Camp Half Blood
Oops! You're not logged in to Camp Half Blood! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you better register before the monsters come get you!
Camp Half Blood
Oops! You're not logged in to Camp Half Blood! If you're already registered with us, click log in. If you're not, you better register before the monsters come get you!
Camp Half Blood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to CHB!
Camp Half Blood is the sister site of Camp Jupiter.

Chatbox Notification Sound?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Grey

Location : Spring, Texas! Don't worry we really aren't all rednecks lol

Chatbox Notification Sound? Empty
PostSubject: Chatbox Notification Sound?   Chatbox Notification Sound? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 12:23 am

Its happened to all of us. Didn't notice a message in the chatbox cuz you were too busy reading a forum or doing homework or whatever? Yeah you all feel my pain. I don't even know if its possible, and I'm sure its been brought up before, but it could really use a notification sound when a message comes in, a muteable one. Something like the Facebook pop, when someone chats you. Just an idea!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Notification Sound?   Chatbox Notification Sound? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 1:26 am

The Chatbox is something that came with this forum when it was made, it being Forummotion. We don't have control over it other than basic settings and having it enabled or not. So, we can't add this ourselves. Also, with the spamming sessions we have, it would be sure to give you a headache eventually.
Back to top Go down
Skye
THE YODELMEISTER
THE YODELMEISTER
Skye

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Notification Sound?   Chatbox Notification Sound? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 1:56 am

It would be better to suggest that action over at this forum: http://help.forumotion.com/forum
Back to top Go down
Grey

Location : Spring, Texas! Don't worry we really aren't all rednecks lol

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Notification Sound?   Chatbox Notification Sound? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 2:06 am

Good point zelly lol. And ok thanks sky
Back to top Go down
Sniggle
Mega Asshole Duo
Sniggle

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Notification Sound?   Chatbox Notification Sound? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 2:17 am

Yeah when it gets crowded it would be like DIND DING DING and get really irritating really quick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Notification Sound?   Chatbox Notification Sound? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 2:53 am

Spoiler:

Just to prove it :P
Those are the only options we get for the Chatbox.
Back to top Go down
Alexis.

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Notification Sound?   Chatbox Notification Sound? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 3:27 am

Yeah but we can make a custom chatbox. I mean we have many users who are very good at HTML
Back to top Go down
Skye
THE YODELMEISTER
THE YODELMEISTER
Skye

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Notification Sound?   Chatbox Notification Sound? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 3:49 am

A custom chatbox would be harder to moderate than the one that is already built into forumotion. We have a set list of moderators on Camp Half-Blood, and moving it over to a different chatbox would be more difficult, and frankly quite annoying.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Notification Sound?   Chatbox Notification Sound? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 4:42 am

As far as I know, we couldn't create a decent Chatbox in HTML. Our current one is in JavaScript, and all others I've seen are also in JavaScript, and our current one is extremely basic as far as Chatboxes go. I know there are alternatives, but most of them are ones you need to pay a set amount every month or week for. There are donation systems we can put in place, but honestly how many of our members would actually donate? All but a few of us are teenagers, and we can't generally just donate to random sites.

The other problem Skye pointed out is the moderator system. How do we know how easy it will be to keep our current moderators? How do we know that you can't just have one administrator for it? Will the commands we have now that we use frequently be available?

Our bans would probably just disappear, as this would be an off-site Chatbox that we just have linked into our forum. We'd have to go to the hassle of finding all the IPs of the users to ban them, which would take quite a while.

As good as it would be if we could find the perfect one, it's too much hassle to change Chatboxes just so we can have an alert system.
Back to top Go down
cher
Experienced Poster
cher

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Notification Sound?   Chatbox Notification Sound? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 7:39 am

I could probably find a script to help code a chatbox in Javascript, but I need a third party host and it would be very frustrating in between the members. Also, we have a large site, and the chatbox that one would code can't have set usernames, which is a safety and moderation thing too.

Also, I'm not sure whether it's in the site's terms of use to host a third party server on Forumotion. There's also the problem of spacing and margins, meaning that the chat may cause the site to load for a longer time, lag, and it's just frustrating.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Notification Sound?   Chatbox Notification Sound? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 4:12 pm

Ehhh. I know several people that could get us hosting, but it wouldn't be as good as we'd need. Over twenty people uploading and downloading in the Chatbox constantly takes up a decent amount of Internet.

Other Chatboxes I've seen have systems where you register your username, and protect it with a password.

It doesn't really matter anyway though.
Back to top Go down
cher
Experienced Poster
cher

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Notification Sound?   Chatbox Notification Sound? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 6:47 pm

Also, it would mess up our layout and everything. -shrugs-
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chatbox Notification Sound?   Chatbox Notification Sound? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chatbox Notification Sound?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Camp Half Blood :: Community :: Suggestion Box-
Jump to: