Camp Half Blood
Oops! You're not logged in to Camp Half Blood! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you better register before the monsters come get you!
Camp Half Blood
Oops! You're not logged in to Camp Half Blood! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you better register before the monsters come get you!
Camp Half Blood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to CHB!
Camp Half Blood is the sister site of Camp Jupiter.

Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Excelsior

Excelsior

Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) Empty
PostSubject: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 12:15 pm

One of Rachel Starkweather's nicknames for her son Magnus was Rhino. While other little kids got affectionately called Suzie or Davy, Magnus was referred to as Rhino. He had a peculiar mom. Some of his friends had started calling him that as well.
At least the nickname's cool. And it fits, Magnus thought as he grabbed the incoming club arm of one practice dummy, broke it at the elbow, and tossed the dummy into three others that were moving to attack. Not only did the son of Zeus have a relatively large, chunky nose, he was as strong as his namesake. For starters, he was 6'3", 245 pounds and built like a professional linebacker. He could bench press up to 800 pounds, and he had the endurance of Rocky Balboa. Plus, he'd been trained by SEALs and Green Berets during his time at his mother's private military company.

Magnus saw that all the club-armed dummies that he'd activated to attack him were on the ground in various states of disfigurement. He was unarmed--his shoulder holster and axes lay a short distance away. The son of Zeus took a breath and nodded, satisfied at his performance.
Back to top Go down
Rykthrall

Rykthrall

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 7:09 am

Observing the destruction of the automated attack dummies, Serenity clapped. She was genuinely impressed by the huge fighter who had completely demolished the dummies. They weren't amazingly hard to beat, but they hadn't even touched him!

She needed to see for herself exactly how he would fare against an opponent like her. An opponent equally capable of fighting unarmed and with speed and strength. She hadn't fought someone like that in well...ever. Everyone she had fought had always attacked using a weapon, not their fists. Hopefully she could finally have a use for the throws she practised every day.

"Hey, Big Guy, how 'bout we have a little fight of our own? I could use the exercise and you could probably use an actual person to spar with!" I called out to him.
Back to top Go down
Excelsior

Excelsior

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 11:36 am

Magnus turned around, seeing the tall girl that had just challenged him. She was lean muscle--it was easy to see that she had received some serious combat training as well.
"Oh, I like your thinking," the son of Zeus responded, stepping towards her. "May I know the name of my opponent?"
Back to top Go down
Rykthrall

Rykthrall

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 10:43 pm

"The names Serenity, Serenity Miles" Serenity responded a tad cheesily. Pulling on her gloves, she began to go through some of the manoeuvres she had been taught so many years ago.
"So, Big Guy, what's your name?" she asked. "I can't keep calling you 'Big Guy' forever now, can I?"
Finishing off the exercises, she finished off with a high spinning kick, her skirt swirling around and emphasising her left leg. Panting slightly, she reached down to tighten the bronze greave's she wore.
Back to top Go down
Excelsior

Excelsior

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 10:46 pm

"Magnus Starkweather. Good to meet ya." Unlike Serenity, Magnus' warm-up moves were quite simple. A couple of shoulder rolls, a few quick shadowboxing jabs. He liked to save it for the actual fight.
"You look like you know what you're doing. Who trained ya?" asked the son of Zeus.
Back to top Go down
Rykthrall

Rykthrall

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 11:02 pm

"I was trained by mortals in several different martial arts," Serenity told him...Magnus. "Since I've been training and practising from when I was 6 years old, I'm naturally very good at it."
Standing back up, she settled into a fighting stance and let her instincts take over from there.
"You start it up" she told him with a confident grin.

Last edited by RykThrall on Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Excelsior

Excelsior

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 11:05 pm

"Ladies and gentlemen. LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!" Magnus deepened his voice and did his best Michael Buffer impression, which was actually quite accurate. He tensed, putting his fists up.
Typically, the son of Zeus liked to throw his weight around, using his power to his full advantage, but this girl looked too skilled to take many chances with.
Let's start simple, Magnus thought, and began delivering quick left jabs. It was pretty standard in boxing, and could keep an opponent on their toes without giving them a large window to counterattack should one jab miss or be blocked.
Back to top Go down
Rykthrall

Rykthrall

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 11:42 pm

Dodging every hit, Serenity decided to hold her full strength for later. For now though, she knew that a hit from Magnus could be devastating even the quick hits he was delivering right now. After dodging a dozen or so of these jabs, she decided to make him reveal some more moves. Blocking one of the hits with the greave on her left leg, she hit him with a quick right cross to the face and spun away.
That should get him moving a bit more.
Back to top Go down
Excelsior

Excelsior

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 11:47 pm

Magnus was a highly skilled unarmed combatant, but his one weakness was a relative lack of defense. Whenever he took a hit, that spurred him on to become more aggressive even when it was best to remain analytical. Serenity's tactic worked as intended. The big son of Zeus advanced, throwing a right cross of his own at Serenity's face and following immediately by jabbing his elbow right back at her.
Back to top Go down
Rykthrall

Rykthrall

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 12:14 am

Quickly ducking both hits, Serenity attempted to sweep Magnus' legs out from under him and encountered a hefty amount of muscle. She had been depending on the follow through to keep her on her feet and she fell backwards. She was shocked. She had underestimated the sheer amount of muscle this guy had and she was about to suffer the consequences of it.
She quickly rolled sideways and attempted to get back to her feet, hoping that she was fast enough.
Back to top Go down
Excelsior

Excelsior

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 11:49 am

Seeing his opportunity, Magnus drove his fist downwards, hoping to land his first solid strike of the match. He highly disliked missing. Serenity was fast enough to avoid the brunt of his blow, but he still caught her on the shoulder with his punch.
"Didn't expect that, did you?" Magnus said, grinning. He had a bit of an ego, and loved it when others found out what he was capable of the hard way.
Back to top Go down
Rykthrall

Rykthrall

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 8:15 pm

Preferring not to reply, Serenity quickly jumped to her feet and came at Magnus with a series of high and low kicks, alternating in a random pattern and using different kicks. Spinning kicks, roundhouse kicks, side kicks, there was no way he would be able to block them all.
But since her shoulder had been hit by Magnus, kicks were all she was able to do until the pain went away. Couldn't afford to make a mistake because of pain.

Back to top Go down
Excelsior

Excelsior

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 8:27 pm

Perhaps someone with the speed of Chris Talbot or Samuel Anders might have been able to block or dodge all of the kicks that Serenity was dishing out, but Magnus didn't come close to being so fast. Despite his training, his huge build made him slow. However, that build was also the source of his exceptional durability.
Magnus focused on blocking the most powerful kicks with his forearms and shins, making sure he had good position to take the others in areas that wouldn't be too dangerous. He took a number of blows in the ribs, shoulders and legs, and they stung, but he was strong enough to keep going.

Before long, the son of Zeus realized Serenity wasn't using her arms much. That had to mean his last punch had hurt more than he initially believed it did.
I don't know my own strength, Magnus thought as he waited for his opponent to make a mistake. Her flurry of kicks had to be tiring when sustained, meaning she was close to slipping up in some way.
And she was. Coming off a butterfly kick that Magnus parried with his upper arm, Serenity stumbled a bit on her landing. Magnus then whirled and dished out a big roundhouse kick aimed at the girl's torso. It was simple, but powerful.
Back to top Go down
Rykthrall

Rykthrall

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 8:47 pm

Serenity saw the roundhouse coming and knew she should have gone all out from the beginning. Magnus wasn't a strong defensive fighter, so she should have been able to demolish him easily if she had only utilised the extreme speed and strength she had been blessed with. It was a mistake she wouldn't make again in the fight. Quickly slamming her right arm into Magnus' leg, she deflected it onto the shoulder that was already injured further injuring it and possibly breaking it. She definitely wasn't going to be using that arm any more. But the hard hits had taught her her lesson. She was probably going to lose, but hopefully she could still give him a sound beating.

She spun away and landed on her feet, her skirt falling to the ground, revealing the long black tights beneath her left leg as well as the bronze greave wrapped around it.
Back to top Go down
Excelsior

Excelsior

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 10:28 pm

That arm of hers is vulnerable. If you can hit it again, you can take her out of the fight, Magnus thought, himself kicking it up a notch. The big son of Zeus stepped in with a furious flurry of punches, a combination of quicker lefts and more powerful rights. Then he took one step back, when advice from Malcolm Reed surfaced in his head.

"Always get a feel for your enemy's fighting style. Weigh their attributes against your own, and use your strengths against their weaknesses." That was Malcolm's M.O, and although Magnus wasn't too much of a thinker in combat, he had to admit it was a good way to fight.
Unless she is a total beast, I have more stamina than her. I should use that, the way Brandon does, Magnus decided. Putting his fists up, he decided to taunt Serenity a little, to goad her into attacking.
"You tired yet?" he asked. "I'm not. I can do this all day. So let's hurry it up."
Back to top Go down
Rykthrall

Rykthrall

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 2:01 am

Serenity smiled and simply said "It's time to get this fight really started. You're not going to last longer than the next 5 minutes now." She quickly spun and slammed her left leg into Magnus' right leg while her right fist slammed into his chest. Yet again, she spun away, but not before hitting Magnus in the face with her foot again. He was too slow to catch her now.
Back to top Go down
Excelsior

Excelsior

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 4:13 pm

"That all you got?" Magnus exclaimed, gritting his teeth as he blocked the worst of the blows. Fast opponents always gave him trouble. Durable as he was, he had a hard time catching them with any good move.
Stick to the plan. Make sure she doesn't hit you too bad and wait for her to tire, thought the son of Zeus. For the next couple minutes, he settled into a defensive mode, something that he wasn't really used to. However, he managed to protect his face reasonably well, and took most of Serenity's blows off tough areas with lots of bone or muscle.
"Five minutes? Tick tock, tick tock," Magnus said.
Back to top Go down
Rykthrall

Rykthrall

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 8:51 am

"Oh you haven't seen anything yet." Serenity replied. But despite the bravado she had, she was running out of breath, and she knew Magnus could see that. Her problem was, Magnus was blocking every hit in places where it wouldn't matter to him, while she was wasting strength on trying to beat him.
It was time to switch up her tactics a little. She quickly executed a jumping hook kick, aiming at his face and deliberately landed slightly awkwardly so she stumbled a tiny bit. It was more than likely that he would go for the 'opening' in her attack, but she had a little surprise waiting if he did...

Back to top Go down
Excelsior

Excelsior

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 11:46 am

When Serenity stumbled on her landing, two trains of thought collided in Magnus' head. The first one arrived a split second earlier--it was his natural instinct to lash out and take advantage of the apparent opening in his opponent's defense. The second one, honed by training with Malcolm, warned him to stay back. What if she had done that on purpose?
The result was this. Magnus did bite, throwing a straight right at Serenity's face. That attack wasn't nearly as risky for him as the tackle he originally planned to get her on the ground and then use his wrestling training to finish the fight. However, the son of Zeus still took the bait...
Back to top Go down
Rykthrall

Rykthrall

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 8:18 am

Swiftly grabbing Magnus' wrist, Serenity spun, executing a standard Hapkido whip throw, forcing him onto the ground. But she had forgotten about her injured shoulder with the adrenaline rush that had come and hit Magnus in the face with a powerful left hook, snapping his head to the side. As a result, her shoulder exploded with pain and she fell besides Magnus.

It was almost certainly over for Serenity, and her chest was starting to constrict as well. She had almost gone over the time limit she had, so it was just as well that her fight with Magnus was almost over.
Back to top Go down
Excelsior

Excelsior

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 11:17 am

Oh, ground fighting, is it? You're going down, Magnus thought, rolling to his feet. He raised his fist, but then realized Serenity wasn't getting up. Her chest was tight, and she was clutching her left shoulder.
Magnus breathed slowly, his fist changing into an extended hand. "Hey, you alright?"
Back to top Go down
Rykthrall

Rykthrall

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 12:25 pm

Ignoring Magnus' extended hand, Serenity reached into a pouch she wore on her thigh and pulled out an asthma puffer, taking a few puffs. After a few minutes the pain in her chest went away slightly, but she was concious of Magnus looking at her for those minutes and wondered what he thought of her. Did he think she was weak, or something else?
Either way, she needed to get some ambrosia into her system, otherwise it would take too long for anything to happen. Getting up, she walked over to a bench and collapsed into it, telling Magnus:
"Don't worry about this, most of this is completely normal. I'm diagnosed with some ridiculous magical asthma type disease and it wouldn't affect me normally, but I've some incredibly low endurance."
Back to top Go down
Excelsior

Excelsior

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 3:01 pm

Magnus sat down heavily beside Serenity, wiping sweat off his brow. "Man, that sucks. A lot. If you didn't have that, you'd be a really sick fighter. Not that you haven't done well with what you've got. It's been a while since I've been in a good brawl like that one."
Back to top Go down
Rykthrall

Rykthrall

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 10:39 am

"True enough Magnus, but we all have our handicaps right?" Serenity said in reply. Casually popping open the same pouch containing the puffer, she felt inside and broke off a piece of ambrosia, popping it into her mouth. "Something else about my disease is that nothing but nectar and ambrosia, as well as time, can alleviate it. I got lucky in my fight with you, I was barely off my limit when I stopped. If I surpass the limit, I'm in for a long recovery. As it is, I still have to rest for half an hour before I can really do anything."
Back to top Go down
Excelsior

Excelsior

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 12:23 pm

Magnus winced. "Yikes, that really does suck. Still, you're right. We all have our weaknesses. Ain't that the freakin' truth."
The son of Zeus retrieved his water bottle and downed it's contents in a matter of moments. "So, who's your god parent? I'm a Zeus guy."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)   Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Let's Get Ready...To Rumble! (RykThrall)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next