, seeing that it's partly their negativity that brings out the rough side of you in the first place." He looked over at June, studying her for a few moments before the corner of his lips curled up in a sort of half-smile. "Had they been nice and welcoming, would you have reacted to them the same way you did in the past?"

What was he saying, really? It was more like he was saying things without thinking them over, judging from how his thoughts seemed to be a little more jumbled up than usual. It was just how questions seemed to overwhelm Caleb's mind that he didn't know where to start. June's presence seemed to trigger that side of him, that strange un-Caleb-like side that he hadn't shown to anyone else. "That bracelet of yours... I'm preparing to bet that they aren't doing everything to try taking it off. They don't trust you enough for that, no point denying it. They are driven by fear, more or less, but hatred must've played a small part somewhere."

Caleb was rambling. He didn't exactly know why. This was definitely out-of-character for him to say something that wasn't really meant to demean June in one way or the other. Perhaps it was just another of those strange effects the daughter of Ares had on him. Whatever it was, Caleb knew that he wasn't completely himself around her. Scratch that, maybe he actually was. This was the softer Caleb Wright. This was how he would've been if he wasn't so much of a critic and a blamer like his father. Only June can pull out this shyer Caleb out of his tough shell, and he was intending to keep it that way. For now, at least.

((asdfghj I love that picture))
Back to top Go down
Nico
Chatbox Ruler
Chatbox Ruler
Nico

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 2:35 am

"Yeah, well I'm pretty sure they didn't go to medical school. They sing about how great their dad is and then you're supposed to get better," June groaned. She could go on, but Caleb was being the bigger person, so she could be, too. She felt oddly safe with Caleb's arm around her, even considering the circumstances. June should have felt a strong need to keep her guard up, but instead, she only felt fuzzy. It wasn't the snake venom blurring her insides, either. The demigod was almost positive it was the proximity between her and her friend.

"That'd be a nice and believable lie," June commented as they started walking. They could get away with a story about beating each other up, but the Ares girl didn't want that lie. She wanted not only the other demigods, but Caleb as well, to know that June was proud to be friends with the son of Momus. Her knees almost gave way at the thought of everyone seeing them walk together, but June managed to keep her balance. It shouldn't cause too much trouble. Her siblings would only care if they felt threatened, and knowing their egos, it wasn't a very likely possibility. "Too bad I'm done telling lies around you." June smiled up at Caleb, feeling a pleasent happiness shiver through her.

Smiling at Caleb brought back memories June had forgotten years ago. Mostly it was just memories of the two playing together. June had smiled a lot, then. She only went cold when she realized no matter how smart June grew to be, Caleb would always be one step ahead. That's when all of the horrible fights started, the ones with permanent or long lasting effects. Like Caleb's eyes, for example. "Do you think they'd look at your eyes while we're there?" June asked nonchalantly as she tiptoed around a rock. "Their dad is the god of light, or the sun or whatever, right?" June paused and gripped Caleb. "And you see darkness? Without your glasses? Well . . . What if they could . . . You know . . . Work some Apollo kid magic and help us--you." June scrunched her eyebrows, wondering why us had slipped out. Was helping Caleb considered helping her? Would it put her conscious to rest?

"Caleb, I want you to know something." June looked at the ground, but decided that was weak and made eye contact with her friend. "I'm stalling, I'm sorry, but I thought over exactly what I was going to say to you today all night, and that's completely gone out the window with all the gods thinking they own us. I still want you to know what I was going to say, and I think now's the only time it's really appropriate." June took a deep breath and held on tighter to Caleb, feeling her muscles straining against the pain. "Ask anyone and they could tell you I've done countless acts of violence. I mean, you could attest to that yourself. I beat up kids, fought too many fights in the arena, sent kids to hospitals, I even cut my own mother . . . But the only thing I've ever regretted is . . . is blinding you. It's not easy for me to regret any decision I make, let alone a time I injured someone. (That's almost out of the question.) I used to think it was impossible for me to have a heart, and it still might be. I just know that I would always take those punches back. I can't say the same for anything else. But I can say it for you. If I had known then . . "

June was careful never to actually apologize, because she knew it wouldn't help, and she didn't want to hear Caleb say "it's okay", because it wasn't. And she didn't want to hear him not say anything. She just wanted to finally address the problem head on. If they were going to be friends, June couldn't live with that dark cloud anymore--the heavy weight on her shoulders anymore. The funny thing was, those things didn't go away. They would never go away. Each time she looked at Caleb, she was remind of her biggest mistake. Things could get better between them, but the chance that the CHB healers could fix Caleb's severe eye damage was slim, and June knew it the second the suggestion had left her mouth. There might be no curing either of them. Helplessness was the worst feeling of all. Helplessness and pain. June was now an expert on both.

On a sudden impulse, June reached up and gently pulled Caleb's glasses off. She wasn't sure if it was going to be a habit now, but it made things feel less serious. "You have nice eyes," June whispered with a small but meaningful smile. "And just take the complement, okay?" June added, predicting a snappy retort from Caleb. She didn't want another sour mood to arise between them. They needed each other then more than ever. The girl took one last look into Caleb's eyes and put his shades back on his face.

When he mentioned the bracelet, June cringed. She could only nod, and avoid looking at Caleb. He was right, most likely, but that wasn't a pleasant thought. They weren't willing to try to help her. June was a challenge that they didn't want to take on. She wasn't always a difficult patient, but of course she could snap. That was what they were supposed to fix. Her bracelet suddenly felt heavy on her wrist. It usually felt uncomfortable, but this was different. It was weighing her down. June couldn't tell if she was hallucinating or just going crazy, but the danger accessory was weighing more and more. Ravenously, June tugged at her wrist, whimpering and pulled harder when she found no budge. A sob escaped June's lips, and a slow tear rolled down her face. Relaxing against Caleb, but trying to not put much weight on the boy, June took several deep, quick breaths. She gave the label one more tug, and it tightened, which caused June to bite her tongue. She needed to keep her mouth shut. She had already slipped up enough, and now Caleb had an excuse to find her crazy. The reaction had been sudden and probably overdramatic. Taking Caleb's hand, which had been slung over her shoulder, June shut her eyes tightly and tried to return back to her emotionless state. It wasn't working, not even as she held tightly onto Caleb's hand. She wanted to mouth sorry, but couldn't bring herself to do it. She had already practically apologized, and she didn't want to blow anything else. She couldn't afford to.

((Yeah! IT WAS SO PERFECT. 8,D I changed her play-by again, but it was worth it. xD))
Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 4:15 am

Caleb Austin Wright
Son of Momus

Truthfully, Caleb was relieved to hear how June wasn't about to tell anyone that they had a fight. He didn't know if it said anything about this new and vaguely familiar Caleb, but it did mean one thing. Something changed in the brief span of time they had spent together. Or perhaps the change already took place so many years ago, yet he wasn't able to realize it now. Like how something just lurked in the hidden confines of his mind, waiting for the right chance to come out. He stumbled a bit, nearly tripping on a tree root as he became too preoccupied with his thoughts to actually watch where he was going.

At a loss of things to say, he almost fell over when June suddenly took off his glasses. He blinked, the unclear world making his head blur as well and he stopped moving knowing that it would only do more harm than good if he continued on. Just as he was about to ask for it back (had it been anyone else he would demand), the familiar eyewear was back on his face and he found himself adjusting it a little with his free hand. It was then that he was met with the peculiar sight of June seemingly trying to get the bracelet off. His forehead creasing in worry, he watched her give up and take his hand instead. What was that all about? Were the strings that kept June sane finally splitting and sending her to the verge of insanity? Interestingly, that possibility bothered him more than if she died.

"Thought you said they were a boring color, my eyes," he muttered under his breath before shaking his head. "Just forget it. Under normal circumstances, I would've blamed you for this," He tapped the rim of his glasses, averting his gaze and looking at the uneven road in front of them instead. "But I don't. I'm sure I did back then, back when I still remember it. I couldn't say the same for now. You don't need to get yourself worked up over this little thing."

Caleb smirked a little. "Honestly, I never once thought of getting this cured. Maybe it's because I used to think that it's just something I got since birth but now... strangely enough, I don't want it to get cured." Surprised at what he said himself, he shot an arm out to the nearest tree trunk he could reach, effectively stopping them in their tracks. He had to get this out now while they were still alone. Hopefully June's injury could wait just a little bit more. "It's a reminder, not only to you but to me. Granted, it's connected to a bad experience that both of us want to forget, but I think it's more than that. This... This reminds me that once, I was someone who actually had friends. My own memories are too unreliable, given the haziness of it all, giving me next to nothing to remember you by... well, you get the picture, don't you?" he nearly grumbled at the last part, finding it frustrating how he couldn't explain himself in perfect clarity. True, he had been running his planned words over his mind the night before like June did, but confronted by her own speech seemingly made his go down the drain.

"What I really want to say is... thank you. Thank you for being, y'know, here." He cleared his throat. You don't know how difficult and awkward it was for him to even say it. "I don't know if I got the chance in the past to tell you how grateful I am to have you. As I said, I don't really remember whatever things we shared back then, but whatever they were, I still want to thank you for everything. Maybe not for blinding me, but that's beside the point."

He looked at June, as in really looked at her. Looking into her eyes through the dark lens of his shades. "Now that's done with, time for me to apologize. For everything bad that I did to you. For being partly the reason why you ended up as a sociopath." He sighed. "I'm no longer sticking around because of that favor I owe you for saving my life. I'm here because I'm your friend. I'm going to make up for all of the harm I've caused. I'm going to help you get better... June."

Caleb shifted his weight on the balls of his feet, only barely registering the slight amount of pain from the lowest parts of his body. Quickly making up his mind, he reached for the wretched bracelet on June's wrist with the hand slung around her shoulder. A look of concentration crossed his face as his fingers danced across the accessory's label. Slowly, he picked at it, before gently trying to ease it out of her wrist.

To his surprise, the bracelet slid off without resistance, now coming to a rest on his open palm.

((I didn't know if it's okay for Caleb to take it off that easily, so if you want it changed, feel free to say so xD))
Back to top Go down
Nico
Chatbox Ruler
Chatbox Ruler
Nico

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 2:55 am

June shrugged at Caleb's eye remark. "I did, but not anymore. Now . . . I see your eyes. I don't think I was looking before." June played with her hands and kept her gaze down. She didn't have anything else to say, and the words she had just spoken were a little embarrassing. June didn't like to give out complement on physical appearance because she tried not to notice what people looked liked. She would recognize others by their personality, but with Caleb, like everything else, it was different. She wanted to take in every detail of the boy. She wanted to memorize his features and be able to spot him from a mile away. She wanted something real with Caleb.

As Knives spoke of the emotional connection to his partial blindness, June forced herself to look at the boy. It stung to hear him talk about something she hated. At least he wasn't yelling at her. If it was anyone but Caleb, and June was in his position, she would have probably thrown a punch at the person who caused her to go blind, but then she remembered she was Caleb. Just in a different form. June wasn't blind, but she would never be able to hang around other people; people unlike Caleb, who we judgemental and cruel. Her temper would always win, yet Jume didn't blame Caleb. She couldn't. Much like the boy, she remembered being born with her disorder. It changed everything to know that wasn't the case, but the one thing it didn't change was her feelings towards Caleb. She wasn't about to let a fight they had in school dictate how she felt about the kid. Caleb ended up with the worse end of the bargain. He needed help just to see. "I know what you mean," June finally replied. Her eyes were bright, as if she was happy, but the rest of her expression was sullen. "We shouldn't regret. But I probably always will. Every time I look at you I think 'if I had held back those punches, Knives would be able to see me right now, without having to get assistance.' It's terrible. I feel so terrible." June shut her eyes and scowled at no one inparticular. She was just mad at herself for the mistakes she had managed to make.

June remained frozen as Caleb popped her bracelet off. Her jaw dropped, and she couldn't help but steal a glance at the boy. She wanted to know what he was thinking, but she couldn't read anything. Maybe he was just as shocked as June was to find out that he cared. Maybe he was relieved his attempt had worked. Maybe he didn't have any strong current of emotion taking over his mind. Was it just a bracelet to Caleb? Or was it so much more, like it was to June? Putting the thinking aside, June's heart swelled. She really did have Caleb. No matter what anyone else, even the gods, tried to do, they wouldn't take him from her. She needed him, and June was stubborn. She wasn't about to let go. Not even for the people she once considered her friends at camp. She didn't know the meaning of the word until getting reunited with the son of Momus. Caleb was a friend, probably even more.

Caleb was an everything to June, and she couldn't fight the hug that burst out of her. She had hugged Caleb only once before, and that had been earlier today, but this hug was filled with meaning. She earned this hug. The venom was numb as she attempted to thank Caleb. Her words kept getting caught up in her throat, so June only hugged Caleb tighter to her. Blood from Caleb's leg leaked onto June, but she ignored it. It was just blood. They were going to get his leg fixed soon, anyway. That was the beauty of everything. June was only going to the infirmary for Caleb, and now she didn't have to worry about getting stuck there. They wouldn't take her. In their eyes, she was Caleb's responsibility now, which June didn't agree with, but was grateful for. The healers were so predictable and short-sided. They would let her go, of course they would. Nothing was holding her back anymore. June tightened her grip on Caleb before pulling away.

What happened next was just another impulse, and allowed June no thought. Before settling back under Caleb's arm, she kissed the boy on the cheek and reached for his arm before he could protest. Forcing herself to carry most of their weight, June kept walking, looked away from Caleb. "T--thanks," June stammered, questioning everything that had just went down in her head. It caused her to stop and grab Caleb's wrist. "I know that favor isn't keeping you here. You can't believe how much that means to me. But if you want to pay off that favor, don't kill me." The daughter of Ares looked over Caleb with pleading eyes and stepped closer, trying to avoid another awkward gap in space. Her face expressed only worry. 'You've really outdone yourself, Prenston. You just destroyed everything you and Caleb had. It feels as bad as knowing you could never take back the punches. You can never take back that kiss.' June's thoughts jumbled together in her head, and she locked eyes with Caleb, mouthing only "please."

((I'm too lazy to proofread my post. xD AND NO, LOL. WHATEVER YOU CHOOSE TO DO IS FINE. I never care, don't worry. xD))
Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 8:45 am

Caleb Austin Wright
Son of Momus

Caleb opened his mouth and closed it quickly without saying anything. This happened a few more times before he gave up, only growing aware of the fact that June was already half-carrying him to the infirmary. It seemed that taking off the bracelet did the trick, apparently erasing any hesitation on June's part. He didn't completely understand why she made a huge deal over this inanimate object now sitting on the palm of his hand. It was just a bracelet, wasn't it?

Perhaps it meant something more to her. Like how his glasses meant something more to him than being just an instrument to see. Amazing how two simple objects can mean a lot of things when they can't even breathe.

But enough about that. Caleb's thoughts were more focused on one thing. That kiss. He shouldn't really be making a big deal out of it, but it wasn't something he can help doing. He had never been kissed like that before by anyone other than his mother, not even the fling girlfriends he had in the past (it honestly bugged him how he can remember these girls clearly while he still had blurry recollections about June). Still surprised by June's behavior, Caleb made the point of shrugging off her grip, distancing himself from her by a few feet. He shook his head to clear up his clouded mind, but needless to say, it didn't work. It didn't help that his cheeks felt warmer to him than ever either.

Get a grip on yourself. How pathetic--getting worked up by such a little thing.

He stumbled slightly, his arm reaching out to hold on to the tree for support. No matter how much he mentally scolded himself, he still couldn't shake off that tingly feeling washing over him just a few moments before. "What was that?" he whispered softly, looking at the ground. Caleb cleared his throat, looking up at June with his lips set in a tight line. "What was that, Prenston?"

Caleb needed an answer. If it was one thing he hated, it was a misunderstanding. He wanted to be clear on everything, especially with this daughter of Ares. He valued honesty, proven by how blunt he can become because of it. This kind of relationship with June wasn't something he wanted to dissolve so quickly, and he especially didn't want it to break because of some stupid miscommunication. June meant a lot to him, she really did. He just needed to know how she felt towards him, and how much.

Back to top Go down
Nico
Chatbox Ruler
Chatbox Ruler
Nico

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 1:23 am

June's first impulse was to keep walking without Caleb and ignore his question, but she changed her mind when she decided that was an awfully suspicious response. Stopping abruptly and spinning around on her heels, June took one small step towards Caleb, but there was still much more space in between them than they had grown accustomed to. She felt a sharp pain in her chest when Caleb had to find support, but the tension grew quickly.

Maybe it was just with June. She wasn't she if you could describe her emotion as paranoid, because June was hardly afraid of anything, but that seemed like the best word to describe her emotion. Paranoid and utterly confused. She wasn't quite sure how to answer Caleb's question for herself, but her friend deserved some sort of explanation. It was clear he wanted one. "I--" June began, but stopped herself. Desperately she racked her brain for ideas, but she came up with nothing. Was it the venom or the kiss making June's face flush, now? Was it the venom or the kiss that was causing June to become light-headed? Was it the venom or the kiss that was preventing the daughter of Ares from thinking logically?

Gripping her stomach, June closed her eyes tightly. She wasn't able to come up with any sort of reason for her actions, and it was making her feel sick. Or, again, was that the venom? Or was it not a sick feeling, but the feeling of girlie butterflies filling up her insides. June had only heard of that feeling. She had no experience with giddiness. Looking up at Caleb from the first time since turning around, the girl let go of her stomach and tightly latched onto a tree. There was a look of helplessness in June's eyes as she held onto the overgrown shrub. Even though the tree was strong than Caleb, because it was a tree, it didn't feel as sturdy, and there was an empty feeling that arose from hugging it instead of her friend--her best friend.

June continued to watch Caleb, deciding it was only making her weaker to think of a response. What could she say? 'It was a kiss.' 'Friends can kiss, too, Knives.' 'I owed you something.' None of the answers were actuate. Opening her mouth to speak, June forced herself to continue on her train of thought outloud. It was the best explanation she could offer Caleb. "I don't . . . know. I think it was nothing." June's heart sank as she lied to the son of Momus, but she tried her best not to let it show on her face. "No, I know it was nothing. You just . . . deserved a thank you." June's voice cracked as she kept up the lie, trying to sound stronger but only coming off as weak. She wasn't sure what in Hades that kiss was, but it certainly wasn't nothing. It had been action on a whim, sure, and June lied for good reasons, but it didn't feel right.

Loosening her grip on the tree, June forced a smile, but it was the worst attempt yet. If anything, she looked in pain--and she was. Two different kinds of pain. She had never realize how hard it was to lie to someone you cared about. Her emotions were running haywire and the demigod could barely hold back the impulse to open up her arms and request a hug. The reassurance of being back in Caleb's protection was all June wanted, even knowing that she was strong enough to take care of herself. ... But that meant that Caleb was able to take care of himself on his own, as well, and if he wanted to, he could leave. June had not only created a mess, but probably wrecked things between them. "I'm s--sorry." June whispered, looking at Caleb's feet instead of his eyes. "I meant everything I said. Including the not killing me part." June was struggling to read any of Caleb's emotions and prayed to Zeus that he wasn't mad. She couldn't stand losing him over a mistake she made. Anyone keeping track could probably add that kiss to the list of "Impulsive Mistakes that Nearly Cost June Everything." "I can't . . . I want to give you some sort of explanation . . . but I just can't . . . don't have one." June looked at Caleb, and locking gazes with him sent a painful shiver down her spine, unlike before. She would prefer him getting violent with her than remaining almost silent and stumbling over his feet. This wasn't a Caleb June had seen before.

Why did Caleb never show anyone all the sides to himself? June was sure that people would like the soft Caleb better than the rude, judgemental Caleb. He wouldn't be relying just on June, and possibly that Zeus girl he had mentioned, to support him. "I think you're crazy for trusting me." June's voice was soft and not critical, but it came out harsher than she had intended. "I mean, you're actually are a likable person. I don't bother with people I genuinely don't care for. And I was here before I learned just how much you mean to me. All of our past . . . That has to say something. There's nothing keeping you around. You've already said so yourself! And I just keeping proving that I'm only going to mess everything up. I just--" June stopped talking. She was only hurting herself. She didn't want Caleb to leave. That would be the worst possible scenario, but she was actually suggesting it. Was she putting Caleb . . . first?

June looked down at Caleb's shoes again and held back a whimper. His blood had seeped down his leg. Again. June was reminded of what she did to him. If he hadn't been coming to see her, he wouldn't have gotten mauled by dogs. He wouldn't be blind. He would have had an easier life over all. "I keep hurting you. I don't mean to do this to you, Cae . . . But it just happens. I'm trouble, and my own dad knows it." June stopped talking to a pair of shoes and looked into Caleb's face, focusing on no point inparticular. "You probably know it. I wasn't supposed to have friends. I don't think. And when I somehow manage to find you, the only person who has ever cared, I go and screw things up! I don't know what's going through your head right now, but I pray to the gods it's a better place to be then in my head." June signed heavily and managed to stop talking about herself. It really did hurt to realize the things she spoke, and she didn't want to go back to being the girl who talks and complains too much. This wasn't even about her. It was about the boy standing a few awkward feet in front of her.
Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 7:08 am

Caleb Austin Wright
Son of Momus

There were times when Caleb wished he was a young boy again. It meant fewer things to think about, fewer problems to contend with. He missed the times when his biggest problem used to be picking out the right crayon for his doodles. The world was so much simpler then. Caleb didn't know what he was thinking when he wished he would be older than he was. It only complicated things. It only proved that the world was a much bigger place that had worse problems than getting your coloring perfectly.

He stole a glance at the daughter of Ares, his face stoic and unreadable. What was she to him, really? An ally. A confidante. A friend. Just a few words he could use to describe the most complex human being he had ever encountered in his whole life. She was that girl with an 'exotic dancer' for a mother. That girl who all but shunned everyone away, causing them to shun her away. She was misunderstood in more ways than one, and Caleb feared that this instance was one of those. It was frustrating to think, especially for him who was trying to understand her. June made it a lot harder for him. June wasn't a problem, truthfully; she was the complete opposite. But figuring her out took a lot more than just choosing the right color for his drawing.

Caleb clicked his tongue. "I think you're crazy for thinking that I'm actually likable." He laughed, but it was more sour than anything. Didn't June know that he hadn't been like this to anyone? She was smart though. He knew she figured it out at some point. "I trusted you once, didn't I? Who said I can't do it again? I know, I know... Because you blinded me and you keep blaming yourself for that. By the way, that's supposed to be my job. To blame."

The son of Momus shook his head fiercely. How can he make June understand him if he can't even understand himself? How can he make her see the bigger picture when he wasn't even done putting it together, piece-by-piece? Unable to stand hearing her talk about how she caused him pain, he suddenly blurted out, "Stop wallowing in your self-pity and stop thinking that you're hurting me. That has to stop. It's getting us nowhere."

He studied June for a few moments. Gods, why were they even talking about these things when she was bitten by a venomous snake? He could see traces of weakness in her, but he wasn't sure if it was because of the bite or something else. Only one thing to do to know for sure. "Let's go. Get your snake bite treated. Get someone to look over my legs," he suddenly declared, starting to limp where June was while keeping his eyes fixed on some spot in the distance to avoid looking at her directly. It only sounded logical to him, after all. With her injuries gone, he would at least know for sure what exactly caused June this little show of weakness.

"We're not done talking about this," Caleb said, shooting her a nearly blank look. "We're going to get things straight sometime, but now is definitely not the right time." He winced as pain shot through his leg when he almost hit one of the tree roots that were sticking up the forest floor. He stopped in his tracks, looking back. "Are you coming or what?"

Back to top Go down
Nico
Chatbox Ruler
Chatbox Ruler
Nico

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 3:03 am

June gulped, not willing to have a little feelings discussion with Caleb. She would talk about anything he wanted to hear when she as hyped up on venom, but when she had control over her thoughts and actions, and she wasn't filled with the rush of just meeting Caleb, there was another standard. She didn't want to shut herself off from the boy, but control for June meant no control. It would be like wondering through the dark again. At least when she had venom running to her head she could be real.

The demigod remained frozen until the sound of wincing snapped her out of the uneasy haze. With no hesitation June rushed to Caleb's side and kept him steady. "I was . . . um . . . just thinking. That's all." June made sure not to apologize to Caleb, because she had been listening to what he had to say, and he was right. She needed to stop endangering herself by apologizing and putting the blame on her shoulders. It was the gods and the way they screwed so easily with June's life that kept bothering her.

Stepping around the problematic tree root, June tugged Caleb along, not waiting for him to rethink anything. It was bad enough he still wanted to talk about her mistake. June wasn't willing to deal with any more talks. "Welp, have fun trying to trust me when I can't trust anyone, myself." June narrowed her eyes and kept looking forward, blaming Ares for her constant need to be able to survive on her own. She wanted to trust Caleb, but it was hard. She had never put her faith in others unconditionally before. "So this is a trait of yours? You blame people?" June scratched her temple and looked up at Caleb, cocking her head to the right. "If it means anything, I haven't noticed."

June turned her head away and went back to being almost silent, suddenly questioning how far the trail actually was. It seemed to go on forever. To what lengths had the Apollo children gone to keep her out of the way? "I feel kind of . . . weak," June mumbled, fighting the tempting urge to shut her eyes and fall asleep. Would it all be over if she shut her eyes? Would it be too late to get the venom out of her system even if she didn't close her eyes? What if the snakes had already done their job in taking out June? Was that the gods' plan all along? Take one of them out so there was no fear of two pair becoming inseparable again? "I wonder if this is what dead people feel like . . . " June mumbled with a yawn, pretty much making her words inaudible.

Resting her head of Caleb, June suddenly jerked herself up and managed to unclouded her mind somewhat. She didn't need to make another mistake. She didn't want another reason to talk about her choices. It felt like she was being scolded, truthfully, and June hated it. Was her willingness to obey Caleb trust? Maybe in a twisted and June/Caleb sort of way? It seemed about as close as she was going to get. She didn't allow herself to get close to others. She would never say the things she said to anyone besides Caleb. That could be trust, if you looked at it in a certain light. That was what the Jaleb friendship was. A different type of friendship that had to be looked at differently to be considered "friendship." "Words have too much meaning," June decided, slowing down her pace as they approached another large tree root. "People who can find the right way to use them are more impressive than I thought before today. Connotation is stupid." June grinned at her childish choice of words, but wiped her face of any emotion and continued to look and the ground in front of them.

"You know that thing you said about your sight and not wanting to get it fixed? Do you still . . . think that way?" June stopped walking, taking yet another break to get things straight. But she didn't. Adjust herself, she just stood, facing forward, trying her best to force Caleb to put his weight on her. As June waited for an answer, she shivered. If he didn't want a connection anymore, June knew she had severed their friendship far beyond repair. There was hardly any hope still in June. She was expecting the answer to be exactly what she didn't want to hear, but wasn't keen on hearing it. What movie was it that said you shouldn't ask questions you didn't want to hear the answer to? June apparently hadn't listened to it, whatever film that line may be from.
Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 8:34 am

Caleb Austin Wright
Son of Momus

Caleb scoffed a little. Of course she hadn't noticed. "If it means anything, I'm surprised myself." Surprised that I don't really blame you for anything, he added in his thoughts, too much of a coward to say it out loud. Ha, did he just become a coward? Berating himself for even thinking that way, Caleb tried to walk while not putting as much weight on June's shoulders. He didn't want her to think that he was weak and pathetic. He wasn't supposed to be, was he?

Caleb chuckled, something that almost sounded real. "Dead people feel nothing. They're dead," he stated, trying not to smirk at that. He paused for a few moments, remembering the Underworld. "At least, most of them don't. Not the ones in the Fields of Asphodel, anyway. Aren't they supposed to lose their identity in there?" He didn't miss the yawn coming from the girl beside him and the innocent gesture scared him. How long had it been since she was bitten? Had the poison spread enough within the time they spent talking? His injuries were minuscule compared to this new threat and surprisingly, Caleb barely spared himself a glance. Was he actually putting others first?

He was only half-listening when June asked about his failing eyesight. How can she think about that when she was basically dying? Caleb found it amusing, but only slightly as he was more preoccupied with other things. "Maybe. It'd be easier to fight without these glasses," he said, though a little distracted by June's weakening condition. He felt hurt just by looking at her. Caleb didn't want to lose June. He already lost her once. He wasn't about to let that happen again, not when...

Shaking her shoulders a little, Caleb forced them to move faster even with his limp. "Don't sleep," he said in a much sharper manner than usual. He sounded different. Was it the desperation seeping into his voice? "Don't close your eyes. You'll be alright... as long as you don't.." Whoa, he was actually trying to reassure someone. An achievement, perhaps? As Caleb listened to his words, he noticed and hated how desperate he seemed to sound. "I'm not in any state to carry you around, you know," he added quickly in an effort to cover up for his short moments of weakness. Or at least, what he thought was weakness.

Back to top Go down
Nico
Chatbox Ruler
Chatbox Ruler
Nico

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 2:42 am

June furrowed her eyebrows as the pair started walking faster. She adjusted quickly, but wanted to slow down for Caleb's leg. He had been the one to rush them, though, so maybe he was alright with the speed. "I . . . I won't," June mumbled, risking a comforting smile up at the worried boy. This was a new side of Caleb. Was it protective? Selfless? Whatever it was, June decided it was another one of the traits her friend didn't let show very often. (for whatever reason . . .)

"I don't know if I would let you carry me," June whispered with a laugh. If she had to be carried to safety, then June really would have no dignity left. "So I don't think that's something you have to worry about." June nudged Caleb with her shoulder, laughing once more before hiding her smile under a veil of numbness. She kept feeling wavering seconds of emotion, then her mind practically went to sleep. Caleb had requested she didn't even close her eyes, so June fought the impending urge to follow his orders.

"You'll be all right...as long as you don't..." June exhaled deeply, nodding as she went over Caleb's words in her head. "And you'll be fine . . . as long as you slow down . . ." June tried to fight Caleb's pull, but it was hard. He was strong, and she was getting weaker. "I'm serious. It might not hurt, but you could be making things worse." June shrugged under Caleb's grip, giving up on trying to fight him. If he was going to listen to her, he would slow down. If he was going to keep up his hero act, he would most likely ignore her request.

Her shoulders felt lighter, June finally noticed, and she rolled her eyes, facing forward. "If it hurts, put weight on me. That's what I'm here for." June snorted, looking at Caleb again. While distracted, June stumbled over a shorter root, tumbling forwards and sticking out her arms to regain her balance. She hadn't fallen, which was probably good considering she most likely wouldn't have been able to get up, and she had just said Caleb wasn't allowed to carry her. Gasping and looking up at Caleb to make sure he was alright, June shook her head. She wasn't clumsy. She didn't mean to trip.

"Are you okay?" June groaned, fearing she had hurt Caleb in her slip up. "I think I'm lucky you're looking out for me. I didn't think it was . . . this bad." June yawned again and put one hand to her face, trying to hide the obvious weakness on her the demigod was showing. She wasn't going to trip and then show Caleb how drained her face appeared. She was paler than before, and looked almost sickly ill. The only improvement was that her scrapes had stopped bleeding. "I'll try to stay awake, okay?" June removed her face from her hand and looked at Caleb, her mouth a tight, straight line. She wasn't exactly a welcoming sight. In a few minutes June had gone from bad to worse, and she still wasn't thrilled about getting infirmary help. Were real doctors more reliable? Couldn't she just take some ambrosia? It probably wasn't enough for godly snake venom, but the idea sounded more welcoming to June.
Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 7:27 pm

Caleb Austin Wright
Son of Momus

Gritting his teeth, Caleb narrowly avoided the root that almost made June fall over. He wobbled slightly on his feet but managed to remain standing. He looked over at the daughter of Ares, noting just how white she had become. "Do or do not. There is no try," he quoted in a barely audible mutter. "I'm fine. My sense of balance is far better than yours at the moment. You look like a pale corpse who's about to collapse."

The whole situation was starting to draw out the rough side of his tongue. Caleb was getting annoyed at so many things. The way June's features betrayed her and showed that she was weaker than she let on. How she did have a point in saying that they shouldn't walk faster. The irritatingly slow pace she set, because at this rate they'd never reach the infirmary in time. The gods who seemed to have nothing better to do but cause and watch their suffering. Those damn tree roots that seemed to make it their lives' mission to trip them.

Unable to handle slowing down, Caleb pushed himself to move faster despite the protests of his bleeding legs. "How far is it?" he growled but not realy expecting an answer. Craning his neck, his teeth clenched at the reality of being unable to see through the thick trees obscuring his vision. A sudden stab of pain from the sole of his foot almost made him fall but he still stubbornly refused to put most of his weight on June. She looked so delicate that it seemed to him like any dependent movement on his part would cause her to break. Perhaps he got the feeling from how her face was drained of any color or how her voice became softer at each passing moment. Damn that snake venom. It just became another addition to the endless list of 'The Things that Infuriate Caleb Wright.'

"We'd better hurry up before there's no one for me to look out for," he suddenly blurted out. His hands shook slightly as he spoke but he quickly regained his cool before it became too obvious. The possibility of June dying became very real to him now. Caleb felt like he was losing a game of chess. Even if he tried to put on his best moves, the impending threat of a checkmate still loomed over them. A small slip-up might turn into the biggest mistake that would ultimately hand him over to the jaws of defeat. Any wrong move and June might be taken away for good.

Back to top Go down
Nico
Chatbox Ruler
Chatbox Ruler
Nico

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 1:09 am

The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] Gif1

June tried to look around and see where they were, but decided against it. She preferred to think they were still on the path and not out in the open. Things seemed to be moving at a different speed. Everything else around the two was moving at a faster pace, but June's own legs felt like jello. How could everyone else be carrying on with business as usual and June and Caleb were trying to keep each other out of danger. Was that even fair? No. Nothing about June and Caleb's friendship was fair. The gods wanted to keep them away from each other. It was fate, but June wasn't the biggest fan of fate. She preferred to make her own decisions.

"Yeah, well, if I don't try who knows how quickly this'll all be over." June kept up with Caleb, feeling that if he was going to hurt himself, she might as well not make him have to worry about her, too. If he was worrying about her. June didn't understand Caleb, just as Caleb didn't understand June. There were moments when the daughter of Ares really believed her friend was someone who cared, like when he took off the bracelet. But other times . . . Caleb was either really good at lying or unable to really mind. "I probably am. A corpse about to collapse, I mean." June raised both of her eyebrows and exhaled deeply. She wasn't risking any more glances, but her helpless emotion was evident in her tone.

June just shook her head when Caleb asked how much farther they had to go. The answer wasn't very pleasant. By now, they were nearing the edge of her--their path, but the infirmary wasn't exactly close to the courtyard. The gods really wanted to limit their chances. "Just keep moving." June replied, preferring not to deliver the bad news. She didn't want to give Caleb another thing to worry about, especially not then. His leg was supposed to be on the top of his list of priorities. But it didn't take someone close to Caleb to see that he was shoveling that issue to the back of his mind.

When Caleb spoke about looking after June, the girl fought an immediate urge to crumble. She has just been rethinking everything. Of course he had to go and make it right again, even in a gesture as small as mentioning he was looking out for the other demigod. There was more to it, though; almost as if Caleb was willing to blame himself for slip ups in the little game. As the hurried across the dirt, June shook her head, slowly at first, then more sure. "It's not your responsibility to keep me alive. Don't blame yourself if this goes wrong." As the mysterious girl emphasized wrong, her voice broke, leading to another random moment of weakness. That could be a story, June decided. Random Moment of Weakness by June Prenston. "If I slip up with my life, that's all on me." June's voice was quiet, as if she didn't want Caleb to hear what she was saying, but knew she had to at the same time.

June paused, still walking, but thinking about absolutely nothing. It was a cowardly freedom, but it was an escape. Her thoughts eventually came back to bite her, but the clear few seconds felt like a breath of fresh air. This was why it felt good to be a sociopath, sometimes. You didn't have to think. June knew the feeling better than anyone, but she also knew the consequences, and they were much worse than just dealing with your thoughts. "We shouldn't be talking like this, Caleb. It doesn't matter what the select few gods have planned. I don't plan on letting them take our lives. So they won't. People don't just go around fighting the gods. We will; we are. They aren't just going to get their way. They don't want us working together, and that's exactly what we're doing, right?" June took a deep breath and put on a strong face. She felt worse, far weaker, but she was convincing herself not to let go. "We're close enough for the trail to end just up here. That's when people are going to see us. And I'm not pulling out. That's when we prove that if this is some sort of game, then we're playing, too."

June smiled to herself, before her legs went limp and she had to stumble to catch her balance again, not waiting for a response or retort from Caleb, June picked up her pace. She just wanted to get them to the infirmary.

((I wrote this while watching the Adjustment Bureau, so I was distracted.(; IT WAS GOOD. But I'll admit, I was kind of confused throughout most of the end. xD And the dancing was beautifulllll. I want choreography like that. D8))
Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 11:49 am

Caleb Austin Wright
Son of Momus

Caleb couldn't help but snort in dry laughter. "This is already wrong, Prenston," he said simply. The whole situation was wrong. They shouldn't be fighting for both their lives in this isolated forest path. June wasn't supposed to be dying because of a snake bite. He wasn't supposed to be bitten by dogs. Everything was so utterly wrong and out of place. All thanks to those gods. Can't they find somebody else to laugh at?

He carefully treaded through the forest floor, his eyes trained on the ground to avoid even the smallest of tree roots. "Some gods just made it a habit to screw us over, didn't they? First they wipe our memories clean then they send some animals to do their dirty work for them. I mean, they must really want us killed." He quickened his pace and tightened his grip around June, as if holding on to her was enough to keep her from slipping away. "No matter. Like you said, we're a team... do you know how weird this sounds coming from me?"

Shaking his head, Caleb finally realized how the trees were thinning and giving him a better view of what lay ahead. He carefully pictured out how it would be. A lot of people would probably be wearing shocked faces once they caught sight of the unlikely duo. And he was prepared to bet that not one of them was going to attempt to help them. They were the least liked people in camp. Caleb wouldn't even be surprised if their mere presence was enough to make the others flee.

"We're not out of the game just yet," he said quietly, as if trying to convince himself. The pain from his leg was barely noticeable now and Caleb didn't know if it was a good thing or a bad thing. "We never were. I'm not going to stop fighting until they kill me. I can say the same for you."

The sunlight flooding in would've blinded Caleb if it weren't for his shades. It took him a second to realize that they were already out of the path. That was good. A sign of progress. Now to begin the trek to the infirmary. Who the hell made it so far from the courtyard, huh? And just like that, Caleb found another person to blame. Shrugging the thought off, Caleb urged June to move even faster (if it was even possible), trying to ignore the stares they got from the others. They knew nothing about the two demigods clinging on to each other as if their lives depended on it. They were just spectators, watching the show unfold. It hadn't occurred to Caleb that someone would go up to them in an effort to help, but what do you know, it happened.

The camper was fairly young. Maybe half his age, Caleb thought as he saw him up close. The boy had that look of Aphrodite around him and Caleb held no doubt that this was a son of the love goddess. The boy looked rather new and didn't look like he recognized any of them. The look of concern on his face disarmed the son of Momus so much that he almost stopped, if not for the burning desire to get June to the infirmary asap. Then the boy did something even more unexpected. He rushed to June's side and held her arm to support her as they carried on.

Caleb raised his eyebrows but didn't say anything. Well, he needed the extra help anyway. The boy was so clueless. Would he have done this if he knew who they were? But try as he might, Caleb couldn't help but think that it was some sort of cryptic message, how the son of Aphrodite went to help them without hesitation. He easily put that thought in the back of his mind though, realizing a newer problem. How would June react to this total stranger helping them?

((rofl, we felt the same way when we watched it. xD I agree--the dancing was simply awesome :3
And btw, I love June's playby so much, especially in that last pic. Idk why))
Back to top Go down
Nico
Chatbox Ruler
Chatbox Ruler
Nico

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 1:19 pm

June was extremely skeptical of the boy who had suddenly joined Caleb in helping her walk/run/whatever you would call their unsteady pace. She first tried to thrash and escape his grip, but it couldn't be making things any easier for Caleb. It just damaged her pride greately. June mostly wondered what would drive someone to help them. He was pretty young, just a squirt, so maybe it was youthful innocence. He could just be completely oblivious to the stares and mumbles going on around them.

Trying to ignore the boy's presence, but at least attempting to accept his help, June began replying to Caleb. She was still shocked and completely opposed to the fact that not one--but two people were required to help her move, but things were easier now. Just a little awkward. Leaning her head closer to Caleb, June made another attempt to speak with him. "Yeah, it does sound pretty weird. Knives plays for a team, now . . ." June joked, trailing off at the end of her sentence. The boy next to her was distracting her. It was just too weird. "I would like both of you to know that I'm uncomfortable with this situation. Caleb thinks it's weird to talk about a team? I think it's weird to be helped by a team " the girl scoffed, intentionally criticizing the little boy. That was wrong. Caleb was right. Everything was wrong.

"This is me . . . objecting," June noted with a yawn, twisting in the boys' grips, but not determined enough to do anything but spin. The yawn she had let slip out on the middle of her sentence hadn't been very menacing, and her attempt to get away was pitiful. "This was supposed to be me helping you." June risked a glance up at Caleb, feeling safer with the stranger on the other side of her, and not having to worry about the demonic tree roots. She offered a small smile, looking more nervous than before. It helped to have the ability to look up at Caleb, now, though. It filled June with a sense of urgency. He didn't look very sane, almost as if he was too focused on getting to the infirmary.

"Caleb," June whispered sharply, still looking up and him. "You're worrying too much. About me. Just focus on your leg until we get to the . . . infirmary." June was honestly tired of saying that word. Seeking comfort, Jume tried to wedge herself closer to Caleb, but she had forgotten about Squirt. Children didn't typically like June. She wasn't often tolerant of them, and she wasn't acting grateful, but she was. The boy was doing more than assisting June; he was subsequently making things easier for Caleb. The daughter of Ares nodded to herself and looked away from Caleb. Her sibliings had seen them already and didn't look too happy.

"Don't look now, but if I don't end up sleeping in the infirmary, I'm going to end up on the roof. I didn't think it was possibly to look that bewildered." June ripped her gaze from the Ares cabin and shook her head slowly. "We're dead," June mumbled while laughing. The situation was just so ridiculous! Her siblings were going to kill them, if a snake and dog bite didn't first, and there was a clueless little boy by her side. Was this going to become the new normal? June didn't think she could handle dealing with keeping Caleb safe and well everyday, and having to fight for her life on top of it. But the gods weren't going to get their way. Not with June and Caleb.

((Oh my godssss. Yessss. It took me forever to find the right play-by! But thank you, tumblr. AND MY WRITERS BLOCK IS TERRIBLE. It doesn't help that I'm watching spongebob. And the dancingggg. More dancing pleaaaassseeee. (this is what mornings are like for meh.) ))
Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 8:05 am

Caleb Austin Wright
Son of Momus

Caleb risked a glance at the children of Ares throwing glares at their direction. My my, it sure looked like he was in for a brawl right after he left the infirmary. If he left the infirmary. Perhaps the dog bite was more fatal than it looked and killed him then and there. He almost laughed at himself for having such a ridiculous thought. "We're already dead. We've been dead the moment the gods decided to mark us down. Your siblings are nothing compared to that."

He snorted, almost stumbling on his own two feet but he managed to stay up. "You didn't think that way when the arena almost got destroyed. I think you even said something about being a team back then. Desperate situations call for desperate measures." It was simply amazing how desperation could do to people. Two hours ago, Caleb would have laughed at your face if you told him that he'd get mauled by dogs and end up going to the infirmary with a snake-bitten June. Amazing how things can change so easily within a short span of time.

Carefully sneaking looks at the innocent kid helping them, Caleb couldn't help but try and figure out his motives. What would drive someone as young as that to help the two of them anyway? Unable to hold his curiosity in any longer, he shifted June slightly so he could look the boy in the eye and asked, "Hey, kid, what brought you over?" His tone contained a slight edge to it even if he didn't mean to. Great. That was more than enough to scare the squirt away. Caleb wouldn't be surprised if he suddenly staggered back and ran away. But he didn't. The boy cocked his head slightly to the side in confusion. And if that wasn't enough, what he said next was enough to disorient the son of Momus.

"You looked like you needed the extra hand," he said quietly, his voice shy with an innocent childish quality to it. It was Caleb's turn to look confused.

"You don't even know us." Caleb didn't know why it seemed like he was trying to get rid of the only help he might get. Maybe it was just his thirst for answers driving him to keep on asking, to strangle an answer out of that little kid.

The boy shrugged, the little motion almost making him fall under June's weight. "My papa said that I should help people whenever I get the chance," he whispered, meeting Caleb's intense gaze. He turned away then, looking straight ahead while supporting the daughter of Ares and leaving Caleb in stunned thoughts. The kid's innocence was just so... enthralling. What if they were monsters in disguise then? Squirt would've gotten ripped to shreds. But still, if it weren't for the boy's naivety, well, he was sure that they wouldn't have been moving as fast.

Back to top Go down
Nico
Chatbox Ruler
Chatbox Ruler
Nico

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 12:30 am

"The arena was the only place I could go," June snapped, thinking back to the countless hours she spent throwing knives at anything that moved in the training center. "But I see your point." June paused and stared forward, trying not to put any of her weight on either of the boys. It was hard now that she was surrounded, though, and she was exhausted from the small travel across camp. "That seems like awhile ago," June whispered, looking at the ground to make sure her she wasn't slowing the small group down. To her surprise, she had been practically dragging her feet across the ground, and when she began walking again, their pace quickened.

June listened to the conversation between Caleb and Squirt, smiling to herself at the friendlessness of the situation. Caleb was able to talk to strangers better than he let on. June wouldn't have been able to ask to boy a question, let alone take in what he said almost . . . positively? "My dad sent out snakes and wild dogs to attack us." June met the little boy's gaze and then titled her head towards Caleb. Funny how different parents could be. "And the only advice my mom ever gave me was how to get a {$}20 while working at your job as a stripper." June's face suddenly became very distant as she thought back to the more serious days of her life. Was dealing with a stripper mom more serious than almost dying? Strike that, all of June's life has been serious.

"You're a lucky kid," June continued, walking at a suddenly steady speed. She was proud of herself for talking to the boy without yelling at him, even if her tone implied she was beng harsh. She hadn't lost herself yet. "And not just because we didn't turn out to by psycho murders like in the movie Last House on the Left. That's a real horror movie for you. You also got a good mortal, from what I've heard you say to Caleb." June smiled fakely at the boy, wanting to burst out into laughter. Caleb wasn't psycho, but June pretty much was, or had been just weeks ago. Now she was warming up to the idea of healing, but she wasn't your normal, run of the mill stranger. Had the boy confronted June alone at a different time he might not still be unharmed.

June let her limbs go limp at the reminder she had just given herself. This safety zone couldn't last forever. Would it blow up into something far worse than her usual violent takeovers because of how long she had gone clean? Would it come at the most unexcepted of times? Would she . . . hurt Caleb? Sucking in a sharp breath, June turned to face her only friend she shook her head feverishly. "Cae . . ." she mumbled so the boy could barely hear, "when we get to the infirmary, I need to talk to you. Alone. I don't think it's a good idea for you to be hanging around me. Dangerous. Too dangerous for you." June gulped down the pain as she turned quickly to face forward, managing to carry on as she had been before, remembering this time to pick up her feet.

Was Caleb the one keeping her sane? Were the second guesses just the gods effecting her decisions--changing her future? The daughter of Ares moaned and threw her head back as she started dragging her feet again. "It sucks to have to try and guess what's best for us," June finally said aloud, not caring who heard, even her siblings who were slowly disappearing from sight. "Which is why I'll need to talk to you." June spoke as if she was sure she wasn't going to die, when in reality there was a possibility the conversation at the infirmary would never get to happen. Either one of them could not show up due to . . . rescheduling.

((ONE DIRECTION IS ON SNL. /spazzes That's why it took me so long. xD Soooooorrrrrryyyyyy.))
Back to top Go down
sapphire
Sardonic Twin
sapphire

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 1:39 am

Caleb Austin Wright
Son of Momus

He smirked at how wide the boy's eyes got. Typical. Most little kids still believed that all parents were nice. In fact, Caleb's were rather okay, barring his immortal lineage. That was the bad side of it. June was worse off. Imagine having a father who sent snakes to kill you. It almost looked like Ares didn't want June around anymore. He'd understand his encounter with the dogs, seeing he was the son of another god, but June? He didn't think the war god would stoop that low to harm his own kid. Well, Ares did have the guts to turn against his own family by stealing the master bolt. Maybe the thing with June wasn't that low.

"You don't know what you're getting yourself into. See those mean kids over there?" Caleb told the boy as he jerked his head to the direction of the Ares kids slowly fading from sight. "They'll come after you for this. Send you back home to daddy in tears and sporting a couple of broken bones. Aah, doesn't it suck to be you?" He smirked even wider at how pale the kid got from the threat. Of course, he knew that it sucks more to be himself at the moment, but he wasn't about to admit that to anyone.

Caleb could feel the weariness creeping in. How much longer did they have to walk? He can barely feel his legs now. The fact that he can still walk was only thanks to some automatic instinct that drilled his feet to keep on moving. He released a deep breath that spoke of a clear message. He was exhausted. Any moment now and he can just pass out. But that wasn't an option, he strictly told himself. Fainting now would only kill both his and June's chances to see the light of the next day.

His mind was muddled enough for him to almost miss what June said. Caleb rolled his eyes stubbornly. "All that talk of being some sort of team and then you say that? Are you afraid that daddy will get even madder when we stick together? Is daddy that scary?" he mocked. It was like he was talking to a preschooler from the sound of his voice. "Didn't think you were such a scaredy-cat, Prenston."

((1D? WHERE?--what? Psh, it's fine xD I have writer's block today, so excuse the shortness of this post))
Back to top Go down
Nico
Chatbox Ruler
Chatbox Ruler
Nico

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 4:08 am

June sighed as Caleb harassed the little boy, feeling somehow more comfortable now that things had gone back to normal. The judgemental Caleb was the Caleb she knew. The one who was able to point out even microscopic flaws in others, but was damaged by his own. "Don't bully the kid," June mumbled, smiling down at her little helper, then sticking out her tongue playfully. Children could be annoying, but they were always more trustworthy than adults. Children didn't have reasons to lie. And their playfulness was admirable. June tried to take on more of Caleb's weight, but couldn't figure out a way to when he was the one supporting her.

Hearing Caleb sigh caused June's mind to snap awake and end it's mental argument on children. That didn't matter anymore. All that mattered was that Caleb was getting just as tired as June, maybe even more so. Looking to the little boy, June dug her heels into the dirt and stopping the traveling group after struggling to channel her strength. After readjusting herself so that she was carrying most of Caleb's weight, June looked to the squirt. "Go get a healer and meet us half way. Actually, get us two. Two good healers," June instructed, giving the little boy an encouraging nudge and watching him run off, a certain determination in his strides. "He's a good kid. Now, I've got your weight, and I swear to Zeus, if you try and take over . . ." June's face was red as she struggled to keep moving, but knew she couldn't stop. She had to get Caleb and herself to the infirmary.

When Caleb started insulting her, the daughter of Ares tightened her grip around Caleb's arm, which she was keeping in place, slung around her shoulder. "I'm not afraid of Daddy," June hissed, gritting her teeth as she took several hesitant steps forward, finding walking on her own legs unsturdy and much like roaming around in the dark. "Any decision I make right now is about us," June continued, pausing to take a raspy and strained breath. Not only was she weak, but if was getting harder and harder to breathe. "There's no way to know what the hell was injected into me. I haven't gone over the edge in a while. What if this snake venom makes me hurt you? You aren't in much of a fighting condition." June stumbled but kept her balance, trying to look into Caleb's eyes. "I'd love for Ares to just kiss my ass . . . But if he does something more to you? I don't know if you can even be around me. It's pretty dangerous."

There was an excited glint in her eye as June thought about what Ares would try next to keep Caleb and June away, but it almost wasn't worth it. If this was his first attempt, what could be a step up? Actually killing Knives or Psycho? "I'm not a scaredy-cat," June murmed, tightening her grip again, only to loosen it. She wasn't going to be the one to hurt Caleb. The gods were already doing a good enough job of that. If they left each other alone, would their be any aftermath? Any painful consequences? The gods would have no reason to meddle, but the other Ares kids would just have more fuel. "I just help other people hate you. You're making this harder to say." June narrowed her eyes at Caleb and stuck out her lower lip, pouting. "If it'll make you stop harrassing me I'll take it back. I already have enough 'Caleb Talks' scheduled to last me weeks. I'd prefer avoiding this one."

Wiping her face clean of emotion, June looked forward and pat the boy's arm reassuringly. Feeling more empowered, mostly at the thought of defying her father and staying with Caleb, June began walking with a sturdier stride, having a real reason to get both of them to safety. "Squirt will be back by the time we run out of steam. This'll turn out okay. Just . . . you watch." June yawned and trudged through the dirt, crossing over a nearly empty section of camp. There was no where to turn, only forward or backward.

{I'm exhausted. Good gods. I have no idea what I just posted and I'm so tired. At one point I typed Caleb Alegb? I fixed it but I expect lots of rambling and typos. /falls asleep}
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]   The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie] I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The minor adjustment [Runie-Balloonie]
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next