Virtue BolandName Meaning:
Moral goodness, excellence, righteousness.Nicknames:
EighteenDate of Birth:
7th of FebruaryGender:
Melinoe, bringer of nightmares and madness, goddess of ghosts.Claimed:
Yes.Years at Camp:
Five yearsMortal Family:
• Unknown; biological father; likely to be alive.
• Charlotte Boland; adoptive mother; alive
• Dawson Boland; adoptive father; alive
• Charity Boland; adoptive sister; deceased
• Chastity Boland; adoptive sister; aliveBirthplace:
Carlow, County Carlow, Ireland.Hometown:
Esholt, Yorkshire, England.Brief History:
• Born the 7th of February, eighteen years ago, an unnamed baby girl was left in the hospital she was born in, no mother or father to be found. Of course, the nurses and doctors of the Carlow hospital were worried sick, and had no choice but to put the baby girl into adoption when it became clear her birth parents had abandoned her.
• Adopted into the Boland family, that baby girl was christened Virtue Boland, following the trend they'd already started with their young twin daughters, Chastity and Charity. Like them, Virtue was a miracle to her parents-- Charlotte Boland was unable to bear her own children, and relied on adoption to fulfill her motherhood dreams.
• Home life was average for Virtue. She had love, attention, everything which she needed, but the fact she knew from the earliest of ages that she didn't belong to her parents meant that as a young girl, she often felt out of place. She couldn't help but think that somewhere there was a mother and a father who she got her looks and personality from, and maybe they thought of her as much as she thought of them-- because she never knew that she was simply abandoned, she often found herself thinking that perhaps she'd been stolen away, even though that thought was ridiculous.
• At age seven and a half, Virtue was diagnosed with dyslexia and ADHD, an unusual combination which her parents knew would be difficult to handle. Around the same time as her diagnosis, they made the decision to move back to Charlotte's home village in Yorkshire, taking their three children from Carlow and bringing them there.
• A year later, Virtue played in her first and only football game. On the field, she was knocked down by a rather rough schoolmate, and fell. Her arm bone broke on impact with the ground, along with some ribs. After this, she was diagnosed with osteogenesis imperfecta
, and from then on, she wasn't allowed to play sports, or do what normal children did.
• At age 11, Virtue's older sister, Charity Boland, died under tragic circumstances. She and the other girl were incredibly close in life, perhaps slightly more than her and Chastity and she were, and Virtue mourned her sister for days. The night of her funeral, Virtue became hysteric, telling her mother and father that she could see Charity standing in the sitting room alongside them. It was her first ghostly experience, and set her up for the rest of her life. In fact, it was this experience which made Virtue dislike ghosts so much.
• Her mother and father were approached by a satyr in the grocery store when she was thirteen years old. Charlotte threw an apple at him, running from the store with her husband. It took them a long time to listen, and even longer to agree to send their daughter to Camp in America-- she needed specialist treatment, after all. But eventually, it was agreed upon, and Virtue found herself being carted off to somewhere she'd been told next to nothing about.Physical Appearance:
Virtue's eyes are a very light brown, almost hazel color, which almost always have a glint of mischief. She tends not to wear makeup in general, but should she decide to, she tends to wear false eyelashes and define her eyebrows, making the most of what she has.
She has average length, brunette hair, which usually falls in curls around her face. Her hair is usually layered, making it so that it looks thicker than it actually is in reality.
Against her pale complexion, Virtue's lips usually stand out, because she tends to wear lip tint which makes them much darker than they actually are. Always unhappy with them, she finds that they aren't quite the plump perfection that she sees models with, and along with that, she's always found her nose to be a bit too small. Virtue doesn't dwell on her physical features, though-- if she did, she'd probably find too much she didn't like.
Virtue is unlikely to grow much taller, and because of that small fact, her current height is a very sore subject for her. Below average, she finds that people tend to disregard her and or think that she can't do things, but she aims to prove them wrong-- usually by kicking them (kinda lightly) in the shins and threatening to jab their eyes out with an arrow.Face Claim:
- ( DOGMATIC
) Once Virtue believes something, she's likely to believe in it until the end-- she expresses her opinions as if they're facts, and gods help those that don't agree with her. Often times, this is where she becomes overbearing, because she usually pushes until she can get someone to agree with her.
+ ( INTELLIGENT
) Always stuck around books, watching football games from inside the classroom, Virtue quickly learned to enjoy reading-- be it fiction or non-fiction, a schoolbook or a leaflet that she found on her way into class. An intelligent young girl anyway, she became more so, knowing more about various subjects than she has any right to. Not to mention her knowledge of medical procedures and treatments, from spending much of her childhood in hospitals around doctors and nurses.
- ( COMPETITIVE
) She never got to compete in sports games or p.e. games, and so, Virtue pent up everything, and now that she's in a Camp which encourages her to be as normal as possible, she likes to spend her time holding gambling games and ping pong tournaments, each one with high stakes. And... well, usually, she leaves with a pocketful of drachmas, which weren't all won fairly. She enjoys winning, and she enjoys the lead up to it, but sometimes Virtue can be a bit of a cheat.
+ ( ADAPTABLE
) Moving to America meant that she needed to learn to adapt, but with all of her life being spent adapting to her illness and just about everything else, Virtue didn't find it so hard. When it comes to different situations, she's quick to get comfortable, and doesn't find it hard to go from one drastic setting to another.
- ( UNRULY
) Unfortunately for her teachers and just about everyone else in her life, Virtue never had any interest in playing by the rules. She spent so much time pent up, that when she was given an inch of freedom... well, she took a mile. Multiple miles. When she wasn't in class watching sports games, she was in class writing lines because of being on detention. It didn't change when she arrived at Camp, and Virtue is known to make people's lives difficult.
+ ( CONFIDENT
) While she may have a lot of insecurities which come directly from her illness, Virtue is naturally quite a confident girl, and is capable of putting those to the back of her mind when it comes down to it.
- ( APATHETIC
) Unless they're a cute animal, Virtue tends to show very little interest in other people, and often times because of that she comes off as being quite detached. She doesn't like to get attached to people in her life, and so she pushes them all away in the only way she knows how-- by pretending she's not concerned with them in any way, and tending to act uninterested in conversations.Fatal Flaw:
Truthfully, there are three flaws which could cause the downfall of Virtue Boland. Her fear of dying, for example, is something which occupies most of her daily thoughts. Her illness itself is something which could cause her death at anytime. But of all of her flaws, Virtue's hamartia is her extreme arrogance. She often, without meaning to, comes off as being quite overbearing, and is quick to refuse help or even conversation with someone who she deems not worth her time. She doesn't think she needs anyone else-- and is unlikely to partner with anyone in a fight, even though it would be required of her.Pets:
Virtue went through a lot of trouble to bring her cat from England with her, and Romeo happily occupies the hera cabin alongside her. While she may push people away, though, she's a sucker for animals in need, and only months after arriving at Camp, Virtue began to feed a stray tabby cat. In her head, he belongs to her, and so she's named him Harley-- but in reality, the cat probably only puts up with her because of the daily meals.Talents:
Because of her mother being Melinoe, Virtue automatically has the gift of seeing the dead who may be hanging around-- only those who have yet to make the decision to pass onto the underworld, that is. She doesn't really like this... power, really, and tends to do her best to avoid the deceased, but sometimes it's hard for her to. Other than that, she has very few talents-- fighting isn't something she's able to do, same with sports, so she settles for things which require very little of her. Drawing, mainly, and playing instruments.Weapons:
Because of her illness, Virtue has to sit out of most of her training. She has to stick to one on one sessions every other day, with a specialist in Camp who's worked with her from day one and knows the ins and outs of everything she needs. She doesn't use swords or knives, mainly because they require her to be up close and personal with an attacker, but Virtue has spent the past five years training with weapons that can be used from a long distance. Crossbows, a bow and arrow, etc.Year Round or Summer Camper?:
Virtue's color is PLUM
. She suffers not so mildly from osteogenesis imperfecta
, which is a disease which causes weak bones that break very easily. Because of this, Virtue often has shortness of breath, is unlikely to grow much taller, and in general, muscle weakness.
zuri meyer.happiness hit her like a train on a track,
coming towards her stuck still no turning back.
she hid around corners and she hid under beds,
she killed it with kisses and from it she fled.
with every bubble she sank with her drink,
and washed it away down the kitchen sink...
Name: Zuri Meyer
Name Meaning: Beautiful
Date of Birth: 16th of February
Godly Parent: Poseidon, the earth-shaker, God of the sea.
Years at Camp: One year and four months.
• Unknown; biological mother; unknown status
• Lena Meyer; adoptive mother; alive
• Marc Meyer; adoptive father; alive
Birthplace: Nairobi, Kenya
Hometown: Zürich, Switzerland
• Zuri was born nineteen years ago in Nairobi, the capital of Kenya, to a now unknown mother and Poseidon-- who she believed had been killed months earlier in a boating accident. Her mother, after naming her, left in the dead of night, and Zuri has never seen or heard from her since.
• Zuri grew up in the adoption system, spending most of her life between houses. Trouble followed her-- and not the good kind either. Her first adoptive family were killed while she was in school-- something which was caused by monsters, not that she realized this then. Her second family hadn't been made aware of what happened to her first, and after they found out refused to take care of her. Throughout her childhood she suffered loss, never being able to find a stable home. She started to feel guilty about everything, believing that it was her fault that bad things happened around her.
• Lena Meyer and Marc Meyer wed when Zuri was ten years old. Switzerland natives, they had no idea of what the future held for them. A series of unfortunate events, culminating when Lena discovered that she couldn't have children, forced a strain on their new marriage, and after the discovery that Marc had begun an affair, the two made a decision. One final attempt at saving their brand new marriage. They traveled to Nairobi with the intention of adopting a child there, and when they arrived met Zuri, who had only recently returned to the orphanage. Lena fell in love-- Marc was happy to see her happy again. They wasted no time in signing the papers, and brought Zuri home with them.
• Zuri faced many difficulties in Switzerland, the main one being that she had previously only spoken english and swahili. The Meyer's were faced with having to teach her German, something which took quite a while, and because she couldn't speak one of the main languages which would be spoken in public school, Zuri was homeschooled by Lena. It took the good part of two years for the family to actually start to feel like a family, but all the while Zuri feared that it would all fall apart.
• At fifteen, Zuri was sent to public school. A month later, she was expelled for getting into a fist fight in the middle of the canteen. Someone has said something, someone else had joined in, and she insisted that she hadn't been the first one to swing-- none of that mattered, though.
• At sixteen, in her third school, Zuri was diagnosed with ADHD.
• At seventeen, she quit. Zuri had been onto her seventh school in two years, and after a particularly nasty guy had tried to kiss her at a party, and wouldn't take no for an answer, she punched him. Yet another fight started. Phone calls were made, and there were talks that it would be brought to the school to make sure that Zuri couldn't "cause trouble" there too. No one ever believed her side of the story, so she decided that enough was enough and she wasn't going to wait for the school to expel her. She left school against Lena and Marc's wishes, and began taking online courses instead, sinking into a new low without interaction with her friends. When she went to parties, she would drink a little too much-- when she was at home, she would put off her courses until late at night, spending most of her day doing nothing.
• And then she was found by a satyr based in Switzerland. Lena and Marc thought that she was going to a school in America-- hell, that's what Zuri thought. When she arrived at Camp Half-Blood, things were immediately different. Instead of being met with people who didn't really want to befriend her, she was met with a family in the Poseidon cabin (because after stepping over the border, she was immediately claimed), and friends in other cabins who went out of their way to make her feel welcome. No one cared if she punched someone who was being mean to her, because it wasn't a rare occurrence. It became home in a way no where else had... but with home came the possibility of losing it, and Zuri is still fearful that things will end up ruined.
Zuri has jewel green eyes, which is often the first thing that people notice about her. They're bright, full of life, and often surrounded by extra dark lashes and a light sprinkling of gold eyeshadow.
She used to have quite long brown hair, when she first joined Camp, but now it is short and straight, quite layered and thick. It alternates between her natural brown and dyed blonde, something which she wasn't allowed to do at home but indulges in now that she's not there.
Her phsyical features are something which she doesn't pay much mind to-- so what if she feels her nose is a little too hooked, or her lips aren't quite the right size? She's found that she can fix most problems she sees in the mirror with a little makeup, and so that's what she does. Her height is a little bit of a sore subject, because she's quite tiny, but despite her petite frame she's capable of packing a punch.
Face Claim: Kat Graham
- ( GUILTY ) Her main trait. Zuri feels guilty about what has happened in her past-- she feels as if she's to blame for all of the horrible things which befell the people who adopted her. In a way, it was her fault-- monsters only found them because she was a demigod, after all. But it wasn't something she did herself, and it isn't something she should blame herself for... but she does.
+ ( INTELLIGENT ) She needed to be intelligent to survive in such terrible positions all the time-- if she hadn't been as smart as she was, Zuri wouldn't have survived being kicked out of so many schools all the time. She's able to speak four languages, recite pi to 100 digits and has never gotten less than a B in tests given to her.
- ( COMPETITIVE ) Since joining camp, Zuri has become quite competitive. She wants to do her best and be the best, and so she spends a lot of time training. Doing whatever she can to further her skills, and her powers.
+ ( ADAPTABLE ) She was born in Nairobi, and there she spoke Swahili and English. She moved to German-Switzerland and was taught to speak German. She has been moved through so many houses and so many orphanages, and countries, that at this point Zuri is capable of adapting to just about anything.
- ( ANGRY ) While she would never admit it, Zuri has a lot of pent up anger. She's angry at the world, at monsters, at her father, her mother, the fates... just about everything, really. She feels as if the world has done her wrong, but because she's such a quiet person all of this anger gets pent up until it explodes, usually when someone is mean to her. She's been kicked out of several schools in the past because of fighting, all of which was started because her anger got the better of her.
+ ( INDEPENDENT ) Being moved between homes and never having a permanent place to stay has done one good thing-- it's made Zuri independent. She knows how to take care of herself, how to protect herself and look out for number one, even if she's supposed to be learning how to work on a team.
- ( LOST ) Zuri doesn't feel as if she belongs-- anywhere. Ever since she was a little girl, she has been losing people, and she's been sent away. Her adoptive parents have never kept her for long, either because something terrible happened to them or because they simply couldn't deal with her, and she's spent a lot of time being moved between houses and orphanages. Nothing has ever been permanent, and so, she's grown to expect that things won't last. In turn, she feels completely lost in the world, not sure where she belongs.
Fatal Flaw: Zuri's anger is her fatal flaw. She loses her temper quickly, and tends to lash out because of it-- it makes making friends difficult for her, and in turn, making allies.
Pets: Back home in Switzerland, Zuri had a cat named Liho, however she doesn't have any pet with her in camp.
Talents: Zuri is still only discovering her gifts as a daughter of Poseidon, but right now she can control water and speak to the horses and pegasi of camp. She'd like to learn how to create hurricanes, or at least small ones, however the most she can do right now is make the wind a little stronger. By far, her most dangerous talent is the fact that when she loses her temper (which happens a lot), Zuri tends to make the earth shake. She also has the natural talent of being able to pick a fight in an empty room, and usually win.
Preferably her fists. Zuri fights using a standard camp sword, although she has a talent for using a bow and arrow. She doesn't have enough confidence with it, though, and has been told numerous times that a short range weapon is better than something which you need distance to use.
Year Round or Summer Camper?: Year round.
Other?: Zuri's color is ROYAL BLUE. Her song is Dog Days Are Over by Florence and the Machine. She suffers from Abandoned Child Syndrome, which occurs when children are raised with chronic loss. Because of this, she often experiences a feeling of intense guilty for the parents she's lost, fear and uncertainty about happiness, a feeling of alienation from her peers and a lack of social activities, nightmares and other sleeping problems and a problem with alcohol which as only started to become better.