Camp Half Blood
Oops! You're not logged in to Camp Half Blood! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you better register before the monsters come get you!
Camp Half Blood
Oops! You're not logged in to Camp Half Blood! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you better register before the monsters come get you!
Camp Half Blood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to CHB!
Camp Half Blood is the sister site of Camp Jupiter.

Long Time, No See [Avawstar]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Excelsior

Excelsior

Long Time, No See [Avawstar] Empty
PostSubject: Long Time, No See [Avawstar]   Long Time, No See [Avawstar] I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 10:42 pm

Magnus Starkweather was a badass, and he let everyone know it. He was 6'3" with ripped muscles and a powerful physique. He had spent more than a dozen years learning the arts of combat, from his first karate lessons at age 6 to military training under former soldiers and of course, sparring at Camp Half-Blood. On top of that, he was a son of Zeus, and had the ability to wield lightning itself. But today was a rare day. Today, Magnus realized that he might, in fact, have bitten off more than he could chew.

It started out as a typical weekend--at least, typical for him. He'd left camp on his Harley dressed in a lightning-print camouflage outfit, wraparound shades, a combat helmet and a balaclava with bronze armour over top. This was the uniform of his alter ego, the masked vigilante Thunder Hawk. Magnus had set off patrolling the suburbs of New York, looking for criminals and monsters alike. By lunchtime Saturday, he'd bagged 3 dracanae, 5 harpies and 6 would-be muggers. That was when things went wrong.

A big hellhound had knocked him off his chopper as he was driving down a lonely farm road. At least 10 of the thing's buddies had emerged from out of nowhere and surrounded him. Magnus blasted them with lightning, and more had showed up. He was badly outnumbered and had to retreat off the road, into the vegetation. They had given chase, eager for demigod flesh.

That was Saturday afternoon. It was now Sunday evening, and Thunder Hawk had still not made his way back to camp. Instead, he found himself booking through the woods with a herd of various monsters on his tail. By intuition and deductive reasoning, he knew he was somewhat close to camp, but being waylaid had thrown his sense of direction off. Plus, he was tired. He wasn't sure how much longer he could keep running and gunning.

Magnus burst into a forest clearing, only to spot 4 big hellhounds waiting for him, fangs bared, ears pinned back. The sound of pursuing harpies behind prevented him from just turning around and running. The son of Zeus cursed, raising his battle axes for yet another brawl.
Where the hell's backup when you need it?
Back to top Go down
Avawstar

Avawstar

PostSubject: Re: Long Time, No See [Avawstar]   Long Time, No See [Avawstar] I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 6:47 pm

It is quite interesting, Syn felt, how sound carried so far even through the dense vegetation of the forest. Winter or not, trees did tend to block out sound, yet the pounding of heavy feet crashing through the wood could easily reach her ears. Then again, her senses were better than the norm.

After travelling for a month since her last long stop, Syn new that she was close to camp, having travelled these woods many times before. The sounds of the hunt were familiar, too, and it sent shivers of anticipation down her spine. She hadn't seen a good fight for over a month, the only beasts she had come across recently not expecting the child of Maia to appear before them with her blade flashing. She checked it now, her hands running over the elaborate carvings of the sheath, and feeling that Twig was secure, she started to run.

In her sheepskin coat over a red shirt and dark blue jeans, Syn tore through the forest towards the sounds of pursuit. Her short red curls streamed out behind her as she dashed to the clearing, leaping as she grabbed the lowest branch of an old oak, the momentum of her movement swinging her forwards and up high enough to draw her dagger with her left hand. Her eyes quickly took in the scene before her, putting pictures to the sounds she had heard. Four large hellhounds stood between her and a masked figure in what she thought to be a strange, yet faintly familiar get up. Her eyes passed over him and back to the hellhounds; she knew there were more creatures to come, and recognized the calls of the harpies, but her attention was focused on the immediate threat.

This whole deduction took less than a few seconds, and was followed by a thud and a yelp as she landed on the back of the nearest hellhound. It vanished in a cloud of golden dust as the blade of her knife entered the side of its neck, causing her to drop to the ground suddenly, crouched and ready. With two hellhounds to her left, and one to her right she was now surrounded, yet she still had a few more moments until they all recovered from the sudden interruption. Leaping to the right, she took out the beast with little more than a struggle as it reacted violently, it's jaws snapping dangerously close to her face. Her right hand came up quickly, however, shaped like a talon as she morphed it to get a good grip, holding the creatures head away just enough as she plunged the dagger into its chest, vaporising it before spinning to face the rest of opponents, expecting them to have leaped at her by now.

Back to top Go down
http://corporal-creampuff.tumblr.com/
Excelsior

Excelsior

PostSubject: Re: Long Time, No See [Avawstar]   Long Time, No See [Avawstar] I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 6:55 pm

Many individuals would have been surprised at Syn's sudden entrance and paused to wonder where she had come from, but military training had taught Magnus to save his questions for later. He raised one axe and felt a familiar hum along the weapon's length as he charged it with lightning. Then he let loose with a coil of electricity that chained between both hellhounds to the left of his new ally, vaporizing them both. As the harpies closed the distance from behind, Magnus whirled and fired another blast from his second axe, frying the first few to a crisp and giving the others a reason to back off, at least for the time being.

That's when he actually focused on the girl who had just burst from the trees, and realized with a start that she was not, in fact, a stranger. Her auburn hair was shorter than he remembered, but he recognized her intense teal eyes and her pretty, yet guarded features.
"Syn? Cinnamon Rayne?" he ventured, clipping one axe to his belt so he could remove his balaclava and sunglasses, letting her see his own face.
Back to top Go down
Avawstar

Avawstar

PostSubject: Re: Long Time, No See [Avawstar]   Long Time, No See [Avawstar] I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 7:26 pm

The flare of lighting, although sudden and unexpected, did not frighten Syn, it merely focused her attention on the larger figure. Her eyes inquisitive, she studied him warily for a moment, unused to the presence of another demigod from her absence, then blinked in surprise at her name passing his lips. The voice was familiar, and she took a step closer involuntarily, frowning as he removed the balaclava revealing the familiar, chunky features.

"Magnus?" she said incredulously, her features lighting up from it's cautious look to a more friendly look of surprise. "This is both ironic and unexpected!" she said, followed by a short laugh as she glanced past him into the forest. "How on earth did you get so many friends?" she said, grinning gesturing her still claw-shaped hand to the harpies before drawing it back. She turned, facing him side on so he couldn't see it properly; it was obvious she was unsure of the reactions she would get, and Syn met his eyes squarely, as if she expected hostility. After a second, she glanced away, looking into the woods with a frown as the harpies drew her attention.

"So we might want to deal with them" she said as the half birds regained their confidence, her left hand tightening around the handle of her dagger.
Back to top Go down
Excelsior

Excelsior

PostSubject: Re: Long Time, No See [Avawstar]   Long Time, No See [Avawstar] I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 7:58 pm

"Syn, it is you! Wha...where the hell did you go anyway?" Magnus wondered aloud, gripping both of his weapons again as the harpies entered the clearing and began flying around them. One dove towards him foolishly, and was rewarded with a swift axe blade to the neck. As that creature disintegrated, Magnus glanced to the side in time to see Syn dispatch a second harpy with a quick thrust of her knife.
"I don't know, Syn. Are you sure it's you? The girl I remember with that name was a lot more shy and a lot less of a fighter! You go to boot camp or something?"
Back to top Go down
Avawstar

Avawstar

PostSubject: Re: Long Time, No See [Avawstar]   Long Time, No See [Avawstar] I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 10:36 pm

Laughing, Syn shrugged. "You could call it that" she said, quickly grabbing the leg of the next harpy in her claw as it swooped down at her. With an angry screech, it tried to break free, only to find her dagger in its side, causing it to disintegrate. "I had a bit of an accident with...a new power" she said, before being cut short as she saw a harpy dive for Magnus, coming from behind him.
Instinctively, she reached out with her mind, and the bushes nearest her seemed to explode as a small flock of sparrows flew screaming at the monsters face. Startled, the creature pulled up short, attempting to swipe the small birds aside. Suddenly Syn was behind the harpy, and a flash of her blade saw the end of it. "Go" she told to the sparrows, sending them flying away, before turning to grin at the son of Zues.
"I've learnt a few things" she said, the smallest of smiles playing across her features. "I see you're still up to your old tricks"
Back to top Go down
Excelsior

Excelsior

PostSubject: Re: Long Time, No See [Avawstar]   Long Time, No See [Avawstar] I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 10:42 pm

"You know it. The Thunder Hawk sleeps when he's dead," Magnus replied, nodding in appreciation as he watched his fellow demigod fight. The last time he'd seen Cinnamon Rayne, she had been shy and nervous, certainly not a warrior. Now, she moved with the grace and precision of a trained martial artist, and her demeanor was much more confident and decisive. Plus, it looked like she was commanding animals, like those sparrows, to help. And...there was the fact that one hand had suddenly morphed into a claw.
"Yeah, you definitely did learn a few things," the son of Zeus remarked, cutting down the final harpy in the area. "Like, you wanna tell me what is up with that claw arm?"
Back to top Go down
Avawstar

Avawstar

PostSubject: Re: Long Time, No See [Avawstar]   Long Time, No See [Avawstar] I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 10:54 pm

"The only explanation I can give is...my powers grew?" she said, her pitch raising a little at the end of the sentence as if questioning whether or not that was enough information. "I used to be able to only talk, and mildly control, animals, but now..." she trailed off, her eyes expertly scanning the edges of the clearing before raising her right 'claw' to look at it. "I can become an animal" she whispered, her tone almost awed as she she stared at her palm.
A frown creasing her brow, she seemed to zone out, and a few seconds past before her hand was a hand again. "The hard part is changing back."
She looked up at him after a few moments, absently sheathing the dagger as she studied him curiously. "What's happened while I have been...away?" she asked, a little more quiet now that the danger was gone. "It's been, what, over a year now?"
Back to top Go down
Excelsior

Excelsior

PostSubject: Re: Long Time, No See [Avawstar]   Long Time, No See [Avawstar] I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 11:07 pm

"You can turn into animals. Not only that, you can turn your body parts into animal body parts. That's pretty badass," Magnus remarked with a lopsided smirk. The fight over, he willed his double-bladed hand axes to return to their keychain forms, allowing him to store them with ease.
"Yeah, over a year. Although I wouldn't be the right person to ask about what you missed. I haven't really been around myself. A trip to visit my mom turned into a sting operation against a drug cartel, and of course monsters crashed that party too. Plus, I've had some disputes with some of the other campers. Nothing serious, but honestly, some things about camp piss me right off. Like how so many of those kids care more about getting a date than saving the damn world."
Back to top Go down
Avawstar

Avawstar

PostSubject: Re: Long Time, No See [Avawstar]   Long Time, No See [Avawstar] I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 4:53 pm

Syn averted her gaze suddenly, eyes brushing over the forest around them silently as she suddenly remembered Adam, and took a moment to cover the turmoil of emotions threatening to burst from deep within. "Don't think" she whispered, voice barely audible as a slight frown made itself visible.
She scratched at her hand that had transformed, clenching and unclenching it as she turned back to study him. The truth was, it ached every time she changed. Like an overworked muscle, the slight pain was pleasant but irritating, and the human form she was born into often felt restricting for a time after. "Jeez, you sure do get into a lot of trouble" she said, trying to bring herself out of her little reverie. "Are you sure Ares isn't your father?" she added after a moment, her expression lightening with a smile. She herself had had her own trouble, what with the travelling alone again, this time with a strange ability that she often lost herself in, be it voluntarily or otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Excelsior

Excelsior

PostSubject: Re: Long Time, No See [Avawstar]   Long Time, No See [Avawstar] I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 6:22 pm

At that, Magnus gave a hearty chuckle. "Hah, I've gotten that one before. But come on, you think Ares is the only guy with a big stick who ain't afraid to use it? Zeus didn't get to be king of Olympus by being a pacifist, and I'm just as much a soldier as any son of Ares. Well, any real son of Ares, not those arrogant a-holes who think they're so spectacular just because they can throw a punch."
The irony of him criticizing someone else for their pride failing to register, Magnus then realized that, after nearly an entire weekend of combat, he was thirsty and tired. He sat down heavily against a tall oak tree and took a deep breath. "Hey, you got any water, any food? I'm out, and I'm drained."
Back to top Go down
Avawstar

Avawstar

PostSubject: Re: Long Time, No See [Avawstar]   Long Time, No See [Avawstar] I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 3:06 am

She shrugged her shoulders, mildly amused to the obvious obliviousness that he exuded as he basically described one of his well known traits shown through the act of his secret identity. Prideful and strong, she could tell he knew his own capabilities, but she didn't point the similarities between him and the words he just spoke of others. No, he was a little more humble than those he spoke of, and he tried to use his own powers and skills to help in some way, even if it is quite violent. She shook her head, smiling at her thoughts as she studied him a moment longer.
The sudden change from his usual commanding self caused Syn to blink in surprise, her eyes quickly picking up the should be obvious signs of fatigue. She shook her head again, red curls tumbling about her face as she frowned worriedly. "I have water but the food..." she began, her frown deepening as she drew out a travel bottle hidden beneath her warm coat and held it out for him, "I have some, but not on me." Syn began scanning the trees to pick out a landmark she could recognize. "I know this clearing, there is a small food stash a little west of here. No more than a few minutes walk. It's not much, only a pack of berries and nuts and anything else I could forage for," she glanced at him, concerned. "Can you walk, or...." her voice trailed off, waiting for his response.
Back to top Go down
Excelsior

Excelsior

PostSubject: Re: Long Time, No See [Avawstar]   Long Time, No See [Avawstar] I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 8:27 pm

Quickly seizing the water bottle, Magnus put it to his lips and emptied it's contents in about 30 seconds. His mouth curved into a smile, and he let out another deep breath. "Gods, that tastes awesome. Just what I needed. You're a lifesaver, Syn. You really are. Just give me a couple minutes, then take me to that stash."
5 minutes later, the two demigods were walking through the woods again, both scanning their surroundings in case more monsters showed up. As they arrived at the place Syn had mentioned, Magnus waited for her to find the stash. As she did, another question came to his mind.

"Hey, didn't you have a boyfriend back at camp, last I checked?"
Back to top Go down
Avawstar

Avawstar

PostSubject: Re: Long Time, No See [Avawstar]   Long Time, No See [Avawstar] I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 10:41 pm

Although the possibility of another attack kept her alert, her eyes scanning through the trees as she listened for any signs of an unwelcome presence, Syn was rather relaxed, walking silently through the forest, her hands occasionally stroking the bark of a tree. As they reached the location, she easily spotted the boulder she hid the food beside.
Walking up to it, she kicked around in the snow, looking for the familiar, flat stone which she used as a shovel.
She began digging roughly as she smashed the rock into the hard, frozen ground, nearly jumping as he asked the question. She stopped, frozen, hand poised to forceably push the stone down again, yet the blow never came. Her muscles tensed, and she carefully sorted through her sudden turmoil of emotions and thoughts as a familiar face flickered through her mind. Adam, she thought, her shoulders sagging a little.
"I-" Syn hesitated, then shoved the make-shift shovel into the dirt once again and threw it all to the side. "I don't know" the words rang hollow, and she drew out the smallish metal lunch box from the ground, wiping off the dirt as she stood. She turned, taking a deep breath as she faced him. "I've been gone" she said for an explanation, holding the box out for him absently, distant eyes drifting to the woods again.
Back to top Go down
Excelsior

Excelsior

PostSubject: Re: Long Time, No See [Avawstar]   Long Time, No See [Avawstar] I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 5:40 pm

"Right." Magnus took the lunchbox, opened it and grabbed a handful of berries, but despite his hunger, he did not eat with the voracious speed of a man his size after intense physical activity. He knew he'd touched a tender spot with that last question, and a small part of his mind scolded him for being so insensitive. It wasn't a feeling he had often, but for some reason, he seemed to care a little more about Syn than the vast majority of females in his life. It was very strange.
"Sorry about that, I uh...I was just wondering," Magnus explained, sitting down to finish off the food. "You left so suddenly. I thought maybe you died, abducted or something. Every time I left camp I kept an eye out for you, just to see if you were still alive."
Back to top Go down
Avawstar

Avawstar

PostSubject: Re: Long Time, No See [Avawstar]   Long Time, No See [Avawstar] I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 2:45 am

She shook her head, leaning back onto the nearest tree as she folded her arms, her mood subdued. "You didn't know" Syn said simply, eyes peering into the distance as if focusing on some unseeable object. She remained silent, just thinking, a slight frown creasing her forehead.
"I didn't have a choice in leaving" she said suddenly, as if the long few minutes had not passed at all. "My new ability overcame me so suddenly, and I....got stuck" she said, those blue-green eyes of hers still unfocused as she stood there, unmoving. "You have to understand that as great as it may sound, waking up in the form of a bear is one of the most unsettling things I have ever experienced. I thought I had finally gone crazy. But when I realized what was happening, I got confused." She spoke now as if she were in a dream, her voice quiet, eyes downcast, her red curls falling around her face and almost concealing it. "I had no choice but to leave.--" she flinched as she went to say his name, but shook of the feeling of guilt suddenly plaguing her. "I thought I was going to be stuck like that." She looked at him finally, her body trembling.
She had no idea where this sudden need had come from, this urge to explain everything that had happened, but giving in had felt much better than letting the guilt stew inside of her. "I-I'm sorry I just dumped that on you like that, I needed to get it out of my system" she said, a little hesitant and almost back to her old shy self for a moment, but it quickly faded, and she stared out into the wood once again, noticing silence. Hmm.... she thought, frowning. Something does not feel right.
Back to top Go down
Excelsior

Excelsior

PostSubject: Re: Long Time, No See [Avawstar]   Long Time, No See [Avawstar] I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2013 4:52 pm

"You're sorry?" Before he could stop himself, Magnus walked over and placed his hand on Syn's shoulder. "What do you have to be sorry about? I totally get it now, why you left without warning. I would've been rattled too if that happened to me, and I've had military training. Besides, you've been alone for a long time. No surprise you wanted to talk to someone."
Then he noticed her gaze, which had fixated itself on the woods. "See anything?"
Back to top Go down
Avawstar

Avawstar

PostSubject: Re: Long Time, No See [Avawstar]   Long Time, No See [Avawstar] I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 4:12 am

An absent smile played across Syn's lips, glad to hear his words. She glanced at the hand on her shoulder absently, not really noting it as she returned her eyes to the woods. There were more pressing things to think about this minute.
"Nothing, but...." she replied, her eyes narrowing. "I can't hear anything" she whispered, taking in the silence tensely. The forest seemed still, as if it were holding it's breath, and she frowned further, turning slowly to take in the woods behind her. "I will check with the animals" she muttered, and opened her mind wider to her surroundings.
She gasped suddenly as a wave of alarm washed over her, the fear sickening her a little and she stumbled backwards into Magnus, ready to run away as her animal instincts threatened to take over. "No" she growled, glaring past the rock she had dug the lunch box from. Her hand once again transformed into the claw, and her blade was in her free hand as she stood defiantly. "Magnus, there is something there, but I don't know what." She hesitated before adding in a a quiet voice, "It's big."
Back to top Go down
Excelsior

Excelsior

PostSubject: Re: Long Time, No See [Avawstar]   Long Time, No See [Avawstar] I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 8:13 pm

"No rest for the weary, huh? Typical." Magnus, having wolfed down the last of the food, drew his battle axes and willed a current of electricity to run along each blade. Luckily, he'd had a chance to refuel and rest, but he was still tired. If not for the fact that he was a very well-conditioned athlete, he might not even be ready for a fight at this point. But he was. He didn't have much of a choice.

That's when the Cyclops charged into the clearing.

It was a big one, about 14 feet tall, brandishing an improvised steel club murderously. It's single eye fixed on the two demigods, and it howled, baring it's yellowed teeth. Unlike most monsters, this giant wore several pieces of metal over the chest, shoulders and legs. Magnus took one look at that and cursed. The armour didn't look too impressive, but it would work wonders at defending against his lightning.

"Syn, start moving, I'll keep this guy distracted," he ordered, regaining his dominant soldier attitude.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Long Time, No See [Avawstar]   Long Time, No See [Avawstar] I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Long Time, No See [Avawstar]
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Camp Half Blood :: Miscellaneous :: Graveyard-
Jump to: