Camp Half Blood
Oops! You're not logged in to Camp Half Blood! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you better register before the monsters come get you!
Camp Half Blood
Oops! You're not logged in to Camp Half Blood! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you better register before the monsters come get you!
Camp Half Blood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to CHB!
Camp Half Blood is the sister site of Camp Jupiter.

The New Kid on the Block

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
a. hams
King of Hell
a. hams

The New Kid on the Block  Empty
PostSubject: The New Kid on the Block    The New Kid on the Block  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 10:41 pm

I look at the gold cabin in front of me. I sigh as I shove my earbuds in, listening to my favorite band, Green Day. I haul my suitcase over my shoulder as I push open the door to the Apollo cabin. I've been here what, a half an hour and no one has noticed me? I think this world's gone mental, not that it already has. I look around shyly, hoping at least someone would see that I'm out of my element here. If it were up to me, I'd still be in Orlando, with my grandmother, rocking out on my drums. I carelessly shove my green shirts and leather jackets in a dresser that is dusty and old, and most likely has rat poison in the corners. Then I put a picture of my grandmother, Genevieve on top, along with my very old pair of drumsticks. I spin around, wishing someone would say: "Oh, Jack, you're so cool! I wish I could be best friends with you! Do you want to have lunch with me? Will you play me something on your bass?" No such luck. I plop down on the bed, the dust tickling my nose. And then I just sit there, waiting and wanting to notice me, but until then, I guess I'll have to settle with scrolling through my music on my I-pod
Back to top Go down
Nevermore

Nevermore

PostSubject: Re: The New Kid on the Block    The New Kid on the Block  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 4:09 pm

Helena had already been at Camp Half Blood a long time; so long that it felt like she would never make it back to France with her mother where she really belonged. Worse than that was the fact that anyone she'd met was fleeting and didn't really notice her for longer than a day.

She was more a of a novelty it seemed. Check out the girl from Europe. She's got this funny accent. She doesn't always understand what people are saying to her.

On top of that, Helena's own 'family' hadn't gotten to know her at all. No one made an effort to meet their 'sister' and she thought the whole idea of having a massive family like this was more of a cruel joke than anything. At least she had her archery and old films to watch. She'd long ago eatten even the last crumbs of her mother's homemade chocolate truffles.

France had been so beautiful and this place felt like it bred lonliness to Helena.
Apollo had a sick sense of humor, she thought.

Trudging into the Cabin, Helena went towards her own bed. The Cabin seemed silent but it was impossible for her not to notice a slight change in the scenery near her own bunk. Blinking a few times she only recognized that this young man was new and swallowing hard went over to him, hoping to right the wrongs that had brought on her own horrible sense of being segregated.

"...My name is Helena...Helena Sylvestre. I'm a child of Apollo. You are too, yes?" She said gently, wondering if he would hear her with his earphones in. "Would you like some company?"

She was stunned, looking at Jack and trying to absorb the fact that the person before her was her brother.

"I-If not...I can leave." She added with quick uncertaintly.
Back to top Go down
a. hams
King of Hell
a. hams

PostSubject: Re: The New Kid on the Block    The New Kid on the Block  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 10:13 pm

I look over and see a girl standing by me, talking. I quickly take out my ear buds and smile what I hope is a warm smile.
"I'm Jack Cyrus Byrne. Son of Apollo, but of course, you know that because, well I'm in this cabin." I explain to the girl named Helena before me. "And yeah, I could use some company." I say, sitting up and moving to the side so that she can sit next to me on the dusty covers.
"You're the first person to notice me, Helena, did you know that?" I say to her. "I hate this place. Back in Orlando I could play my bass and drums as loud as I wanted. Now since I'm here, I can't even tap on plates without our cabin leader yelling at me." I tell Helena. For a girl, she's pretty quiet I think to myself.
"So whats you're story, Helena? I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours. God knows I need a therapy session..." I add as I put my head on my folded hands, laughing at my own personal joke.
Back to top Go down
Nevermore

Nevermore

PostSubject: Re: The New Kid on the Block    The New Kid on the Block  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 10:44 pm

Helena's laugh lilted as Jack made a joke, his humor wasn't lost on her despite the difference in their true languages. She smiled at him and placed a soft hand on her brother's shoulder. "You are very funny Jack, in a good way." She added, it seemed that he knew how to make her quite happy. Sitting down beside him, the young woman felt completely at ease.

But as she reflected on what he said about being the first person to notice him, her shoulders sagged a bit. "I understand, no one cares to notice me in this Cabin either. They like things in their own way. I feel kind of bad, you know. Because they think I sound funny when I talk, but I do try my best. English is confusing for me sometimes." Sighing, Helena chuckled at her own complaining. "I am from France. I came to live here because monsters were becoming a danger to my town, St. Tropez, where I was with my Mama. She is a chocolatier." A little smile crept onto Helena's face at the memory as she thought about the sweet scent of their house above the shop.

Something that Jack had said caught her attention and Helena looked at the headphones he had taken out of his ears. Boldy reaching forward, she listened to one for a moment and nodded in time to the beat. "Bille Joe Armstrong." She noted, looking to Jack.

"You play music like him?" Helena asked. "I only play the lyre but I can sing." A little bit of embarassed blush colored her cheeks and Helena looked away.

"....O-Orlando sounds like a pleasant place..." She finally said, trying to change the topic of her own music.
Back to top Go down
a. hams
King of Hell
a. hams

PostSubject: Re: The New Kid on the Block    The New Kid on the Block  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 8:22 am

I smiled, realizing that Helena actually knew who Billie Joe Armstrong was. "Do I play music like him? 'Course, I do, he's the reason I even play music. I grew up without a father figure so I turned to music."

I tap my hands impatiently on my legs, playing a song. My head nods in time as if I'm actually at a heavy metal concert.

"I think you're accents cool. I've always wanted one, like maybe British or Irish, but French is starting to grow on me too. The other Apollo campers are just like our father: Arrogant. They only care about themselves and are very self-centered. I got that gene. But I try to care about others now that there are monsters on my back every twelve seconds." For dramatic effect I turn my head left and right to make sure there are not any monsters.

I look up and sigh. I think about my home town, Orlando. Mother would be in her smoke filled apartment, looking for a way to pay the bills. Tears come to my eyes as I think of my Grandmother.She would be worried sick just about now.

I swiftly wipe then away, hoping Helena does not see it.

"Orlando's Ok, I guess, if you like crowds and sunburns. I'll take you sometime, maybe over winter break if you like. But thats only if I can get Grandmother to say yes." I smile at that last part. Of course she would say yes, any person who looks like Helena is most likely a good influence on me.
Back to top Go down
Nevermore

Nevermore

PostSubject: Re: The New Kid on the Block    The New Kid on the Block  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 3:48 pm

A look of understanding dawned on Helena as Jack explained about his music. He used Bille Joe Armstrong as a father figure. "We are, how do you say it? In the same boat?" She sounded uncertain at using the American phrase but it was as true as could be. "I always thought my father was dead; so I searched for someone to be my perfect father." She blushed a bit, looking up at the sky briefly, nervously, like Apollo might be listen and would punish her for what she would say.. "You will think me foolish I know; but I watched American films at home and I when I was young I decided that I wanted Johnny Depp to be my Father." Burring her face in her hands, Helena bit her lip and peeked between her fingers, waiting for Jack to laugh at her like her peers used to in school. "I saw him once, in a cafe I was delivering Mama's chocolates to. I was too frightened to say anything so I just stood there and stared for a moment. The second he noticed me I ran out of the store and spent the rest of the night crying that I hadn't been clever of said something smart." Sighing and lowering her hands, Helena looked uncertain.

"And yes, arrogance seems to run in the family. I try my best not to but I've had to depend on some of my pride when people were unkind because I was different. So I suppose it is a blessing in disguise." Helena admitted and then added a small giggle at tne end of her sentence on account of what Jack said about her accent.

"Well, to me you do have an accent. And I think it is very pleasant to listen to." Helena pointed out with a mischivious smile. "And I am glad you like mine. I have not spoken to anyone this much the whole time I have been here." She admitted. "You make me feel comfortable."

Straighening out her orange camp shirt's hem, Helena's eyes brightened at the idea of going to visit Orlando. "You know, the one thing I have wanted to learn her is to ride one of those winged horses...a Pegasus. Maybe if we learn, we could take one to Orlando and then to France! My Mama will make you the best chocolates you have ever eatten, I swear it."

And then she added quickly. "Oh! And we will not have to worry about monsters. I have got your back."
Back to top Go down
a. hams
King of Hell
a. hams

PostSubject: Re: The New Kid on the Block    The New Kid on the Block  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 9:46 pm

I frown, remembering what my grandmother had told me about my father. I clench my fingers into a ball, feeling the fury that I felt years before I came to this stupid camp. But then I smile again, at the thought of someone actually talking to me.

"Your father figure is Johnny Depp?" I grin ear to ear. I laugh, but not at her. "Man, Apollo has some really screwed up kids." I try at a weak attempt of a joke. "No offense, Johnny Depp is wicked cool. I actually sat through the pirate movies and Alice in Wonderland without getting up to get popcorn. I don't usually do that, by the way."

Then I look at the girl sitting next to me seriously. "Helena, you don't seem very arrogant. You seem quiet and unsure of your self. But I don't think you need to be. If people talked to you, they'd find out your super cool. Cooler than Billie Joe Armstrong himself and thats saying something."

I stand up, turn on my heels and face Helena. I offer her my hand and smile warmly. "C'mon, lets learn to fly a Pegasus or die trying." After a few moments I look up at the wooden beams of the top of the cabin and smile. "I'm not going to bite, Helena."

"Oh, and I should warn you. I'm like a magnet when it comes to monsters, so you better be good with a bow, because all I know how to do is play drums."
Back to top Go down
Nevermore

Nevermore

PostSubject: Re: The New Kid on the Block    The New Kid on the Block  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 10:01 pm

Helena laughed at what Jack said about her father figure. It did made her blush a little deeper shade of red, but his acceptance made her feel good. "I wanted to be loved for what I was. I think that is what made me want to be like him." She confessed.

But when Jack stood up, it took her by surprise. The things he said about her shocked Helena even more though and as soon as she took his hand and stood up, the young woman pulled Jack into a light hug. Her eyes had lit up and she moved back a little bit just so she could look at his face.

"You cannot mean it!" She was delighted. "Well, you may have never been a pirate, but you have done something no one ever has done before!" She finally let Jack out of the hug and nodded confidently. "I would rather have you than Johnny Depp." Helena affirmed concretely.

Smoothing out her shirt, Helena looked over her shoulder at the exit to their cabin and then back to Jack. "We will learn! And we will go to Orlando and to visit St. Tropez!" There wasn't a bit of uncertaintt in her voice.

"...I am still leaning with my bow." She amitted, pointing to the equipment strapped to her back. "But I have my share of experience witg mo sters. I nearly took out a commuter bus on my way to the airport..." A little chuckle escaped her lips at how odd it sounded.

"Screwed up kids is the truth..."

(Did you want to continue this on another thread?)
Back to top Go down
a. hams
King of Hell
a. hams

PostSubject: Re: The New Kid on the Block    The New Kid on the Block  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 10:45 pm

ooc- Yeah, we better. I'll start it if you want.
Back to top Go down
a. hams
King of Hell
a. hams

PostSubject: Re: The New Kid on the Block    The New Kid on the Block  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 11:05 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The New Kid on the Block    The New Kid on the Block  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The New Kid on the Block
Page 1 of 1