Camp Half Blood
Oops! You're not logged in to Camp Half Blood! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you better register before the monsters come get you!

HomeFAQSearchCalendarGalleryMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome to CHB!
Camp Half Blood is the sister site of Camp Jupiter.

Share | 

more than meets the eyes [moon's]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
moon
Elite Writer

PostSubject: more than meets the eyes [moon's]   Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:21 am

paras

breakeven - 'they say bad things happen for a reason'
here comes goodbye - 'here comes the start of every sleepless night'
things we lost in the fire - 'we were born with nothing'
amsterdam - 'i'm sorry mother, i'm sorry i let you down'

Last edited by moon on Mon May 19, 2014 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
moon
Elite Writer

PostSubject: Re: more than meets the eyes [moon's]   Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:22 am

they say bad things happen for a reason
faye mcjean; athena

the waiting room smelled of old people and cleaners. cleaners that made every inhale of air seem vile and undesirable for a fourteen year old. the dark haired girl almost preferred the crowded infirmary back at camp to this germ free, white-tiled building of dread. staring down at her crossword puzzle converse, the demigod was trying to keep her breathing steady. he dad would be fine, people lived through car crashes all the time. the doctor had mentioned that it was likely that he would survive after surgery, it would just be slow.

little had the man known that faye's father's situation was worse than it had originally seemed. not only did the forty year old have three broken ribs, one of the bones had narrowly missed stabbing his own heart. john mcjean had been rushed into the emergency room without hesitation, or warning. the girl sitting alone in the waiting room had no idea what was going on, or if her father would suffer any disability from this drunk driver's attack.  faye couldn't stand it any longer, she had to intervene.

flicking her grey eyes around the office area, she rose from the fading grey chair. "excuse me, but i was wondering -" faye began, before getting a finger signalling to wait from the woman behind the desk. trying her best not to frown, she felt her adhd kicking in as she tapped her foot loudly on the floor, adding a tiny beat of rhythm to the dull lull of the hospital. the woman behind the desk cast her an irritated look as she finished her phone call with a fake grin, making faye want to cringe. "what do you want, sweetie? the appointment desks are over there," the woman replied, a sadistic smile forming on her all-too perfect face. "my dad was just in a car crash, do you have any information on him? john mcjean," the athenian asked, raising an eyebrow at the lady's computer screen, briefly searching for anything about what had happened. she didn't have time for small talk, she need to know if her dad was alright. if he wasn't... faye couldn't afford to think like that.

the woman, whose name plate read 'lisa', scanned through a document, humming softly as she shook her head. "i'm afraid without any id i can't give you that information, dear." she smiled, pointing over to the fading chairs once more, the chairs that were dreadfully uncomfortable. "you'll just have to wait." faye didn't even try not to frown as she opened her mouth to speak, but the woman continued to point, and eventually the girl left to go sit down and formulate a new plan of action. she laid out what she knew, which was that her dad was probably in surgery, but where was that at? faye wanted to be the first face he saw when he woke up... and yes, he would wake up. he had to. grey eyes scanned the waiting room, and noticed a sign that read 'e.r.' maybe she would just have to visit him anyways, despite what the hospital staff wanted. screw what they wanted, faye wanted her father.

rising out of the fading chair, she began to walk around the waiting room, clockwise, so that lisa wouldn't expect much. she wasn't going to be stopped, but she didn't want to be caught either. continuing in her slow circles, the girl waited until the phone rang, and the receptionist picked up and began speaking. faye then silently made her way to the new hallway, which smelled similar to the last room. cleaner's material. despite the cringing in her stomach, the teenager continued forward, passing nurses and surgeons on her way. they didn't seem to notice her, which she was grateful for. once, her skill of blending in actually comes in handy.

the hallway split into three sections, one to the patient's rooms, one to the surgery rooms, and then another to other rooms in which faye didn't really care about. she broke into a slow job towards the surgery rooms, not realizing the tall nurse coming towards her until it was too late. "what are you doing here, miss?" the woman asked, her eyebrows squeezing together above her mask. "i'm looking for my dad," faye replied, as if it was obvious. "john mcjean, he's in surgery, i have to see him before i leave." she bit back the rest of her story, knowing his nurse didn't have any right to know that she couldn't stay here long. even if faye wasn't the daughter of a major god, she still attracted monsters. and right now, monsters were the last thing she needed. "you can't visit him in surgery, but i can tell you his status if you'd like," she offered kindly. faye hope that under her mask the woman was smiling, but she couldn't tell. "yeah, please," the demigod asked softly, exhaling her stress away. this lady would tell her he was fine, nothing was wrong and her father would be fine. because he had to be, right? the fates wouldn't be so cruel as to take a fourteen year old's father away.

the demigod followed the nurse quickly, matching her steps with the woman's. the hospital was a bigger and more confusion maze than she had realized, as they turned and twisted through it's center. the woman stopped at a desk, in which she slipped behind and then began to type on. faye stood on the other side, trusting the nurse, who's name read... 'kings'? must've been her last name, but she didn't really care in that moment. she could thank the lady later, after she heard her father was stable. "alright, you dad was in a crash around ten thirty, he was brought here at ten thirty - nine," she read, scrolling through the print. "he's been diagnosed with a broken leg, that's why he's in surgery. he'll be fine." faye smiled and laughed a little, nodding at the nurse. "thank you, thank you so much!" the woman smiled back, walking out from behind the desk. "anytime, but let's get you back to the waiting room, okay?" the demigod nodded, following the woman back out of the maze.

she didn't think of looking back at the screen to actually check and make sure the woman wasn't just lying to keep her feelings safe. then again, she wasn't expecting to need to look back and see 'critical condition' labeled in her father's information, as well as a statement about his true health.
john mcjean; car crash victim
- broken leg [list of bones affected]
- broken ribs [near the heart/lung area - surgery]
- bruised, deep cuts

then again, maybe faye couldn't stand the sight of that either. maybe ms. kings was smart in hiding the truth from the demigod.

or, maybe she started a memory faye would regret, always. but in that moment she was relieved, and felt like nothing could touch her as she walked back to her house in the night. she could sleep, wake up, and visit her father without any problems. and who said  a demigod's life was cursed? psh. in that moment, faye couldn't believe how the tides could change so quickly in twenty four hours. she couldn't believe how guilty a person could ever feel at the age of fourteen until the next day.

but no wise words gonna stop the bleeding
Back to top Go down
View user profile
moon
Elite Writer

PostSubject: Re: more than meets the eyes [moon's]   Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:23 am

we were born with nothing
quinn taylors; apollo

quinn taylors was a strong girl, an independent girl, a girl who didn't take anything from anyone. anyone, that is, except tiberius winters. he was the sole exception, the chink in her armor, her achillies heel, in her oh-so-not-perfect life, and he needed to be avoided. the demigod had told herself time and time again that he was just a friend, a friend who she stole from public eye to kiss when she needed to let out angry energy, or someone to talk to when no one else wanted to listen. she knew that she needed him, but her selfishness burned away her need, and replaced it with bitterness. he made her weak, and that obviously meant that they couldn't speak to each other any longer. she made sure of it, snapping at him whenever she could, slowly pushing him away until he was finally through with her.

and so, quinn taylors took a few steps backwards, into where the majority of this story begins.

her eyes flicked open, as her head filled with a dull throbbing, consistent and annoying. she laid there for a while, her limbs seeming to sink back into the coils of her mattress, preventing her from moving even the slightest bit. quinn hadn't exactly remembered the details of last night's party, only that she helped plan it, and there was definitely alcohol there. even taking a short moment to test herself, the demigod knew that she was hungover, the ache in her muscles and thirst in her throat were enough to prove that much.

previously, when quinn would plan parties, she would provide the technically illegal beverage, but never drink it. she swore to herself a long time ago that she wouldn't ever do that to herself, because being drunk made you vulnerable and stupid. however, now the seventeen year old had nothing better to do, and was slipping back into her old, temporary friendships. they required less emotional investment, and always seemed to prove to have a more interesting time, with less restrictions. then again, quinn wasn't exactly sure what that was, she didn't remember. hopefully she would soon enough, but the girl couldn't be sure. normally she could place everything, but apparently she drank a little too much cheap wine.  

throwing her slim legs over the side of her bed, the cabin leader made her way to the showers, making the water as clod as possible. once she was done, quinn was awake, which she would need to be if she was going back to kronos' camp that afternoon. her head was still pounding, but not enough to make her makeup unattractive. if there was anything the daughter of apollo could always do, it was her makeup. her golden locks were then thrown into a ponytail, as she ignored the tangles that might have been present. she could pull it off, as she threw on more clothes, making herself look as awake and sober as possible. quinn had always been good at putting on a mask in front of others, it saved her time and well... feelings. she was nearly ready to leave her suddenly bright room, when she felt her stomach clench. quinn flung herself into the bathroom to vomit, before brushing her teeth and chewing gum. hopefully the mint blocked the scent of stomach acid.

the day went by slow, each step seeming to drain her already limited energy pool as she walked, talked, and trained. finally it was lunchtime, and quinn could sneak away to her other camp, where some of her loyalties still remained. since ty's kidnapping, she tended to stay away from the enemy's army, only coming when called. now, however, she spent afternoons there, talking strategy with monsters and occasionally training with them as well. when the world was spinning, it seemed less strange to talk to a snake woman about her problems.

that particular day, the sun shone brightly through the thick forestry, much to the dismay of the daughter of apollo. the lights seemed brighter, as far as sunlight went, and she had to stop to make sure that she wouldn't topple over every few yards. as she continued on her way, the girl's mind backtracked to the time she saw tibs in these very woods, demanding to go with him. if she had, they would probably still be close, she wouldn't be hungover, and she could feel whole again. that was the thing about alcohol, it only filled you for a night, and then left you empty and alone all over again.

after a few more steps, she decided that a longer break would be needed, and slid down the case of a tree to rest. her head reclined against the thick bark of an oak tree as she closed her eyes. the girl hadn't actually cried in a while, and now here she was, laying against a tree sobbing about a boy who loved chess. chess, of all boring hobbies, and sweaters and manners. who gave him the right to hold something so close in her heart that even she ignored it? why was she cursed with a loving boy whom she couldn't ever stand long enough to love back? she didn't know. maybe that was her problem, this concept of love was so far-fetched and impossible that it left her feeling powerless.

and if there was anything fire hated to be, it was powerless.

and we sure as hell have nothing now
Back to top Go down
View user profile
moon
Elite Writer

PostSubject: Re: more than meets the eyes [moon's]   Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:59 pm

i'm sorry mother, i'm sorry i let you down
tobias kelly; hermes

tobias didn't like going home, it reminded him of lost days he could've spent with his mother, but didn't. home reminded him of his step father, who lived with his mother in an expensive house, with exotic foods and strange paintings that were labeled as art. he didn't see any of it as interesting, no matter how his mom tried convincing him to be nice, he wouldn't have any of it. not this holiday, the next, or the last. the plane ride back home was a long one, after all australia was a fair bit away from camp, but it gave him time to think of decent excuses for avoiding his family. 'no i can't talk to jameson, i'm playing basketball with cousin kenny.' 'i would stay and talk, but lucy said she wanted to teach me how to braid.' 'grandma said she needed my help in the kitchen, i think?' yeah, this could take a few excuses.

his mother was waiting for him at the airport, along with his aunt beth, his uncle harry, and his cousins lucy and kenny. the hot sun hit him the second he stepped off the plane, but it was a welcomed heat. no matter how warm manhattan or camp could get, nothing compared to home. "mom," he breathed, before being tackled into a rib-crushing hug by his mother. apparently it had been a long summer for her. his other relatives, who were unaware of his true parentage, joined in the hug, making for a painful embrace. "how was school, tobias?" asked harry, who assumed that he was at some young men's boarding school in the united states, and hadn't joined in the group hug.

after untangling from the mess of limbs in the hug, the boy shrugged. "alright, the classes are getting hard," he lied fluidly. lying was getting all too easy now a days, where he wrote to his family about how great school was, and how he missed them so much. maybe he missed them, but he sure didn't miss his step dad. "have your basketball skills dulled any? i bet i could beat you now, i'm taller, see?" kenny burst, an impish smile on his lips. kenny and tobias had been friends ever since they were little, tied together with their love of sports. at the mention of basketball, the demigod smirked and raised an eyebrow at the growing boy. kenny might've grown, but tobias was still taller by three inches. "i doubt it, but i'll kick your -" he stopped, remembering not to speak offensively in front of lucy. she was only like, nine after all, and a lot more innocent than her older relatives. at camp he didn't need a filter, here, he needed to make sure he spoke carefully. "i'm so glad your home, let's get going, grandma has supper ready for you!" his mother said with a broad smile, giving her son's arm a squeeze. even with his arm going slightly numb, tobias didn't have the heart to tell his mom to let go.

well these days i'm fine - no these days i tend to lie

lol not done
Back to top Go down
View user profile
moon
Elite Writer

PostSubject: Re: more than meets the eyes [moon's]   Mon May 19, 2014 7:09 pm

here comes goodbye, here comes the last time
faye mcjean; athena

faye's mind was numb, her feelings significantly dulled in her current state. the teenager had a healthy immune system, but it seemed to be failing her as she reclined in her bed, wrapped in blankets and sheets, with two bottles of fluids on her nightstand. in her self diagnosis, the girl was sick, probably with bronchitis. she hadn't had the sickness in a while, but, just like when she was a kid, it reduced her to a coughing mess. the demigod knew that she'd have it for a week or so, which left her totally out of order, which was obvious with the used tissues scattered near or in the trash bin, and well as the books stationed at the end of her bed. the books had markers in them, often more than one, signalling either her place or one of her favorite parts. however, one of the markers, wasn't paper, it was a picture, bent and worn, but a picture none the less. it wasn't a picture of anyone living, at least, not anymore. it was a picture of vinnie and herself, smiling at a cabin leader meeting.

she hadn't meant to grab the picture when she had, faye had just needed a bookmark. little did she know that by shuffling in her drawers, she would unleash a flood of memories. during the zombie apocalypse, she hadn't thought much, her mind was on autopilot. all of the death and destruction had been carved into her mind, but she hadn't ever properly buried those memories. faye had ignored them for the longest possible time, until now. the memories of carving off james' arm seemed to stick more than the fact that she killed her freaking boyfriend. the idea that she had overlooked the horrendous task made her second guess her character. how had she could she have killed him so easily? without a second thought until now? the thought made her sicker than she already was. feeling sweat dot along her forehead, the demigod decided it was time for a little walk.

as she slowly put a sweatshirt over her tank top, and slipped on her moccasins, images of him flashed into her mind. the first time he stopped by her door, asking if they wanted to team up for the chariot races. it seemed like centuries ago; like their love was an ancient legend, that like all stories, ended in tragedies. going christmas tree shopping and almost dying, only to be rescued by her hero. he rescued her; and she couldn't save him. faye blinked, rubbing her eyes that were either filled with sleep or budding tears; she couldn't tell. shakily making her way to her feet, the girl headed out, keeping her arms crossed and her head low as she walked to the graveyard.

clutched in her pale hand, faye carried her bookmark, the one that had her happy memories printed on them. the morning held a misty shade, glorifying the sunlight that seemed to radiate through the dew on the grass. her shoes were soon sodden with the moisture, but she didn't care. faye was cold enough anyways. few stirred on that particular sunday, probably sleeping in, or seeing it unfit to be out at six in the morning. her grey orbs caught a glimpse of the graves before she arrived, their stone markers casting shadows that contrasted the bright sunlight. it took her a few solid minutes before she came to the son of hermes' grave, it's writing staring her straight on, and staring into her damaged heart. she looked down at her feet,  imagining vinnie's charming face staring up at her, even from six feet down. he'd be grinning at her, with that stupid grin that made her stomach twist, saying something like "what took you so long?"

she sunk to her knees, the fabric of her sheep patterned pajamas becoming damp in the morning dew. faye's head rested against the cool stone, her tears soon streaming down the even material. "i'm so sorry vinnie," she whispered, releasing her iron grip on the picture. faye's smile in the photograph was pure, as was the look in vinnie's eyes. his strong arms were wrapped around her midsection as he was leaning his head against her's, his body in the back of her's. the demigod could almost sense his body heat radiating off of him, in the cold mist of the morning hours. she could smell his cologne, and feel the texture of his worn sweatshirt. "i miss you so much, i never said it before, but damn - " she broke off, rubbing her nose with the sleeve of her sweatshirt. "we were supposed to be it. i could've loved you forever." she could've too, if he wasn't buried under six feet of ground, and dead. she could've loved his crooked smile, his persistence, his flaws, his everything. she could've, if she hadn't been forced to move on.

do not be deceived by her confessions, faye still loved james. she just hadn't realized how much she missed the older co - cabin leader of eleven until now. she needed to properly let him go, and as she sobbed against his headstone, she had achieved just that. "i'm sorry i let you go." faye wouldn't let james go. she'd make sure he'd be stuck with her until her last breath. she'd swear on the river styx never to lose her love to war again.

here comes the start of every sleepless night
Back to top Go down
View user profile
moon
Elite Writer

PostSubject: Re: more than meets the eyes [moon's]   Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:12 pm

i wish that i could wake up with amnesia, and forget about the stupid little things
quinn taylors; apollo

quinn had been staring at a blank piece of paper for hours. she wouldn't write anything down, nothing seemed acceptable. what was she supposed to ask? how his day was going? if he felt comfortable? that seemed too professional when the demigod knew the conversations they had held and the beds they had shared. then again, tiberius didn't remember any of that. the thought made her angry, causing her knuckles to turn white and her pencil lead to break as it slammed against her desk, leaving a lead line. scowling, she glanced around her desk, looking at the pictures that were strung around her room, all the smiles and memories. maybe one day she would show him, assuming he still spoke to her after this. her eyes fixated on a red bottle of perfume, the same smell she always wore whenever she was around ty. maybe it would help. spritzing the scent onto the paper and grabbed a writing utensil - a pen this time - and began writing.

tiberius winters -
i hope susan doesn't startle you, she's just been missing you so much over the past few weeks. she keeps scratching on my door and staying out all hours of the night. i think she's looking for you. the only reason she really stays by me is because i've got her food, but i know she loves you more. she's not the only one. anyways, i'm going to keep this anonymous until you start replying - if you ever do. anyways, keep susan with you as long as you'd like.  

so, this is meant to be a cleansing type of thing for me, and maybe it'll help you somehow. hopefully it does! anyways, i'm going to start this out rather quickly. i'm an awful person, and i think you knew that the second you met me about a year ago. but you weren't afraid of that, and you had no desire to control me, you were just... accepting, and it was a nice change. i welcomed the change for once, which is really odd because i'm a very controlling person. but i don't think you have ever realized how controlling i actually am.

about a week after i met you, i started working for kronos (yes, the big scary ultra bad guy, kronos). i never meant for it to be such a commitment, but as i spilled secrets and gained status, the affair snowballed into a bloody mess. kronos offered me something i craved desperately - control. he promised me that if i worked for him and spilled secrets, he would protect my loved ones in return. the idea that i could contribute safety on both sides of the spectrum - good and evil -  gave me a false sense of security. i thought i was in total control. i wanted to believe it too. but that all changed when they took you.

i guess the whole ordeal was my fault, but i've always blamed you and your curiosity. you followed me to the enemy's camp and we were ambushed. i still have the scars on my shoulders and you used to have the memories to match. they were going to execute you, but i stopped them... barely. you scared me to death that day. i think you meant to though, because you wanted me to profess my undying love to you. well, if that's what you want now, i'd give it to you ten times over. i love you ty tiberius. i love you and i miss you.

anyways that was supposed to be the final straw. i was supposed to give them up, but i guess it was like an addiction - i needed that protection. i needed control. that's why you've lost your memories and why i'm losing my mind. it's all my fault. i break everything i touch, and i'm so sorry. i broke you. i broke myself. please forgive me. i've sworn kronos off, he's never going to use me again. i'd rather die knowing i freed myself of him. then again, that would be a lie, because it wasn't me that exposed this... it was you. so thank you, you stupid strong man, you've shattered the sun.

p.s. sorry if susan scratches your room at all.

like the way it felt to fall asleep next to you, and the memories i never can escape.
'cause i'm not fine at all.

no i'm really not fine at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: more than meets the eyes [moon's]   Today at 6:51 am

Back to top Go down

more than meets the eyes [moon's]
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1